Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Snakes in Ireland day! Now how did I miss that celebration? Rather un-Irish of me I'd say.

Jim

Comment

I see said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and...

...saw.

AkBoater- Thank you for clearing up some very muddy water, I am humbled.

Jim- I did read every post before answering. That's sound advice. Every post prior to mine in this thread referred to owls, or date night at the local watering hole, with one exception. Hoyt interjected something that seemed a bit off topic about blue grouse. Now that AkBoater has schooled us (me at least) on yet another term for "hooters", Hoyt's post makes sense now and was the only post in line with the OP's original intent.

SoggyMountain-you can have your thread back. Sorry to have contributed(although unintentionally) to the near hijacking of it. And since I'm on the right page in the right book now...

Man, I love grouse! Much rather them than ptarmigan(or owls). I'm a bit of an opportunist though. I have rarely gone out for them alone. Usually bring Judo points while moose hunting and hope to see them.

Comment

Originally posted by PG13 View Post
        Someone post pics if they are successful please. I went on a hike with a gun yesterday with the my wife, 8 month old, and the beast. Took the Goldmint Trail at Hatcher Pass. Saw lots of hare tracks, and a single "grouse" track. Went to investigate without snowshoes and buried past my hip. Seems my only hope for my first Alaskan small game is dwindling.
        PG, I plan on taking a camera with me this year. I had responded to someone else's post about wanting info and pics on blue grouse, but they never replied back .... and now the clock is running.... it won't be long.

You're not alone in post-holing in the snow. It is a common part of the day when hunting blue grouse. They perch up high on the mountains and have a rythmic delivery to their call - "whoot, whoot, whoot, whoot, whoot." That's the rooster. Hens are found lower down on the mountain early in the spring until they hear the males above. They respond to him with a cackle that's a bit like other grouse but with a bit of a purr to it.... sounds like a cat and a chicken at the same time to me. "mmuuuhawk meck mecka meck." With few exceptions, I try not to shoot the hens.
        "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Comment

Originally posted by yogibear View Post
          SoggyMountain-you can have your thread back. Sorry to have contributed(although unintentionally) to the near hijacking of it. And since I'm on the right page in the right book now...

Man, I love grouse! Much rather them than ptarmigan(or owls). I'm a bit of an opportunist though. I have rarely gone out for them alone. Usually bring Judo points while moose hunting and hope to see them.
          It wouldn't be the AOD without a good hijack. I know how to return to OP, but was enjoying the detour.
          Last edited by SoggyMountain; 03-20-2011, 17:32. Reason: "no" - "know" Fixed.
          "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McCann View Post
            AkBoater,

You are, of course, correct. A fellow needs to slow down and really read all the posts before answering I guess.
            I request "WHAT" in the Original Post, indicates "NOT OWLS"........:question::question::question:

Comment

Originally posted by AKBoater View Post
              I think folks are confused here. Soggy was asking about grouse, in the spring the males find a tree and hoot as a mating call.
              And So does the "Great Horned Owl"........What is the clear Clue in the original post, that would cause anyone to conclude one bird and NOT another bird........:question::question::question:

Comment

I happen to like owls.
                Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                  And So does the "Great Horned Owl"........What is the clear Clue in the original post, that would cause anyone to conclude one bird and NOT another bird........:question::question::question:
                  My clue was we hunt hooters in SE in the spring, so that was a natural for me.
                  Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                    I request "WHAT" in the Original Post, indicates "NOT OWLS"........:question::question::question:
                    Don't get caught up in the great "hooter code" conspiracy. You can play with it (if you must), and I'll watch and have a laugh.

I don't know anyone that goes out to listen for owls. Hearing owls and listening for owls are two different things. That's like saying I'm an expert at spotting eagles because I can't step out of the door without seeing them. I'm not looking for them, but there they are.

Those who hunt blues know what a hooter is. ... and I watch for their responses while getting a laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyMountain View Post

I don't know anyone that goes out to listen for owls. Hearing owls and listening for owls are two different things.

Those who hunt blues know what a hooter is. ... and I watch for their responses while getting a laugh.
                      Well unfortunately, you asked is anyone HEARING hooters, not listening for them, so this point, while true, is totally inapplicable. Also, there are those who do not hunt blues and therefore, like 90% of the general population, would decipher a "hooter" to mean an owl, since every child is taught that owls hoot. It would be nice if the guy who left the unclear (and according to his own standards, poorly worded) original post wouldn't try to act like everyone else is stupid.

Comment

I'm sorry for sniping the thread. No one jumped in and started talking about bumblebees and Oldsquaws when I asked about "sharptails" last week, so I shouldn't have said anything about 80085 or owls.

Comment

Originally posted by AK Explorer View Post
                          Well unfortunately, you asked is anyone HEARING hooters, not listening for them, so this point, while true, is totally inapplicable.
                          The first and only sentence in the post had to do with "listening."

Why would I listen for owls?

Work on that reasoning.

Comment

Went up the mtn yesterday afternoon and this afternoon with the daughter "listening" but nothing has started yet here.
                            Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyMountain View Post
                              The first and only sentence in the post had to do with "listening."

Why would I listen for owls?

Work on that reasoning.
                              I want this to sound as little like an argument as possible because the small game area is a place of peace and tranquility and higher learning, but I do believe you're not giving the owls enough credit. There are definitely more people in the world who go out to hear owls on purpose than go out to hear hooters. Granted, since we are indeed in the small game area, it should have been obvious that you were referring to the grouse, but to dismiss the great horned owl, barred owl, or any other hooter as unworthy of your listen is a disservice to the outdoors. What could be more worthwhile than taking the time to stop in a quiet place and listen to an owl?

Comment

It has been a long time since i have seen a blue, or heard his hoot. However as a sure sign of spring to come, I did watch a Raven work on his nest this weekend past.
                                squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X