Which 20 gauge for small game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 808Alaska View Post
    Ok well im looking at spending under 300 dollars so i was looking at the mossberg 500 with the blue wood stock. can anyone tell me about this gun? goods/bads? and possibly some other guns under 300 taht are good? thanks for all the help so far.
    I love my 12 gauge, I have a synthetic stock so it was ~$340 smooth action, has never misfired, interchangeable and readily available chokes, a better finish than the 870 express (according to the guys at the gun shop that sells both models) and my favorite part is the placement of the saftey, on top of the gun instead of by the trigger.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

I have a couple of Mossbergs in 12 ga. Nothing wrong with them. Hard to hurt 'em and you don't mind the scratches and such while hunting. Always go bang and when I do my part game falls. That is my idea of beauty in a firearm.

Comment

20 gauge

While it is not good for waterfoul hunting, what I like and carry a lot is a Savage 24C 22/20 guage. I can take the first shot with the 22 and if there is another that takes off I have the 20 gauge for the follow-up. It breaks down and packs real easy. Down side is that it is a single shot and with gloves on it takes a little to reload. Still a fun gun.

Comment

20 gauge double

When I was younger,I used what I had...a Savage pump action 12 gauge,which my dad gave me for Christmas one year. Model 179 TD (same action as the 67)--I believe it may have been meant as a trap shooting model,as it has a 30 inch barrel marked "Mod". Weighs about 7 3/4 pounds--when you get it swinging....it keeps on swinging Shot piles of snowshoe hares with that thing and could not seem to miss. Also managed to get some grouse with it--although admitedly probably not the best gun for grouse. In recent times I purchased a little Stoeger 20 gauge coach gun...great little gun! It's light and very well regulated....centers the pattern beautifully with both barrels! And it costs right around your 300 dollar mark. I have only shot targets (including skeet) with it--but it shoots great and I know it would make a great small game gun. It would do in a pinch for waterfowl--but ideally,you'd probably want longer barrels for that. Can double as a home defense gun--as it also throws a great close range buckshot pattern.

Comment

more question!

First off i wanna thank you guys for helping me out here and answering all these questions i throw at you guys, haha so thank you. And referring to AK River Rat,what is the difference between youth and regular guns besides the barrel length? and if i decide to get a Remington 870 express 26" would that be a good gun for small game, waterfowl, and could i possibly shoot slugs out of it for slighty larger game such as dall sheep? again thanks for all the advice, keep um commin.

Comment

Remington 870's are great guns are you still going to go with a 20 gauge. A youth gun normally has a smaller stock so it fits their arm length better. A 20 guage will work fine on small game as does a 12 but a 20 is probably better. For ducks a 20 gauge will work I have a friend that uses a 20 gauge and drops plenty of big mallards with it during duck season and it's the only shot gun he uses. As for using it to take a dall sheep I don't know of anybody that shoots slugs for sheep, I would say you would want a rifle from a 270 up to a 300 somewhere along there, there is other options I'm sure that people use that are bigger or smaller but this seems to be fairly common calibers for sheep. Good luck with your purchase.

jake

Comment

When a man is on a budget his first priority when shopping is buying that one shotgun to do all. With your current budget of 300 you can buy an excellent shotgun with money leftover for a box of shells. Make your money go far, that's the good thing about guns, you dont have to spend a lot to get a good one. The stoeger is pretty hard to beat. You can pick one up from sportmans for around $270 brand new. The stoeger pump has a rotating bolt lock-up like a winchester speed pump and benelli nova pump. It's actually mechanically idenditcal to the benelli and it weighs around 6.5 lbs. It comes with 5 chokes and wrench. The stoeger is a 3 1/2" chamber. Cant' beat that. The rails that operate the pump are a solid milled chunk of aluminum that are connected together where it attaches to the bolt. It's a lot tougher than the stamped pieces of sheet metal rails on the rem. and win. pumps. Pumps like the stoeger have always been the working class man's gun. A lot of our fathers and grandfathers have filled the freezer with those old weathered pumps too.
                www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

Originally posted by AK Bearcat View Post
                  While it is not good for waterfoul hunting, what I like and carry a lot is a Savage 24C 22/20 guage. I can take the first shot with the 22 and if there is another that takes off I have the 20 gauge for the follow-up.
                  I think that might be illegal to use for waterfowl. Maybe that's what you meant by "not good."

Comment

Originally posted by 808Alaska View Post
                    First off i wanna thank you guys for helping me out here and answering all these questions i throw at you guys, haha so thank you. And referring to AK River Rat,what is the difference between youth and regular guns besides the barrel length? and if i decide to get a Remington 870 express 26" would that be a good gun for small game, waterfowl, and could i possibly shoot slugs out of it for slighty larger game such as dall sheep? again thanks for all the advice, keep um commin.
                    Youth guns have shorter stocks to fit stubby kid arms.

The 26" 'rustpress' will be fine for small game. That barrel length is normal for most pump guns.

Slug hunting beyond 50 yards require a slug barrel and even then the range is limited to about 100 yards due to the quality of the ammo. You are going to carry a 9 pound gun that only shoots to 100 yards with any accuracy into sheep country?

OK I have to ask, based on the types of questions and how they are phrased, when do you graduate high school? Are you old enough to hunt with out adult supervision?

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
                      When a man is on a budget his first priority when shopping is buying that one shotgun to do all. With your current budget of 300 you can buy an excellent shotgun with money leftover for a box of shells. Make your money go far, that's the good thing about guns, you dont have to spend a lot to get a good one. The stoeger is pretty hard to beat. You can pick one up from sportmans for around $270 brand new. The stoeger pump has a rotating bolt lock-up like a winchester speed pump and benelli nova pump. It's actually mechanically idenditcal to the benelli and it weighs around 6.5 lbs. It comes with 5 chokes and wrench. The stoeger is a 3 1/2" chamber. Cant' beat that. The rails that operate the pump are a solid milled chunk of aluminum that are connected together where it attaches to the bolt. It's a lot tougher than the stamped pieces of sheet metal rails on the rem. and win. pumps. Pumps like the stoeger have always been the working class man's gun. A lot of our fathers and grandfathers have filled the freezer with those old weathered pumps too.
                      which exact stoeger are you talking about, what is the model? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AK Ray View Post
                        Youth guns have shorter stocks to fit stubby kid arms.

The 26" 'rustpress' will be fine for small game. That barrel length is normal for most pump guns.

Slug hunting beyond 50 yards require a slug barrel and even then the range is limited to about 100 yards due to the quality of the ammo. You are going to carry a 9 pound gun that only shoots to 100 yards with any accuracy into sheep country?

OK I have to ask, based on the types of questions and how they are phrased, when do you graduate high school? Are you old enough to hunt with out adult supervision?

lol yeah man im 18 im in college already i just dont know much about the sport yet. im a bowhunter getting into shotguns. and yeah one of the workers at sportsman told me about accuracy with the slugs so im just gonna get the remington 870 express 20 gauge 26" barrel laminate stock and just sitck to small game and waterfowl. all get another gun or try my bow out for sheep. i know, Bow for sheep sound crazy but i wanna try it! haha.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X