Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Hunt the Alaskan Hare in the southcentral region.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProHunterAK
    replied
    Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    It's rare when I take a photo while out rabbit hunting. But here is a preseason pic that I took with my boy with a few rabbits. Notice the brown color fur. Usually I skin my hares immediately after I shoot them. Makes it easier for carrying around with me and keeps the meat fresher. I would like to make a good quality video. I have been slowly making one over the last few years, but usually it is just me taking video of my 10 year old son so there are a lot of misses on the video. If I had a go pro maybe I could get better footage. It's fun watching the dogs work the rabbits. I'm gonna get out again soon. I'll get in touch with some of you that have pm'd me already.

you really should get that green dot looked at... it looks painful

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhack Jack
    replied
    Well I got out today with fellow forum member Bnkwnto. We managed to get 6 between the three of us plus a ruffed grouse. Definitely not my best day this year, but at least we managed to take a few. It was nice to meet you Bnkwnto. Hopefully we can get together to go after ptarmigan some time too. We went to a couple of my different spots that I go to regularly. The first spot we managed to take a few. The second spot was a bust. Not even any fresh tracks. Looked like somebody has been trapping there regularly so maybe the rabbits got pushed into another area with less pressure. Not sure why, but there seems to be less sign, but there still are some hares out there. As the winter progresses the conditions for hares decreases. Decreasing daylight and dry cold conditions make for harder hunting with the dogs too. Come February and March the conditions will begin to improve again. I usually don't have a problem getting enough for a meal for my family though. I stop hunting around April because the hares start breeding.

Leave a comment:

• bnkwnto
    replied
    Looks like a lot of fun.
    Travis

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhack Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by harveyspecter View Post
    Great Thread, but can u upload more picture?
    It's rare when I take a photo while out rabbit hunting. But here is a preseason pic that I took with my boy with a few rabbits. Notice the brown color fur. Usually I skin my hares immediately after I shoot them. Makes it easier for carrying around with me and keeps the meat fresher. I would like to make a good quality video. I have been slowly making one over the last few years, but usually it is just me taking video of my 10 year old son so there are a lot of misses on the video. If I had a go pro maybe I could get better footage. It's fun watching the dogs work the rabbits. I'm gonna get out again soon. I'll get in touch with some of you that have pm'd me already.

Leave a comment:

• harveyspecter
    replied
    Great Thread, but can u upload more picture?

Leave a comment:

• Bullwinkle 79
    replied
    Thanks for an awesome thread Matt! Now I know where to look for those guys when Im out grouse hunting down here around Seward!

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    I just learned today that lynx catch on the wildlife refuge down here was 10% of the previous years catch so the predators have definitely crashed, hopefully the hares will begin to rebound soon. I haven't been able to find any sign of them this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• AKRivers
    replied
    Originally posted by RoyalWe91 View Post
    Any one know/have suspicions as to where the rabbits in the Anchorage area went or what is affecting them? They seem to have all but vanished lately (the last year or so) what's up?

I could be wrong, I was wrong once. At least, I thought I was wrong but it turned out I was mistaken.
    As discussed in detail elsewhere on this site, and all over the interwebs, Snowshoe hare and Lynx populations fluctuate naturally over ~5-7 year cycles. This is a very common predator-prey population dynamic. Hare numbers rise, more Lynx kittens are born and survive to adulthood due to high food availability, and eventually they kill off all but a few hares. That makes Lynx numbers crash, so the surviving hares are able to repopulate the area. Rinse, repeat.

I assume hare do better in high snow years, too -- they stay afloat on soft snow better than lynx etc., and the snow depth elevates them enough so they can browse new areas of willows. Here on Anchorage's upper hillside, they have been solid white for a few weeks, and no doubt wish for snow as much as our local skiers and snow machiners do.

Leave a comment:

• RoyalWe91
    replied
    Any one know/have suspicions as to where the rabbits in the Anchorage area went or what is affecting them? They seem to have all but vanished lately (the last year or so) what's up?

I could be wrong, I was wrong once. At least, I thought I was wrong but it turned out I was mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• Mrpokey
    replied
    Great Thread, but definitely needs more pictures

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    I like to hunt thick brush with #4 heavy game loads and an open choke, i actually hunt with a short barreled (20") gun with no choke. Shots are typically 20 yards or less and this seems to work well usually end up with 4 or 5 pellets in the rabbit that way.

Leave a comment:

• LuJon
    replied
    How to Hunt the Alaskan Hare in the southcentral region.

Early or late is the best but if you get in the thick stuff you can kick them up at any time of day.

Leave a comment:

• AKSilverado
    replied
    Time of Day

What is the best time of day for rabbits, Ive never been out for them but was going to take my daughter this fall.

Leave a comment:

• tailwind
    replied
    Originally posted by FurFishGame View Post
    it oughta be a sticky

I second that! First sticky for the small game section. Can the mods do this up?

Leave a comment:

• FurFishGame
    replied
    it oughta be a sticky

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X