Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Hunt the Alaskan Hare in the southcentral region.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
    During the summer months the female Hare will be carrying leverets constantly. They actually have 2 uterus's (uteri <sp?>) and will actually be carrying 2 litters at any given time which is why they reproduce so fast!
    I learned this the hard way. I shot a hare in july (first animal I had ever shot actually) while out walking the trails looking for tracks. I proudly carried it back to camp, made a mess out of cleaning it and I felt pretty lousy when I pulled out 3 fully developed babies. Ugh I don't even like thinking about it. That was the first and last hare for me, I'll stick with the grouse!

Comment

Rabbits

Sometimes the hunting can be really good for these little guys

sigpic
      "I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
      The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Comment

Originally posted by Charles-C View Post
        I learned this the hard way. I shot a hare in july (first animal I had ever shot actually) while out walking the trails looking for tracks. I proudly carried it back to camp, made a mess out of cleaning it and I felt pretty lousy when I pulled out 3 fully developed babies. Ugh I don't even like thinking about it. That was the first and last hare for me, I'll stick with the grouse!
        Bummer, charles...

Moral of the story, dont shoot hare in July?!
        The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
        sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Originally posted by Charles-C View Post
          wow them little ones make the best stews!!!!:cool:
          "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

If they are big enough to put on a cracker, then they are big enough to eat.

That is why they are called Low Bush Moose.
            "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

An AOD classic thread...

and one of my favorite. Still great.
              No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Good write-up Matt. I've been out lookin' for bunnies twice so far, with the same guy. Both times he got one and I didn't.:rolleyes: I don't think I'll take him along anymore.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Comment

AKSolider, sounds like you need to go hunting with him more often.

Comment

Nah, he just got lucky. Of course, it could have something to do with the fact that both times he was carrying a shotgun and I was carying a .22 and both bunnies he got were on the move. I'd rather sneak up on 'em and shoot them with a rimfire anyhow.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Comment

TTT
                      Great Thread Matt. Now that caribou season is over I think some rabbit sounds good. Going out this weekend. Going to take the pointer for kicks, a buddy new to hare hunting and the shotgun. I'll post pics when I gottem

Comment

Thanks for draggin this one up! I was just thinking of getting the old fat beagle out in the woods this weekend. I got a hunch it should be good. Not to mention grouse can probably still be had as a bonus. Plus I still need to take those pics to go along with this thread.

Comment

where are you thinking about heading to? I need to get my wheeler and .22 out for a rally!
                          "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

This was a good one to dig back up. I've put lots of bunny meat on the table since this thread started. Matt was right! time of year and location are the two biggest variables in success in my experience. Recent weather also makes a big difference. I just started two weeks of leave, and I'm going to see if I can put my son on some bunnies. :topjob:

Comment

We are the newbees. Thanks for the advice. We are heading out this weekend. Hope to connect.

Comment

Thanks for the info, since I have been deployed have not got to hunt nothing but spring bear, Get to come home for R&R in Feb and was going to go bunny blasting, dont care if I get one or not just want to go hunting. My wife has never had the bouncy food so want to let her have a meal of some.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X