Bird dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird dogs

Was wondering what type of bird dogs everyone is using, pointers or flushers and why one breed over another.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

A little unusual

Now, you folks may laugh, but I just put some water wings on my pug dogs.

They do fine, as long as they're not retrieving birds bigger than they are.

'Course, that pretty much limits 'em to buffleheads and teal....

Comment

Well I'm a water fowler so I choose retrievers. Black Labs are probably the #1 dog in the state of Alaska.

Comment

gsp

i like german shorthaired pointers and german wiredhair pointers. My shorthaired does fine all year round

Comment

Just ordered a GSP yesterday. She will be in on Saturday, she is coming from Wisconsin

Comment

I picked up a German Wirehaired Pointer last Nov and look forward to hunting over her this fall. Grew up hunting one and was impressed to say the least with her versatality. Looks like the grouse population is up in numbers so it should be a fun time.
            http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Got my GSP about 3 weeks ago, great sense of smell and very smart dog, cant wait until she is old enough to hunt.

Terry

Comment

I had a German Shorthair for a long time. He was a great dog. Water retrieved anything, course rabbits, point birds and would blood trail. I took him through the dog hunting course when I was stationed in Germany and had a great time with him. He was better at hunting then I was. Sure do miss him.

Comment

wirehaired pointing griffons

We have two of these dogs (m/f) and they are well suited for Alaska and cold, wet climates with their double-layered coat and long hair.
                  They are as adept at pointing upland game as they are in the duck blind with their webbed feet and aggresive retrieves. These dogs love to please and they hunt hard.
                  I posted a pic, many have no clue what these dogs look like.
                  For further info check out:
                  www.awpga.com/
                  Well worth a look.
                  Last edited by fullkurl; 10-24-2008, 23:12.
                  Proud to be an American!

Comment

Nice looking dog Fullcurl, first pointing Griffon I have seen outside a book or magazine. Very similar to Wire haired pointers much thicker coats!
                    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

thanks Bronco...

heres a shot of our *****, Maggie. Shes sports a more typical grey coat than our brown male, Alf.
                      Shorthairs are fantastic dogs but overall they suffer in the extreme cold that griffs do well in.
                      Last edited by fullkurl; 10-24-2008, 23:12.
                      Proud to be an American!

Comment

Deutsch Drahthaar

I hunt with VDD registered Drahthaars, they are a great all around dog. Definately worth checking out. http://vdd-gna.org

Comment

german wirehaired pointer

Anyone hunt over the German wirehaired pointer?
                          I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Comment

Love em all...

I have three bird dogs, Weimaraner, Chessapeake and a Brittany. All have done a great job for me. I have hunted over several other breeds (German wirehairs, english pointers and setters, visla, shorthairs, spainiels, labs etc.) with a bit of training any one of the breeds will do the job. I believe it is a matter of personal preference and how much work you want to put into the dog. I grew up hunting ruffed grouse in Vermont without a dog. I shot plenty, but would not enjoy it nearly as much wihtout a dog now that I have seen them work.

Comment

PS- puppies

My Brittany is being bred this week, if all goes well puppies will be available in December. Hips and eyes have been checked, quality bloodlines and from proven trial/hunting stock.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X