Rabbit Hunting Pics =d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats alot of bunnies

anybody been out to jim creek, or the hay flats lately....my dog is getting antsy...i know it aint the best time of the year to shoot em but she loves running and i'll kill one or two to make her happy
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Comment

08' Bunnies.

For those of you that have not seen baby snowshoe hare, this gives you an idea of how small they are. These guys are less than 12 hrs. old. The other pic, they are roughly two months old.

Summit
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice pics Summit! Talk about great camoflauge on that first pic

Comment

They stop breeding in August up here and untill then they are perpetually pregnate since they have 2 uteruses! I don't hunt them till after the first hard frost and by then they are done breeding, free of lice, and turning white!

Comment

The rabbit and grouse were in Yoshida's original, honey teriyaki, Korean Kalbi finally we did a spicy honey. There were lots of different flavors to choose from depending on you're taste. We made so much, I was eating kabob left overs for 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky_boy View Post
              lets see rabbit hunting pics and storys =D
              you mean like this?...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jholG-X_N4E
              ------------------------------------------------
              pull my finger....

Comment

No pictures, but I'll tell you about my best hunt this winter, which was last fall. I was checking out this new spot that I had been hiking in a few times but had never hunted, I had seen a few bunnies while hiking in the summer and figured why not take my new 20 gauge out and give it a whirl.

So I go to this spot, this is last fall after we had gotten a good snowfall that melted, so the rabbits all had plenty of white on them while the forest was brown, making it almost too easy. At first I didn't see much of anything but pellets, lots of bushwacking through devils club and alders and generally a piss poor time. After about an hour I gave up and went to a different area about a half mile away, this was in November so I knew I didn't have much daylight left and knew I had to hurry.

I start tromping through the woods, this is much better terrain and I know there are rabbits around; after about 30 minutes I see my first bunny and BAM! Nailed him before he even moved. Another 20 minutes go by and I see another which spooks and takes off, but not 2 minutes later I see another and BAM! 2 for the trip and I am happy, 2 aint bad for an afternoon. By this time the light is starting to change and I know my time is running out so I start heading back to my car. Well, once the light started changing, the rabbits came out in full force. I saw another one on the way back but he flushed and was gone, I go into where I last saw him and see a different one 70 feet away, shoot him before he moves. I go to pick him up and put him in my bag, when I turn and see another one not 50 feet away just sittin under a tree. Dispatched him without delay.

I was making my way back to my car as the light was very quickly fading, and it seemed that as the light got worse the rabbits multiplied, I literally got 5 rabbits within a 10 minute span, and had 7 in my bag when I got back to the car. I'm putting my stuff away and look across the road, and wouldn't you know, sitting in the ditch right across the highway is another bunny. As tempting as it was I of course couldn't shoot him as I was on the highway, even though he was REALLY asking for it. As I'm driving back down the highway I literally see probably 10 more bunnies just sitting on the side of the road and I'm kicking myself for not coming to this spot sooner.

I hunted it twice more with equal results each time, then the area got a huge storm that blanketed the area with several feet of snow, and that was the end of the bunny season for my new favorite spot. I went out there a couple times after that and trudged through hip deep snow a few times with no bunnies to show for my troubles. I can't wait for this fall to go back to my new favorite rabbit spot.

Comment

Originally posted by asrjb25 View Post
                  No pictures, but I'll tell you about my best hunt this winter, which was last fall. I was checking out this new spot that I had been hiking in a few times but had never hunted, I had seen a few bunnies while hiking in the summer and figured why not take my new 20 gauge out and give it a whirl.

So I go to this spot, this is last fall after we had gotten a good snowfall that melted, so the rabbits all had plenty of white on them while the forest was brown, making it almost too easy. At first I didn't see much of anything but pellets, lots of bushwacking through devils club and alders and generally a piss poor time. After about an hour I gave up and went to a different area about a half mile away, this was in November so I knew I didn't have much daylight left and knew I had to hurry.

I start tromping through the woods, this is much better terrain and I know there are rabbits around; after about 30 minutes I see my first bunny and BAM! Nailed him before he even moved. Another 20 minutes go by and I see another which spooks and takes off, but not 2 minutes later I see another and BAM! 2 for the trip and I am happy, 2 aint bad for an afternoon. By this time the light is starting to change and I know my time is running out so I start heading back to my car. Well, once the light started changing, the rabbits came out in full force. I saw another one on the way back but he flushed and was gone, I go into where I last saw him and see a different one 70 feet away, shoot him before he moves. I go to pick him up and put him in my bag, when I turn and see another one not 50 feet away just sittin under a tree. Dispatched him without delay.

I was making my way back to my car as the light was very quickly fading, and it seemed that as the light got worse the rabbits multiplied, I literally got 5 rabbits within a 10 minute span, and had 7 in my bag when I got back to the car. I'm putting my stuff away and look across the road, and wouldn't you know, sitting in the ditch right across the highway is another bunny. As tempting as it was I of course couldn't shoot him as I was on the highway, even though he was REALLY asking for it. As I'm driving back down the highway I literally see probably 10 more bunnies just sitting on the side of the road and I'm kicking myself for not coming to this spot sooner.

I hunted it twice more with equal results each time, then the area got a huge storm that blanketed the area with several feet of snow, and that was the end of the bunny season for my new favorite spot. I went out there a couple times after that and trudged through hip deep snow a few times with no bunnies to show for my troubles. I can't wait for this fall to go back to my new favorite rabbit spot.
                  That sounds like a hell of a hunt...I wonder how many your hunting partner got?

Comment

The particular hunting partner I took back to Portage never seems to get quite as many rabbits as me. Some people have it, some people, not so much.

Comment

summer hares

Is the meat much affected by parasites this time of year? I spend a fair amount of time in Delta during the summer and I see them everywhere on the trails, especially at what passes for dusk up there.

Comment

Spring bunnies

This sping I was iching for a new bow. My baby G just wasnt cutting it any more. So I found a used mathews Switchback on ebay with every thing on it for a decent price so I went ahead an purchased it. That seemed to cure one ich but created a new one. Now I wanted to see about shooting somthing with it. So I loaded up my wheeler and headed out for Bunnies. Rabits were white and hiding pritty well but my new Mathew was shooting even better. Shot five for five There were a couple that the arrow blew right threw and I thought I had missed, but after following them for a bit and putting another arrow in'em I found that I had hit them on the first shot. Great time! I have sense shot a Moose and a Caribou with the used Switchback. Bear is next
                        Attached Files

Comment

Jimbo

i think i posted this thread about last year and i havent been on the thread alot so i thought i would look at what i posted this year me and my father went to our secret spot and we shot about 19 rabbits i shot 10 and my dad shot 9 in one day it was a blast we hunted with a 10/22 and a 410 shotgun i used the 410 and my father and i where just blasting them away it was the most fun hunting i have ever had i will try to get some pictures posted up here-Jimbo
                          Ron Paul 2008 RESTORE OUR CONSTITUTION

TRY JESUS

ILY

Comment

Lucky Boy

you have a PM

Comment

Rabbits

A few rabbits i shot awhile ago.
                              Attached Files
                              Early to bed
                              Early to Rise