Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the hare population crash in your area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the hare population crash in your area?

I've been out three times and today I saw my first track. Wolf tracks and coyote also more so than I have in the past. But I have not seen a single hare. Even in areas where they cross the pipeline to access grass. Nothing, nada.....
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 10-15-2021, 18:52.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

There's still a few around here on the Kenai.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Just saw one yesterday around the house, and I saw multiple hares on base, just about everyday I worked this past summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our peak for hare was about 2 years ago, I still see them and lynx. Actually, I am see the lynx often meaning they are out looking. The coyotes and the lone wolf that have been hanging out for the past several years appear to have moved on to greener pastures. I expect the coyotes to come back.
        I am the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to. - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

There are still a lot around here. They often frighten me, till I realize what it is that is moving. The grouse are worse.
          ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
            There are still a lot around here. They often frighten me, till I realize what it is that is moving. The grouse are worse.
            Do you mean the grouse scare you more or the grouse population is down worse than the hares?

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post

Do you mean the grouse scare you more or the grouse population is down worse than the hares?
              I mean......"Anything" that moves frightens me......until I figure out what it is and/or what it is "not".
              ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

I mean......"Anything" that moves frightens me......until I figure out what it is and/or what it is "not".
                Got it, thanks

Comment

I imagine that with you starting to loose your vision, that could get interesting. I have a black spot in my left eye out on the edge that gets me every once in a while.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Hares have crashed up here, north of the Alaska range. We saw lots of lynx around town last year, a tell-tale sign that hares are crashing. This year, we're seeing a whole lot fox in Fairbanks, right in the middle of the day. Might be something going on with voles. Don't know.

Comment

There is no shortage of hares in Funny River.

Comment

i usually put away 12-18 for the freezer. It looks like this year that it is going to be zero.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

yes for the interior, at least where i normally find them on good and low years.
                          https://pristineventures.com

Comment

Last winter I had tracks of a couple individuals heading cross-country up through my hardwoods (not hare territory) and toward the ridge. This is a pretty uncommon occurrence, and i presume they were hungry and looking for new digs.
                            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Lots less sign in Mat Su.
                              "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X