Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal to hunt Grouse with a silencer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it legal to hunt Grouse with a silencer?

    When out moose hunting we try to not make a lot of noise in camp because our actual hunting area is very close by. Around camp there are also a lot of Grouse. I'd like to take a few of them for dinner but haven't due to the noise of shooting them. Therefore, is it legal to shoot Grouse with a silenced .22? Yes, I know what I'll have to do to own a silencer.

    Bill

  • #2
    Not sure. I've taken grouse with a pellet rifle
    -Tim

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TR View Post
      Not sure. I've taken grouse with a pellet rifle
      my fully suppressed Slingshot is silent. I have "High Capacity" pockets for ammo. No bayonet lug.
      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
        my fully suppressed Slingshot is silent. I have "High Capacity" pockets for ammo. No bayonet lug.
        What about the 'shoulder thingy that goes up'
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

        Comment


        • #5
          I humped into the timber out Marathon road many years ago. A group of people had decided the middle of moose season was a good time to sight in all their moose guns at the gravel pit there. I got them to hold their fire long enough for us to get into the woods. A few hundred yards in I jumped a bedded bull. Whacked him. Had to get the platoon to hold off on the firing again so we could pack it out.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
            I humped into the timber out Marathon road many years ago. A group of people had decided the middle of moose season was a good time to sight in all their moose guns at the gravel pit there. I got them to hold their fire long enough for us to get into the woods. A few hundred yards in I jumped a bedded bull. Whacked him. Had to get the platoon to hold off on the firing again so we could pack it out.
            Yup....I remember watching a 40" bull with a couple cows while we were sighting in our guns at snowshoe. He didn't seem to mind at all. And yes op, a pellet gun or CB caps for the 22 will do the job....if you're that concerned about noise.
            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              This is the OP.

              Now that it's Monday morning I called ADF&G here in Anchorage to ask them. They said it's perfectly legal to shoot Grouse with a silenced/suppressed .22.

              Bill

              Comment


              • #8
                Low noise .22 Ammo

                For whacking magpies, hares and an occasional spruce chicken around my house, I use these: CCI 22LR 40 GR Low Velocity / Low Noise, Lead Round Nose Ammo
                They are super quiet, enjoyable to shoot and, at close range, deadly for small game.
                I never bought them until the last big ammo scare, and they were all that was left over after the panickers and speculators moved through like locusts. Now I seek these .22 rounds out because they are covert, and my neighbors never even know I am shooting up into the trees (we have had a scourge of magpies this year!).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Trackrig View Post
                  This is the OP.

                  Now that it's Monday morning I called ADF&G here in Anchorage to ask them. They said it's perfectly legal to shoot Grouse with a silenced/suppressed .22.

                  Bill
                  Be interested in seeing a pic of the rig once you set it up
                  -Tim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sayak View Post
                    For whacking magpies, hares and an occasional spruce chicken around my house, I use these: CCI 22LR 40 GR Low Velocity / Low Noise, Lead Round Nose Ammo
                    They are super quiet, enjoyable to shoot and, at close range, deadly for small game.
                    I never bought them until the last big ammo scare, and they were all that was left over after the panickers and speculators moved through like locusts. Now I seek these .22 rounds out because they are covert, and my neighbors never even know I am shooting up into the trees (we have had a scourge of magpies this year!).
                    +1 for the CCI Quites.
                    You need to target practice with them first since they shoot a little lower than your typical rounds.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sayak View Post
                      For whacking magpies, hares and an occasional spruce chicken around my house, I use these: CCI 22LR 40 GR Low Velocity / Low Noise, Lead Round Nose Ammo
                      They are super quiet, enjoyable to shoot and, at close range, deadly for small game.
                      I never bought them until the last big ammo scare, and they were all that was left over after the panickers and speculators moved through like locusts. Now I seek these .22 rounds out because they are covert, and my neighbors never even know I am shooting up into the trees (we have had a scourge of magpies this year!).
                      The old Remington Sub Sonics work pretty well too.
                      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I used to use Gallery shorts for bull frogs. Don't know the correct term but they fragmented really easy. But that was back in the 70's.

                        Patriot Life Member NRA
                        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                        Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                          I used to use Gallery shorts for bull frogs. Don't know the correct term but they fragmented really easy. But that was back in the 70's.
                          Never heard the term "gallery shorts" before but we used to call those super low velocity/noise 22s "CB caps" back in the 70s. I wonder if we are referring to the same thing? Things weren't much louder than a pellet gun going off but hit a bit harder than one.....at least back in them days.
                          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Remember the old shooting ranges at the carnivals and circus. I'm pretty sure it is the rounds they used. Broke apart on impact with almost anything. Frangible rounds are the words I was looking for.

                            Patriot Life Member NRA
                            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                            Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                              Remember the old shooting ranges at the carnivals and circus.

                              Couldn't drag me away!
                              Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                              I'm pretty sure it is the rounds they used. Broke apart on impact with almost anything. Frangible rounds are the words I was looking for.
                              Naw….the CB caps where just real light 22s. Still pretty lethal on rabbits and such....
                              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X