Looking for a new way to cook rabbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new way to cook rabbit

Want something different other than frying it. Anyone got a good way of cooking rabbit. Thanks
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Last year I soaked mine in a salt brine with herbs overnight or maybe longer, I don't remember. After soaking it, I rinsed it off and put it back in the fridge for another 24 hours. Afterwards, I made some homemade cream of mushroom soup and cooked that with the hare in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. It turned out fantastic!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Thanks for the information sounds great

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
        Last year I soaked mine in a salt brine with herbs overnight or maybe longer, I don't remember. After soaking it, I rinsed it off and put it back in the fridge for another 24 hours. Afterwards, I made some homemade cream of mushroom soup and cooked that with the hare in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. It turned out fantastic!
        :ditto: The same. I always soak my hares in salt water for at least 24 hours. Then I bone it out and separate all the bloodshot meat. Then my wife either deep fries some for the kids and then she makes a delicious casserole from cream of mushroom soup, potatoes, onions and a few other things I am sure, but it is delicious. That's my favorite recipe anyhow.

Comment

Stew in a slow crock pot until tender. Carefully remove and make gravy. Arrange pieces in a skillet with gravy and top with scratch dumplings. Finish in a hot oven until dumplings are done and lightly browned. Heaven on earth.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

My buddy does them like grouse poppers and they are amazing. Take a chunk of rabbit, slap a chunk of pineapple and a chunk of jalapeno on it, wrap the three up together with bacon and hold with a toothpick. Grill slowly until bacon is done. MMMMMMMMMMMM!

Of course, you could wrap a moose turd in bacon and I'd probably say the same thing.....
            The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Comment

Thanks everyone they all sound very good

Comment

Pheasant, quail, cottontail

Originally posted by skybust View Post
                Want something different other than frying it. Anyone got a good way of cooking rabbit. Thanks
                Do yourself a favor and just buy Hank's newest book. Until it arrives, use his extensive recipe collection on his website:

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/ra...irrel-recipes/
                Go Big Red!

Comment

Rinella was saying to use a fork like a tenderizer, to stick it in the hind quarter, back strap, front shoulder, neck about 30 times each, dry rub it and grill. Said youíd never look at rabbit the same again. Itís on my to do list for the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like to soak it overnight in water that has some salt and vinegar in it. rinse and put in crock pot covered in tomato sauce with a couple of cinnamon sticks thrown in. Some onions that you fry till clear are good in there as well as mushrooms. Let cook till tender which the acidic tomato helps with. I like to put in peeled and chunked potatoes an hour or 2 before the end. Can be served over egg noodles also. Have eaten lots of hares like this and it is always a hit. Recipe came from my ex in-laws who cooked rabbit that way back in Greece.
                    EDIT: cinnamon sticks are the key ingredient in this recipe so don't omit them.

Comment

I also add some red-wine vinegar to my salt bine as well.
                      Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

My recipe is similar but to the can of cream of mushroom soup, I also add about the same in sour cream. Then top with chives and stuffing, with a layer of cheddar cheese, and throw it in the oven for a little while.

And yes we always soak in a salt and red wine vinegar solution overnight. Red wine vinegar is THE best. I only change up when I brine my fish, and for that I add a little apple cider vinegar...
                        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Try making a big pot of gumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by BenC View Post
                            Try making a big pot of gumbo.
                            Definitely!
                            Bk
                            BK Marine Services 232-6399
                            Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
                            Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
                            Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

I donít soak em. No need. Cook fresh. Often slow simmer till falls off the bone, hour or less, while doin that throw in veggies ya already chopped while simmering bunny. Add noodles. I like soup over a big pile of mashed potatoes. Or more often I just mashed potatoes in same pot. Makes a thick style stew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X