Grouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grouse?

What do you think about the grouse population this season on the KP? Looking like better numbers? Happy Hunting.(tomorrow)

Haven't seen any out on the roads or trails where I used to see plenty. Had one out on my property recently. Seems like we are still on the bottom of the curve. I'd go for those feral pheasants if I lived down there.

Comment

I haven't seen any in my normal after work dog walking areas, been several years now since I've seen decent numbers of birds.

Comment

I havent seen as many as usual either.
        But time will tell as the season progresses and hunters get out in the woods after them.
        "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Spent a couple days in the Delta area last week and found very few birds. Telling was the noticeable lack of Hawks, as well. Did encounter a little female Coyote that was hot on the tail of my Brittany!

Comment

I had good luck in the Delta Junction area Thursady evening. I bagged 2 and got some point and release action on 3 more. All spruce.

Comment

We were targeting Ruffed and Sharptails.

Comment

Originally posted by labdad View Post
                We were targeting Ruffed and Sharptails.
                Ah, I live in anchorage so! I'll take what I can get. We don't have many ruffed or sharp tails around here! The dogs went on point so I owe them a shot unless we are playing point and release!

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                  I havent seen as many as usual either.
                  But time will tell as the season progresses and hunters get out in the woods after them.
                  I have been up and down Swanson R. Road about a dozen times in the past month, and haven't seen a one. Not on the trails either. Highly unusual to not see at least an individual. They must really be on the low point of the cycle I guess.

Comment

Used to be you couldn't chuck a rock around Homer without hitting a spruce hen....then the beetlekill happened, and I hardly see them anymore (no idea if there's a correlation, but anecdotes are fun )....ran into a couple over the last few nights in the Fritz Creek drainage....think I will lump them with razor clams in the "leave alone until better numbers" category....
                    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Originally posted by cdubbin View Post
                      Used to be you couldn't chuck a rock around Homer without hitting a spruce hen....then the beetlekill happened, and I hardly see them anymore (no idea if there's a correlation, but anecdotes are fun )....ran into a couple over the last few nights in the Fritz Creek drainage....think I will lump them with razor clams in the "leave alone until better numbers" category....
                      Kudos. Good policy.

Comment

I took the dog for a stroll in another area tonight that was full of berries, blue and cranberries of both types. No birds to be had. We didn't go far cause momma is about to pop but I was disappointed to not see at least one bird in all those berries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My first trip out on opening day in South Central and we flushed 40-50. One trip doesn't really say much overall but I am pretty optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by cdubbin View Post
                            ...I hardly see them anymore ....think I will lump them with razor clams in the "leave alone until better numbers" category....
                            Makes me wonder if they didn't fall prey to the roving, kill-any-living-thing camo bands we heard about a while back.
                            LuJon, glad to hear they are still in big quantities farther north.
                            I was remarking to my son just yesterday as we hiked a SRR trail, that I missed the glory days of rounding a corner and seeing a group of 5-10 birds to choose from. It was always fun and easy table fare until snowfall. Love cranberry fed grouse in the pot.

Comment

My trick.......early AM (as in first light) drive slowly along the road. They are gobbling gravel for their craw. Flush them off the road shoulder and into the woods. Harvest (Two) with .22 Rim Fire. Go back to the cabin & drink more coffee.........and ponder my option of freezing to death this coming winter, or splitting more wood.
                              "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X