North Slope ground squirrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Slope ground squirrels

So I did the drive up to the north slope a month ago and along most of the road there was these little ground squirrel things everywhere. Anyone know exactly what they are? Thanks!
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Native's call them, Sic'Sic Puck (aka Parka Squirrel) or Arctic Ground Squirrel
    "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

I believe they are marmots.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
        Native's call them, Sic'Sic Puck (aka Parka Squirrel) or Arctic Ground Squirrel
        ^^^
        What he said.
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Hide or meat must be salvaged
          Loved telling that to clients when I was guiding. We'd be sitting waiting quietly and they would see a parky squirrel and want to shoot it with their big-azz rifle. "You need to salvage either the meat or hide... shoot it with that and there's nothing left, I'll have to turn you in"
          Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
          http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
            Hide or meat must be salvaged
            Loved telling that to clients when I was guiding. We'd be sitting waiting quietly and they would see a parky squirrel and want to shoot it with their big-azz rifle. "You need to salvage either the meat or hide... shoot it with that and there's nothing left, I'll have to turn you in"
            That's awesome! I was trying to shoot one up there this spring to skin and couldn't find any, when I was up there last fall they were all over the place!

Comment

How do they taste? Like a normal squirrel?
              I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Comment

Never eaten a normal squirrel, but ground squirrels are fine. Ate one mixed in with soy sauce and rice, and recall it being mild. The thing was a pain to clean, though - more fat than meat come fall.

Comment

I've never met a squirrel I would describe as "normal"...
                  ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                  I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                  The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X