ground squirrel in hatchers pass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ground squirrel in hatchers pass?

thinking of running my boys up to hatchers to chase ground squirrels around with their BB guns....anyone know if this is legal or not? i know season is open but not real famalir with regs for the area?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

If I remember correctly, you have to be a quarter mile off the road to fire weapons on the park side of the mountain.

Shame too, there is a large colony of the buggers right next to one of the pull offs up there.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Comment

It is legal nearly everywhere up there. Stay away from Independance mine and Reed lakes trail. Keep 1/4 mile off road also.
      Have fun, they are thick up there if you can find em
      "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

BB guns shouldn't be a problem nearby the road, right? I guess its up to the discression of the ranger or trooper in the end though.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7292.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2479560

Know where I might find a colony close to Fairbanks? I've only seen them at Eielson Visitor Center... 60 miles into Denali NP.
          Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Comment

Are you sure a BB gun would do it? I'm thinking a pellet would be minimal... We used to pop them out in Bristol Bay with a .22 so my mother-in-law could sew up parkas. If you hunt them, bring some Buhach with you, as those critters are usually thick with fleas.

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
              Are you sure a BB gun would do it? I'm thinking a pellet would be minimal... We used to pop them out in Bristol Bay with a .22 so my mother-in-law could sew up parkas. If you hunt them, bring some Buhach with you, as those critters are usually thick with fleas.

heck i use a slingshot with rocks, and can kill um pretty easily
              Semper Fi!

Comment

You could kill em' with a rock, but in Hatchers there are so many little hideouts in their rock habitat that it can be hard to recover them.
                If you want to take some home, get a .22LR for squirrel and a centerfire .22 for marmots. JME.
                O yeah, and use a 40gr solid and a head shot, the HP's can tear them up.
                "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

If you use a BB Gun, you can hunt them again next week!!!
                  "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                  ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

I believe you cant hunt them now with a rifle and trapping licence.

Comment

well my kids would be hard pressed to actually hit one with their BB gun, but i want to make sure we can actually shoot AT them first!
                      Www.blackriverhunting.com
                      Master guide 212

Comment

BRWNBR:

A good place to get a bunch of them is in 14A near the Eska falls.. in the sutton location.. Trail going up the falls is pretty hairy in break up as its slick and muddy and STEEP.. but once above the alpine, on a clear sunny day they are everywhere.. If you need specific directions shoot me a PM, Place used to be good moose hunting out their too. now its way too crowded..
                        Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Comment

straight from the regs...
                          ground squirrels ..."either the hide or meat must be salvaged"
                          Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                          http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytguy View Post
                            BRWNBR:

A good place to get a bunch of them is in 14A near the Eska falls.. in the sutton location.. Trail going up the falls is pretty hairy in break up as its slick and muddy and STEEP.. but once above the alpine, on a clear sunny day they are everywhere.. If you need specific directions shoot me a PM, Place used to be good moose hunting out their too. now its way too crowded..
                            Whooo Boy...
                            Now the Ground Squirrels are warranted the Secret Handshake...Sure don't want to disclose too much about them...J/K but really now is this not funny as all get out?
                            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
                              straight from the regs...
                              ground squirrels ..."either the hide or meat must be salvaged"
                              Yeah Yeah...says the same thing for Snowy Owls....
                              ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X