Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ground squirrel in hatchers pass?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ground squirrel in hatchers pass?

    thinking of running my boys up to hatchers to chase ground squirrels around with their BB guns....anyone know if this is legal or not? i know season is open but not real famalir with regs for the area?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  • #2
    If I remember correctly, you have to be a quarter mile off the road to fire weapons on the park side of the mountain.

    Shame too, there is a large colony of the buggers right next to one of the pull offs up there.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

    Comment


    • #3
      It is legal nearly everywhere up there. Stay away from Independance mine and Reed lakes trail. Keep 1/4 mile off road also.
      Have fun, they are thick up there if you can find em
      "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

      Comment


      • #4
        BB guns shouldn't be a problem nearby the road, right? I guess its up to the discression of the ranger or trooper in the end though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7292.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2479560

          Know where I might find a colony close to Fairbanks? I've only seen them at Eielson Visitor Center... 60 miles into Denali NP.
          Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

          Comment


          • #6
            Are you sure a BB gun would do it? I'm thinking a pellet would be minimal... We used to pop them out in Bristol Bay with a .22 so my mother-in-law could sew up parkas. If you hunt them, bring some Buhach with you, as those critters are usually thick with fleas.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sayak View Post
              Are you sure a BB gun would do it? I'm thinking a pellet would be minimal... We used to pop them out in Bristol Bay with a .22 so my mother-in-law could sew up parkas. If you hunt them, bring some Buhach with you, as those critters are usually thick with fleas.

              heck i use a slingshot with rocks, and can kill um pretty easily
              Semper Fi!

              Comment


              • #8
                You could kill em' with a rock, but in Hatchers there are so many little hideouts in their rock habitat that it can be hard to recover them.
                If you want to take some home, get a .22LR for squirrel and a centerfire .22 for marmots. JME.
                O yeah, and use a 40gr solid and a head shot, the HP's can tear them up.
                "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you use a BB Gun, you can hunt them again next week!!!
                  "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                  ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I believe you cant hunt them now with a rifle and trapping licence.
                    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      well my kids would be hard pressed to actually hit one with their BB gun, but i want to make sure we can actually shoot AT them first!
                      Www.blackriverhunting.com
                      Master guide 212

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        BRWNBR:

                        A good place to get a bunch of them is in 14A near the Eska falls.. in the sutton location.. Trail going up the falls is pretty hairy in break up as its slick and muddy and STEEP.. but once above the alpine, on a clear sunny day they are everywhere.. If you need specific directions shoot me a PM, Place used to be good moose hunting out their too. now its way too crowded..
                        Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          straight from the regs...
                          ground squirrels ..."either the hide or meat must be salvaged"
                          Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                          http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hoytguy View Post
                            BRWNBR:

                            A good place to get a bunch of them is in 14A near the Eska falls.. in the sutton location.. Trail going up the falls is pretty hairy in break up as its slick and muddy and STEEP.. but once above the alpine, on a clear sunny day they are everywhere.. If you need specific directions shoot me a PM, Place used to be good moose hunting out their too. now its way too crowded..
                            Whooo Boy...
                            Now the Ground Squirrels are warranted the Secret Handshake...Sure don't want to disclose too much about them...J/K but really now is this not funny as all get out?
                            "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by homerdave View Post
                              straight from the regs...
                              ground squirrels ..."either the hide or meat must be salvaged"
                              Yeah Yeah...says the same thing for Snowy Owls....
                              "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                              ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X