Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alasgun
    replied
    This gun will be on the "sale table" at the Wasilla gun show in a couple weeks.
    mike

Leave a comment:

• Alasgun
    replied
    Yes, she's smooth! At this power level, most were in the day. As to the shot thing, it looks like 6 oz was a common loading however in today's climate nothing more then small game, turkey etc would ever feel the sting. I'd certainly like to,cut a swath thru a flight of ducks sometime but those days are gone for sure.

By the way, my piddly 200 grains of 2f is just a starting load and I'd need another 20 grains to have an 8 dram equivelant load! This, according to those in the know! They take these things all the way to 15 drams!!
    However it appears I was approaching 1200 fps. with that big ball and I have to ask, just how much is enough?

Think about it, we've killed everything on the earth with a 44 mag shooting 300 gr bullets at 1200 fps, I've got a 3 OUNCE bullet that will do that!!
    I can't imagine wanting anything over this for a Moose / Black Bear load.

This will probably be it for a bit, at least until I have some concrete performance to share.

By the way, I'm sure you are right about it (opening doors)

Thanks, Mike

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
    No more guessing! I took her out today for the first shooting session. 50, 100, 150 & 200 grains of 2f behind the 2 3/4 oz round ball and nothing broke. On me or the gun!

at 30 yards, off hand I could cover all shots with my palm! When it warms some there will be longer sessions and great joy, I'm sure.
    So far it exceeded my expectations by quite a bit and did I mention, the push back was totally tolerable.

Mike
    That is so cool!

Refresh my memory- It's a smoothbore, right? I'm betting 3 oz of shot or so would be a phenomenon. Couldn't use it for waterfowl, but it opens lots of other doors.

Leave a comment:

• Amigo Will
    replied
    Great work done there. I believe a 2oz. ball will be no problem with solid hold. Your 2 3/4oz ball is more correct for a seven bore.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    Glad to hear you and the gun are still in one piece.
    It would be neat to see a youtube type video of you shooting it.
    Were you able to recover some of your balls? You may need a lot of lead this summer with a 2.75 oz ball!

Leave a comment:

• Alasgun
    replied
    No more guessing! I took her out today for the first shooting session. 50, 100, 150 & 200 grains of 2f behind the 2 3/4 oz round ball and nothing broke. On me or the gun!

at 30 yards, off hand I could cover all shots with my palm! When it warms some there will be longer sessions and great joy, I'm sure.
    So far it exceeded my expectations by quite a bit and did I mention, the push back was totally tolerable.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Alasgun
    replied
    At this power level, i guess dental re-work could be a possibility. More commonly you see broken collarbones and detatched retinas! Alas, I'm no longer man enough to have to proove anything so load development will be "slow and steady".

Thanks for the kind words too!
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• Catch It
    replied
    Gonna put a scope on it?............ But seriously, that is very cool, excellent work. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Leave a comment:

• Garyak
    replied
    "Filius Tormentis" A very appropriate name for a beautiful piece of work. I hope your dentist has a heart and will give you a discount if you need a few fillings reset.

Leave a comment:

• fishcatcher541
    replied
    Re: "B" guage / 4 bore ?

Beautiful gun

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• Bullelkklr
    replied
    Very nice work!

Leave a comment:

• Alasgun
    replied
    It's done (2)

Another couple shots, showing her belly and the lock.
    Filius Tormentis - son of a cannon!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Alasgun
    replied
    It's done!

I would be surprised to hear that you've all been holding your breath waiting for me to finish this thing! My next report will include how bad it hurt, how many teradactils it will shoot thru, how many shots it takes to generate a flinch, all the relevent stuff.

I doubt it will get shot (with a ball) this time home, but very soon we will be warming her up!

The photo session was done in failing light and will get redone ONCE it warms up.

Mike
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Alasgun
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	2485516Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	2485515I was able to put in a little time on my project recently. Aproximately 80 more hours will be needed to complete the thing but for the first time it now holds itself "together". At this point if "I had some balls" I could fire the thing!

Right now all the metal is half polished and the wood is filthy from all the fitting. Once the metal polishing is done and I move to the checkering and wood finishing it will start to look like something!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    Nice work Mike. It will be interesting to see the finnished gun.
    You might just have to tape a pillow to your shoulder to shoot it though.:eek:

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X