Hatfield rifle. . . ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatfield rifle. . . ?

Do any of you guys know anything about Hatfield black powder rifles? I have a .36 caliber, full-stocked flintlock and would like to know its current value.

hatfield

I think I remember the hatfield as a semi custom, nice sparktosser if I remember correctly. I don't know the going rate for one but I imagine it should have a good resale if it's in good shape as I believe they went out of business for one reason or other in the 90's. Sam Fadala was quite a fan of the small bore hatfield and put it on the cover of his black powder bible book as well as mentioned how much he liked it quite often. How about a picture for us to see??
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Comment

Sounds right. . .

I believe you've got it. . . sounds right. It'll take me a bit, but I'll post a photo. The rifle is in good shape, has had less than ten balls run through it.

Comment

I went looking and found simply too many references to "Hatfield rifle" to be much help- extending all the way back to the originals and up to at least one current inline claiming Hatfield roots. TC1's question and your answer clear it up a bit. Sounds like recent manufacture, but a good one. Is this the one once produced by Austin Halleck, or one from Hatfield in Missouri?

Small caliber is a plus or minus in gun value, depending on who you talk to. I'm a sincere fan of the small ones, so yours sounds especially interesting. Is yours cap or flint?
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

Comment

The Hatfield. . .

My Hatfield is a flintlock. The top of the barrel, just ahead of the breech, and the lockplate are marked simply "Hatfield." Below "Hatfield" on the lockplate is "Warranted." Can find no other markings except "Black powder only" in small letters on the side of the barrel.

Checked this url, and it sounds like my rifle: http://www.muzzleblasts.com/vol3no1/...s/mbo31-2.html

I initially saw the gun at the Shot Show held in Atlanta back around 1986 or so. Loved its looks the quintessential Kentucky Rifle. A year or so later, worked out a trade with a guy wherein I made him a cherry desk, and he procured the gun for me. Shot it less than ten times. I'll get a picture or two posted as soon as my "tech support" gets back in town my son, who's due back the first of next week.

Comment

That's a really fine looking rifle, and obviously well regarded by the reviewer. If they sold for $900 when that was written in '98, I'd sure be tempted not to go any lower in evaluating trades or sales. But heck, I wouldn't say that if I wasn't already swimming in small calibers and wanted it myself! It looks like a really fine arm in an appealing caliber for anyone who already has the big stuff, but wants to extend their ML hunting into small game seasons. Here in AK, priming powder for a flinter can be a problem, so that might be a minus. Can't tell you if there's any kind of collector interest, though.
            "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
            Merle Haggard

Comment

That's it. . .

Just clicked on the photo in the url noted above, and that's my Hatfield, except that mine is .36 caliber. Anyone wanting to see the rifle can go to this url:
              http://www.muzzleblasts.com/vol3no1/.../mbo31-2a.html

Comment

hatfield

I believe it's a hatfield, Missouri rifle. They had a good reputation so if you wanted to sell it I'm sure it would go quickly at a fair price but why would you want to sell such a thing?? I've always wanted a little .32 for small game but haven't gotten that far yet. I've had my Jackie brown smoothbore for many years and I couldn't imagine parting with it. There's just something about those fowlers and longrifles, such beauty, history, and the alure of the good ol' days.
                I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. . .

Well, I don't know that I do want to sell the gun, just yet anyway. It truly is a thing of grace and beauty. But I'm at an age where if I don't start getting rid of some of this stuff, the kids will end up putting it in a garage sale.

Now that I'm pretty sure what the rifle is, does anyone know where one could check out what fair market value might be? Dealer? Magazines?

Comment

Another resource. . .

Sent my question to the folks at Muzzle Loader magazine, and they referred me www.gunbroker.com for comparison shopping. An interesting site. . .

Comment

I'm a Hatfield

If you ever do put it up for sale will you e-mail me first.

Thank you
                      Wayne Hatfield

And yes I'm one of those Hatfields

Comment

Hey Marcus and Wayne:

I thought I would tip you that there's a used Hatfield for sale right now over at Track of the Wolf.
                        Merle Haggard

Comment

hatfield rifle

I had a chance to buy a Hatfield about 10 years ago, and procastrinated too long. The quailty was pretty good, when Hatfield was not having problems with demon rum, as a friend of mine puts it. I understand he went under for that reason. Then A&H (cousins of Hatfield) brought out their rifles. I have one, the Mtn Rifle, which shoots good, (50 cal. I use Musket caps with as would not fire reliablely with #11s). I do not know that the Hatfields are collectible, and are only worth what you and a prospective buyer are willing to agree on. The one I could have bought was $300.00 at the time. A true custom MLer which will, or should, duplicate some style, and will start in the $2k range, and go up quickly from there. $5k for a real custom MLer not hard to spend.

Comment

I had seen one of these Hatfield flinters in Auctionarms.com a while back,was a twin to My Hatfield perc. so thought if it stayed in the $600.00 range would pick it up,got up the next morning and ckd on it and it was over $1400.00 and the auction closed at over $1600.00.
                            seems like the 32s in the flint go high as I had been checking a few others on the various firearms auction sites.
                            My Hatfield uses a 10.75 cap and have never had a missfire with it

Comment

Hatfield .36 caliber rifle for sale...

I have a .36 Hatfield Flintlock rifle that I would like to sell. It is in great condition and has a beautiful stock. I'm not sure what to ask at this point but that could be worked out. It has a purple gun sock with a hatfield patch with a squirrel on it. There are some holes in the sock but it is a neat accessory.

If anyone would like pictures or more information you can email me at:

ryangs@mac.com

Thanks!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X