Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kobuk
    replied
    If you do decide to try and make it, I'd love to hear about your process and learn about it.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    It may sound intimidating but you can quite easily make your own powder.
    I have made it several times for rocket projects and do have plans to make some for my .50 muzzle loader.
    Charcoal can easily be made at home and Potassium nitrate is readily available online or at your local hardware store as a stump remover granules. Sulpher is also readily available online and ships easily to Alaska.
    A rock tumbler is used with lead balls to fully mix the powder and a hydraulic press and puck maker can be used to make your powder more uniform for rifle shooting.
    Other than purchasing from GNG that's my future powder plans.
    I did buy a few pounds last summer from a local gentleman who had some he wanted to sell but you just cannot count on that for a steady supply.

Leave a comment:

• JEFFSTER
    replied
    Sorry for being late, this is 1:60 and have not shot it as am waiting on musket cap nipples to switch out the #11. It gonna be fun. Thanks K ! It is a piece of work

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    Your rifle looks gorgeous! How does is shoot? I've been trying to draw a muzzy tag with no luck so far. Since mine is a 1:60 twist I use patched round ball. For moose I would rather have a 58 in a round ball.

Leave a comment:

• Alasgun
    replied
    http://www.norwestcompany.com/buying.htm, i’ve bought powder from this guy in the past. Not sure if he’s still around?

Leave a comment:

• JEFFSTER
    replied
    it was made by a fellow named Brant Selb. Nice work but DO NOT be in a hurry to get it.. lol
    I wanted it patterned off of Kit Carsons Hawken on display in New Mexico Museum,., I"m nostalgic that way..

Leave a comment:

• JEFFSTER
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    Congrats on your new 58! I've had my eye out for one myself. Do you have any pics? Details? I shoot a 54 but for some reason I'm pining for a 58. As far as powder, I wish I had advice. I get mine from GNG as well. Maybe add to their order when they do theirs?

Leave a comment:

• JEFFSTER
    started a topic Got Back into it ..58 cal

Got Back into it ..58 cal

So after 2 years , I finally got my custom .58 Hawken, made by a fellow out of Oregon. Nice gun and just what I wanted. Now during Biden panic hoarders Era , good luck on powder and primers. So I need input, I have a bunch of Musket 4 flange 1081 RWS, figured to switch out #11 nipple and make it work with Musket nipple? Is this a safe move? Now as for powder, shooting .570 patched and I have about 3lbs of FFG. How can we get BP in Alaska other than GNG? Lower 48 I can have 100lbs at the door in 4 days... Here you might as well be asking for a job as door gunner on space shuttle.. Anyone out there doing bulk orders and having it shipped up? Thanks for any advice. Jeff

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X