Moose load recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose load recommendations

Drew the 422 tag this year looking for any recommendations on bullets and powder load? Never killed a moose before with a Muzzleloader but Im getting amped up to try experimenting with different stuff and practice with it

ive killed several deer with my inline and have used 250 grain hornady sst sabots with 100 grains of triple 7 fffg.... my guns max is 150 grains of powder

Are you shooting a inline?
    I have been using blackhorn 209 powder and these bullets...
    https://www.prbullet.com/shop/produc...tAsc=1&nPage=4

Although I have hunted a few times, sadly I cannot atest to how well they work on a moose.
    I do know they crony at 1700fps with 100 gr of blackhorn, and I shot a 5" group at 200 yds. Maybe it was my lucky day... or maybe my expectations were low..
    They do require a sabot, in terms of bullets, its pretty hard to argue with a 300 or 340 grain chunk-O-lead for penetration, I shot every bullet I could find and decided I didn't want a jacketed bullet or one with some belt around it, I am sure they work but this is a beautifully made bullet, I have no idea how they cast them so perfectly..
    We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

You lucky dog, good deal on the 422, same one I applied for. I don't see anything wrong with you current set up as long as it shoots well for you, which it must with your deer hunts. What range are you comfortable with? You could play with your powder and increase it, but sometimes that will just mess with your accuracy. I am like Akgramps though, I've had much better results with Blackhorn powder than any other powder. Place that 250 grain in the right spot and you will get that big moose. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by markopolo50 View Post
        You lucky dog, good deal on the 422, same one I applied for. I don't see anything wrong with you current set up as long as it shoots well for you, which it must with your deer hunts. What range are you comfortable with? You could play with your powder and increase it, but sometimes that will just mess with your accuracy. I am like Akgramps though, I've had much better results with Blackhorn powder than any other powder. Place that 250 grain in the right spot and you will get that big moose. Good luck.
        Ive never tried the Blackhorn stuff but it gets a ton of rave reviews so Im definitely going to try some. Im comfortable to about 85 yards

Comment

Originally posted by tarpontrout View Post
          Ive never tried the Blackhorn stuff but it gets a ton of rave reviews so Im definitely going to try some. Im comfortable to about 85 yards
          That should be a good hunt, nice long season, OK access, assuming you are in the Anchorage Wasilla area..
          We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
            That should be a good hunt, nice long season, OK access, assuming you are in the Anchorage Wasilla area..
            Negative I live in Kodiak.... good news is i'll be taking 3 weeks off for hunt around rut time plus i have 3 day weekends. I also work for airline and can fly for free and have a friend with house in anchorage. So i'll be hunting as long as it takes without worry

Comment

Barnes. Don't remember the weight off the top of my head. Probably around 250.They are blue tip with blue sabot in case they are color coded. Three 50 grain 777 pellets. Perfect expansion every time except for one. Misjudged the distance. Was a bit further than the tree I ranged that it looked like it was standing next to. Still dropped like a sack of potatoes with one shot. Ended up not fully expanding and lost one of four petals. Out performs the heavy Powerbelts we started using years ago.

Comment

Have any of you used a 54 cal PRB on a moose? I didn't draw a tag...again... If and when I do, I have a slow twist 54 made for patched round ball. I did get a handfull of 300 gr Lee REAL bullets to try. I guess that they were made for the slow twist barrels and some guns shoot them pretty good. If mine doesn't like them then I am going to use a PRB. I am hoping to get some feedback from someone who has been around that. Thanks

Comment

I also have that tag, 3rd one in last 8 years, I use 130 grains, 2 ea 50 gr pellets and a 30 gr pellet, I used Hodgon Pyrodex Pellets but switching to 777.
                  I shot a 260 gr Nosler Partition 45 cal bullet with a sabot, at 2000 FPS and got a 45 inch nice bull 3 years ago at 60 yards, it took 2 steps and drop after 30 seconds. 8 years ago I broke my ankle 3 days into the season, I did a little road hunting and saw 5 bulls but not enough mobility to get them. I leave in Anchorage and have access to base so if you want to do a little scouting before the season or get familiar with the place let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by MorsunRX View Post
                    I also have that tag, 3rd one in last 8 years, I use 130 grains, 2 ea 50 gr pellets and a 30 gr pellet, I used Hodgon Pyrodex Pellets but switching to 777.
                    I shot a 260 gr Nosler Partition 45 cal bullet with a sabot, at 2000 FPS and got a 45 inch nice bull 3 years ago at 60 yards, it took 2 steps and drop after 30 seconds. 8 years ago I broke my ankle 3 days into the season, I did a little road hunting and saw 5 bulls but not enough mobility to get them. I leave in Anchorage and have access to base so if you want to do a little scouting before the season or get familiar with the place let me know.
                    will do.. appreciate it!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X