Picked up this mystery smoothbore, Rock-Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up this mystery smoothbore, Rock-Lock

A friend of mine who is still on active duty ran across this smooth bore in a pawn shop down south. $250 plus mailing cost and now it is at my house.

It appears to be a hodgepodge of parts. But the lock is good and she throws sparks. The bore measures .572 ..... but the steel is pretty thick, so I am thinking about having it bored out to either a larger smooth bore or maybe even have it slow rifled for round ball in a larger caliber.
    I will do a couple entries for photos.
    Attached Files
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Here are more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

That is an interesting gun. Looks like a lot of Hawken influence in the fore end but the butt sure isn't. That is a lot of steel, what would you have it bored to for a rifle?

Comment

Sort of a Trade Musket look.
        I was thinking at least a 62 caliber if rifled or maybe larger if smoothbore.
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. Nice find. Great price even if you do some gunsmithing on it. Hooked breech is nice for cleaning. Do you think that gun was originally a smoothbore? From the picture it doesn't appear to have sights. Keep us posted on what you do with it.
          Louis Knapp

Comment

The breech plug is a TC, but the barrel is some sort of aftermarket deal. It is still white steel inside and this barrel has not been shot.
            But the breech plug end has...
            It has a front sight.

Right now it is basically a 57 caliber shotgun, maybe 28 gauge. At least going to 62 caliber would make it a 20 gauge.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sure would be sweet to have a 62 prb shooter! I haven't played with any smoothbores, is there another advantage of a smoothbore other than to shoot shot?

Comment

They are faster to load, and the ability to shoot bird-shot, round ball or Buck&Ball. But much less accurate range.
                I wish there was somebody up here who did rifling or bore size -boring...

Comment

Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
                  The breech plug is a TC, but the barrel is some sort of aftermarket deal. It is still white steel inside and this barrel has not been shot.
                  But the breech plug end has...
                  It has a front sight.

Right now it is basically a 57 caliber shotgun, maybe 28 gauge. At least going to 62 caliber would make it a 20 gauge.
                  Love that front sight!

Comment

It may have started from a Thompson Center 56 smooth bore.

Comment

Probably:
                      DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYONE IN ALASKA WHO COULD BORE IT OUT TO 62 ????

Comment

The threads of the breech plug may not be large enough? Might be cheaper to get a new 62!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X