Thinking about getting a Muzzleloader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting a Muzzleloader

Thinking about adding muzzleloader to my collection of types of hunting / shooting weapons. I know weapons isn't really the correct term but it was what I could think of. I own center fire, shotgun, compound bow, handguns but never Blackpowder. What is a good Muzzleloader to buy for hunting. I understand I can't have a scope on ML only hunt but would like to have scope for other hunts and maybe stateside deer hunts. Don't have unlimited funds either. Info I have found on here is a couple years old and I know these guns have changed over the past several years. Thanks for any info.

Dunno inlines from doodly, so I can't help you on a model. If you're inclined to give up the scope, you can have even more fun with a traditional. For that a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in 54 caliber is a very good starter, as would be a TC Hawken 54 caliber. The latter hasn't been made in a few years, but there are good used guns at very reasonable prices floating around. I'd pick up a 54 rather than a 50 for lots more whoop on moose.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Comment

I'll second Brown Bear's comments. If you are up to the challenge of hunting with a muzzleloader, don't go half-in, half-out with a modern inline gun. Do it right and go with a traditional sidelock muzzleloader. The guns Brown Bear mentioned are relatively inexpensive, fine shooting guns. I'm a fan of flintlocks over cap-locks myself. One of your bigger considerations is making sure you have a large-enough caliber for the game you plan to target and that you've spent the time to develop good loads that you can shoot accurately.

Comment

Thompson Center Omega. It is perfection in an in line.... or if you want a traditional muzzleloader I like the New Englander from T/C

Comment

I'm also thinking I'd like to get a muzzleloader so I can participate in muzzleloader hunts. To be honest, it's probably the other way round. I may never take down a moose with the thing but I'd like to get a rifle that was up to it. I have no interest in anything modern looking. Any thoughts on rifled muskets? I thought those Parker-Hale Enfield replicas looked nice. Does Navy arms still sell muzzleloaders? I went to their website and it appeared they were only selling 1873 replicas. Realistically, a used Hawken replica will probably fit my budget best. I'll probably start looking at the spring gun show.
          Louis Knapp

Comment

Navy Arms is sadly pretty much out of it. Dixie Gun Works still has a wide selection. I've also had great service and wide variety from The Gun Works in Oregon and Track of the Wolf in MN.
            "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
            Merle Haggard

Comment

I am 99% sure I a going to go the modern ML as opposed to traditional ones at this time. Looking more and more at CVA. So if anyone knows anything about CVA's or even T/C......

Comment

Two years ago, I decided to buy a muzzleloader. I had an old inline but wanted to upgrade. I found an incredible site that was invaluable in helping me decide on which one to buy and also getting it set up right. I ended up with a CVA Accura. You will find all the information you need on this site and a bunch of very helpful guys.
                http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com

Comment

Originally posted by FullCryHounds View Post
                  Two years ago, I decided to buy a muzzleloader. I had an old inline but wanted to upgrade. I found an incredible site that was invaluable in helping me decide on which one to buy and also getting it set up right. I ended up with a CVA Accura. You will find all the information you need on this site and a bunch of very helpful guys.

Thanks for for the site. As soon as I posted had a couple members answering questions and removed one of CVA's I was looking at. The MR only comes with scope mounts, no open sights. So that won't work up here.

Comment

Originally posted by FullCryHounds View Post
                    Was kind of hoping I would have gotten a little more response though.

Comment

Originally posted by AkGrumpy View Post
                      Was kind of hoping I would have gotten a little more response though.
                      The "problem" with most owners of inlines is that they only own one, and have never owned another. Then they shoot it less than 5 times a year. Hard to get many detailed reports from folks with such limited experience.

I've owned zackly one inline over the years. It was a Knight 54 caliber, but darned if I can even tell you the model, it's been so long ago. I will say that I stuffed just about everything I could find down the bore, ranging from factory bullets to home cast lead bullets and round balls. And I shot hundreds of each with scopes just to see what all this long-range stuff was about. Shot all those loads from 25 yards out to 300 yards, and I was downright impressed with the accuracy of some combos, even if the low velocity made shooting past about 150 yards about like mortar fire.

Surely the most accurate and reliable inline I've ever owned. But it was also the ONLY inline I ever owned.
                      Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                        The "problem" with most owners of inlines is that they only own one, and have never owned another. Then they shoot it less than 5 times a year. Hard to get many detailed reports from folks with such limited experience.
                        And I understand that, I will probably do the same. I have some firearms that I haven't shot in 20 years. But like I said in earlier post if I decidei to get one it will by a CVA, just haven't decided which one. Trying to figure out if the Nitride barrels are worth the extra money over plain SS.

Comment

Originally posted by AkGrumpy View Post
                          Trying to figure out if the Nitride barrels are worth the extra money over plain SS.
                          Dunno Nitride from Nyquil, but even stainless is unnecessary with good cleaning practices.

I have muzzleloaders as old as 50 years, all with plain steel barrels. Not a spec of rust or corrosion on any of them.
                          Merle Haggard

Comment

My first ML was a TC Renegade .54 cal bought in the early 80's. No rust to this day. Keep them clean and dry.
                            NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Consider the Alaska gun shows. I have seen some really good buys on ML. One seller had three TCs at $225 each. That was the best I have seen and rare, but other good deals present from time to time.

Along with Brown Bear, I have one in-line that shoots like a cartridge gun. But my favorite is a flintlock. For hunting the moose I would use the .54 percussion. mho.
                              NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X