Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM 766 coming soon...anyone else on here going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM 766 coming soon...anyone else on here going?

I drew the DM 766 tag this year. I have had this tag a couple times in the last 7 years. Just curious if anyone else on this forum got drawn and when they are planning on hunting. I am looking to head out on November 1, but am concerned about the warmer than normal weather and being able to get across the 2 rivers heading out the Rex trail. I will probably try getting out there with a 4 wheeler or side by side and hope the water is low enough to cross and pray that it doesn't dump a bunch of snow on me while out there.

We may be heading out then..... Nov 1st can be a tough time of year for crossing both rivers.
    If your're able to cross both rivers there's a high probability that one of the rivers could glaciate behing you overnight. Seen river swell 4-5' over night with slushy open leads not capable of supporting a wheeler. Nov 1st, 2012 water backed up into trees.

Hillary's use to hanging out with AK Sled Heads and is pretty good at skipping water on her sled... on the other hand good old dad little more hesitant about skipping across slushy open leads. If conditions are to bad dad may head home and leave Hill to fend for herself...

Anyways good luck hope to see you on the trail. Hillary's sled is 600 REV all white with girl devil wings on cowling. Can't miss it.
    Oh she'll be wearing pink camo jacket with fur rough.

Comment

I am going to go check out the trail Thursday to see how the rivers look. Depending on what I see I might be out there on the opener or give it a couple weeks. If we don't get more snow, you might have some trouble getting out the trail on snow machines. I will be in a an Arctic Cat 550 prowler side by side. Stop by and say hi if you see me out there.

~Eric

Comment

Thinking about second weekend for my trip...love to hear a report.

Comment

Went out the trail today on my side by side. Got to the first river and it is still mostly open and deep water. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks and check again.

Eric

Comment

thanks for the update. River was open, but was the trail pretty good?

Comment

Trail was pretty good. Not a lot of snow on the trail. Ranged from 2 to 4 inches of snow.

Comment

Trail update:
                Went in Saturday morning Nov. 8th and it was 43 degrees in Healy but 7 degrees at trail head so I was thinking all was good. Snow was good, rivers were frozen over. The trail was a bit rough in spots but made good time. No worries!

The weekend was pretty dang windy and warm. It was upper 30s and low 40s with strong, dry wind.

Monday November 10th on the way out snow was still pretty good until we got to the Tatlanika River. After that it got sketchy. Rivers were both frozen. The Totalanika had a little overflow and the little surface water made it super slippery, ice rink slippery. A lot of snow had disappeared along the flats and along the burn sections between the two rivers and from the Totatlanika to the highway. There was a lot of standing water, several inches deep on top of the frozen bogs mixed with slush. There were considerable stretches of mud and dirt.
                The last few miles to the truck there was hard packed snow but it was thin.

It looks like the warm weather is supposed to continue. I was supposed to stay another day, but kind of glad I came out early (unfortunately moose-less) because I am guessing it would have been a pretty ugly trip out and possible a walk out to save the snowmachine. It would have been a tough drag with a moose loaded in the tubs. I had a tundra and it would have put a lot of heat onto the hitrax runners. My buddy had a water cooled heat exchanger machine that would have easily overheated had there been much more dry ground/mud.

I saw a couple guys with 4-wheelers in there and followed their tracks out. It looks like it was quite bit of work for them in spots.

Comment

Does anyone have an update on the trail, river crossings, success, pics, anything...?

Comment

I ended up with obligations at home that couldn't be put off so I didn't get back out there. On the plus side, the troopers called me for a road kill moose so at least I have some moose in the freezer this winter.

~Eric

Comment

See you out there?

Comment

I made it to the first river crossing. Very little snow. I'll be headed back with a four wheeler. I followed what looked like Argo tracks and they crossed the river so I imagine a guy could get across. Kind of a sketch year on the Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by mod elan View Post
                          See you out there?
                          Although I drew the ML tag, I shot my moose in September. My friend is out there right now and they only made it about 10 miles down the Rex before they ran out of snow and had to stop. He said they saw a bull coming out on a wheeler. Better take wheelers or something other than a snogo for now.

Comment

We gambled and are going thru town right now with trailer full of wheelers. Sounds like we made the right choice.

Comment

Good luck - will be looking for your report!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X