No announcement yet.

Frozen quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes you think it went bad? Visually there is nothing wrong with it. If no smell, you're almost certainly fine.

Comment

Just the brownish color on the right end

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by manswame View Post
        Just the brownish color on the right end

That section probably just got a little dry. You can trim it off if it seems overly dry, but probably not necessary.

Comment

The rule about not refreezing comes from leaving it sit on the counter to thaw until it hits a high temperature, like 60 deg or so. That can lead to the growth of pathogens and then grinding, not cooking well can then lead to sickness or intestinal issues.

Ideally if you are cutting previously frozen quarters it should be just above freezing at processing time, then cut and frozen quickly.

I little known secret in the meat industry is fresh never frozen meat can be “almost” frozen at like 28-30 deg, yeah it’s hard but through lawyers and scientists they’ve came up with the ability to ship pork at these degrees and still label it not frozen. This helps keep loss to a minimum and cost from our pockets down as well. The grocery store then cuts it up, places in the case, you then technically refreeze it if you put it in the freezer.

The brown on the meat can come from lots of reasons. It turns red due to contact with oxygen as that’s why many stores now pump oxygen in those fancy meat trays with the air space, keeps them redder longer and looks more appealing. It could have just been that section was face down with no air touching it, or it could be drier than the other area. Color is not a good indicator unless it starts to get an oily sheen to it.

If it smells really bad, then yes it’s probably sour or rotten but this looks ok visually.

Comment

Originally posted by manswame View Post
            Idk if you can see in the picture but I was wondering if this has gone bad. My pops would say no but there was less concern for diseases back in the day. It has no off smell to it but this was frozen then thawed.

You can cut some of the best steaks right there. That looks perfectly fine to me. Bring it over.
            Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Cut them up and they tasted great!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X