Moose ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Smoke at 225 for 3 hours. Mix together one stick of melted butter, yellow mustard, paprika, and enough brown sugar to make a paste out of the mix. Spread the mixture over the ribs and wrap tightly with aluminum foil, place in a pan and bake them in the oven for 3 hours for big ribs 2 hours for smaller ribs at 225. pull them out of the oven and rest them for 30 minutes then remove and place them on the bbq at about 350 degrees or so and occasionally brush a layer of bbq sauce over them. Cook on the bbq until the bbq sauce starts to get tacky, about 45 minutes to an hour. Then pull them off the bbq and eat like a king.

My favorite way to do a moose roast is to coat the outside generously with montreal steak seasoning and place in the smoker at 225 degrees till the internal temp reaches 138-140 pull it out place it in something and cover it to let it rest a bit internal should end up around 145 after a short rest. Then cut in into steaks. No need to sear it because the smoking will give it a crust and when you cut it open it will be very juicy and moist inside. It will end up tender and look like a prime rib without the marbling but tastes amazing. Don't let the internal get above 150 degrees or it will start to dry out.

Ribs sound amazing!

I love smoked moose roast but pull mine at 125 so its rare! nothing beats it.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator Control View Post
      1 cup of water and 40 minuets on High in the Instant Pot, then 5 minuets on the grill with your favorite barbeque sauce. Tender and delicious. So easy and fast you can't screw it up.
      Yup....I've done the same with a plain ol' pressure cooker.
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I've done it a couple different ways. I've cut the whole rib cage out with a hatchet or saw and when I get them home I use a sawzall to cut them in to manageable pieces. The advantage of this method is there is less meat wasted. This year we had to pack a moose a mile so I boned out the ribs. We laid the boned out strips over the grill last night and covered in bbq sauce. It tasted great! The one nice thing about it is I didn't have to pick all the meat off the bone. Either way, it tastes great.

Comment

A few years ago I baked an entire side intact for several hours over my fire pit. Told everyone to bring a knife and carve off how much they wanted to eat. Was fun to watch guys with an entire rib gnawing away, bbq sauce on their faces and in beards and hair. Fun times. There were some adult beverages consumed also.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Moose Ribs is the favorite part of the post hunt for our whole family. We hatchet out the ribs in the field right against the spine. At home use the Sawzall to cut around a 6" rib length. We don't trim anything of them unless dirty or bloodshot. Then you can cut the strips to your desired number of ribs. We cook in slow cooker 8 hours on low with salt and pepper rub and 1 can of coke. Then remove, coat in BBQ and grill both sides about 3-4 minutes or to desired "charness". Took to the game feed this year and blew most people away. A good moose rib is probably the best game I have ever had.

Comment

I will never forget cooking entire sides of deer ribs all day over a bed of coals way up in the mountains of Washington. Best eating ever for a bunch of high school boys.

Comment

Slow cooker and now Instapot moose and caribou ribs are my favorite meal from both animals! I also hang the rib cage whole, slice the thick flank meat with a knife followed by a sawzall (fine blade) cutting through the same spot of the flank meat to desired size that will fit in the crockpot instapot. Cut off the big pieces of fat, but leave some on the ribs. I season them with that Executive Chef steak and prime rib seasoning from Fred Meyers, put maybe 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pot and cook on low for 8 hrs or 1hr 20 minutes in the instapot. Someimtes I add some beef bullion to the water. After the ribs are done use the liquid in the pot to make aujuis gravy, thicken with some flower if you want, pour gravy over mashed potatoes and the fall apart rib meat and then go into a coma from eating too much!! Best comfort food ever, fall apart tender, best meal of the whole critter - try it! Be sure to leave ALL of that thick, outer, flank meat on the rib cage when butchering.

Comment

We always did pretty much the same as jpost. We'd just coat 'em with our favorite bbq sauce (usually homemade) and stack 'em in the crock pot with a bottle of homebrew IPA while at work. Come home, cook some potatoes, make some gravy... It just doesn't get much better than that.
                  ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                  I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                  The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I freeze the rib cage 1/2 and cut them into short ribs with a jig saw or sawzal, since I dont have a band saw. Ifr its a small bull I leave the brisket attached. Then thaw, brine overnight, then rub and wrap in saran wrap overnight. Smoke at pretty low temp just to get a rind and some flavor on the meat. Best to smoke when its cool or even cold outside that way you can keep the temp low on the smoker and still get some smoke on the ribs. The goal is to not dry them out. Then I seal them in vacuum bags. With the last brisket I injected some butter, olive oil and garlic into the brisket. Then I can freeze them until I am ready to cook. I leave them in the vacuum bag and finish by putting the bag in a water bath at just under boiling. I have used a roasting pan in the past but can be hard to control the temp. My kids got me a sous vide cooker and will use that next time. I let them finish for quite a few hours, could be 10 hours for the ribs and 24 for a brisket. Then pull them out and trow em on a hit grill just to brown them a little bit. Or I have finished the ribs by wrapping tightly in foil and putting the oven at 180 ish for 6-8 hours. The goal is to break them down w/o drying them out. The last brisket I did ended up like pastrami.....! HAHA... it was pretty darn tender and just fell apart
                    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
                      I will never forget cooking entire sides of deer ribs all day over a bed of coals way up in the mountains of Washington. Best eating ever for a bunch of high school boys.
                      Can you elaborate how you did this? Sounds great, would love to try if I'm successful on my upcoming deer hunt

Comment

Originally posted by a2thak View Post
                        Can you elaborate how you did this? Sounds great, would love to try if I'm successful on my upcoming deer hunt
                        We had an establushed fire going. Lots of coals. Used green tree limbs to hold the ribs at an angle over the coals. Moved them occasionally. Slow roasted all day. We did this several times. We whittled off chunks with our knives as they cooked and enjoyed those pieces until the entire ribcage was done..

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X