Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making sausage links and such. Smoke or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making sausage links and such. Smoke or not?

So I bought everything I need to process my own game from now on. I've ground up 50 lbs of caribou scraps and missed up 2 batches of sausage I'm going to link up for brats. Does all this have to be smoked before sealing up and freezing or can they be cooked when it's time to eat?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I don't see why you couldn't freeze and then cook later. I go ahead and just cook mine up first though and then freeze

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

I'd link em, put some cold smoke on em, then freeze so that you can cook to taste when you are ready to eat. When I have tried smoking them hard or hot, they get too dry on the other end.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to cold smoke them as low as I can get for a couple hours then bag them up. Wish me luck.
        MMSI# 338232859

Comment

I'd go ahead and smoke them then finish them in the oven the freeze them. It's what we did with our bou pepper sticks and all you have to do is pull out of freezer and eat away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
          Keepin R' Wet
          Wasilla, AK

Comment

You can do it either way.
            Just remember that you do not want to cold smoke fresh sausage with out using a cure.

RD

Comment

Thanks for the info. Good thing I used the cure. I'm gonna try to smoke some more meat this weekend now.
              MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                So I bought everything I need to process my own game from now on. I've ground up 50 lbs of caribou scraps and missed up 2 batches of sausage I'm going to link up for brats. Does all this have to be smoked before sealing up and freezing or can they be cooked when it's time to eat?
                Made my own caribou breakfast sausage last year and froze it in Ziploc baggies. I just pulled some out today and smoked the whole 1lb. loaf. Been doin that now for awhile. Gonna go quick fry some now with a couple eggs for dinner..........Mmmmmm....good cracker! (as Andy used to say)
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X