Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much meat have you lost?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How much meat have you lost?

    Lets be honest on here.

    Nobody wants to admit it, but we all still loose meat.

    How many clean out thier frezzers after 2 years?

  • #2
    What does 2 years have to do with anything? I am still eating steaks, ribs, and hamburger from 2006 and 2007 moose. Perfectly good. Package and freeze it correctly and it can last a long time. I lost a small amount of hotdogs a number of years ago, but I think that was a function of the extra processing and I made some mistakes in the packaging leaving too much air around them. Other than that, I can't recall ever dumping any meat.

    Comment


    • #3
      I was just talking to some people and they were afraid of eating meat that was frozen over two years. ( myself give me beans that are 15 years old and meat that is'nt freezer burned to the max and I'm good to go, lol)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rock_skipper View Post
        Lets be honest on here.

        Nobody wants to admit it, but we all still loose meat.

        How many clean out thier frezzers after 2 years?
        I sort and inventory our 2 main freezers annually. I keep different types of fish & game in different milk crates or open totes. I label my fish by type and year (i.e. R-13 = Reds in 2013, H-13 for Halibut, etc) Game meat I separate by cuts (i.e. Burger in one crate, ribs in another, roasts, etc.. Makes it easy to find what I'm looking for when the lady in Charge of Laundry & Morale sends me to the freezer to get something for supper...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rock_skipper View Post
          I was just talking to some people and they were afraid of eating meat that was frozen over two years. ( myself give me beans that are 15 years old and meat that is'nt freezer burned to the max and I'm good to go, lol)
          I would probably be worried about store bought meat over more than a few months really, but not with game meat that I harvested, butchered, and packaged. Basically, if it doesn't look bad, smell bad, or taste bad, then it is fine with me. Heck, that stuff from 2006 and 2007 tastes just as good as what I got last year.

          Comment


          • #6
            I just dumped some meat. I only have a small freezer and I had to store some meat on the porch. A couple of weeks ago when I was traveling the temps got up above freezing and I ended up loosing three gallon bags of pike filets, a salmon, and two muskrats. Not that much meat, but i was pretty bummed about loosing that meat. Especially the muskrats.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've never had to dump/throw away any meat or fish. I'm usually running out, or close to being out about around the time I start harvesting said species again. About the closest I've come to it, is finding some old filet of fish buried in the bottom of my freezer that has had a hole poked in the bag or the seal failed; so the meat is completely freezer burned and covered in ice. Then I just use it for bait!

              Comment


              • #8
                I think it is very rude to inquire about MY meat.
                "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                Comment


                • #9
                  My worst was basically a whole buffalo due to having it processed and their allowing it to turn green before getting it to me...

                  got to be to much hassle unwrapping a frozen package to find green meat

                  taught me not to trust that processer anymore


                  Chris

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Neighbors had three freezers full of moose, bou and fish thaw while they were on the slope working. Came home and found two black bears in the freezer shed having a feast. All because of a gfci breaker.
                      2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

                      Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My dads house burned down last year, which is bad enough. His detached garage was OK but then he realized a few days later that the fire dept had cut power during the fight which thawed both his garage freezers full of fish. He seemed more upset about that than the house torching, and it was a nice house...

                        Scott

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by anchskier View Post
                          What does 2 years have to do with anything? I am still eating steaks, ribs, and hamburger from 2006 and 2007 moose. Perfectly good. Package and freeze it correctly and it can last a long time. I lost a small amount of hotdogs a number of years ago, but I think that was a function of the extra processing and I made some mistakes in the packaging leaving too much air around them. Other than that, I can't recall ever dumping any meat.
                          What he said.....
                          I suckbag "everything"!!
                          If I see any freezer burn starting on the edge of a fillet, I'll go through and find anymore in question and pull 'em. They are now going into the smoker. Including halibut...
                          Game meat gets eaten rather it's this years or 4 yrs ago... Still good in my book....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Fin Chaser View Post
                            My dads house burned down last year, which is bad enough. His detached garage was OK but then he realized a few days later that the fire dept had cut power during the fight which thawed both his garage freezers full of fish. He seemed more upset about that than the house torching, and it was a nice house...

                            Scott
                            Your dad is a good man...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              one whole moose to a Mama bear an her 2 small ones about 17 years ago on the Big SUE down below the bridge off the Denil HWY bouut 55 inch
                              neaver got the horns they got the horns to, I think neaver went back to check to check SID roud:
                              PS could be longer in years I forget

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X