No announcement yet.

Vacuum Sealer & Freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stid and northway, I bought my VP112 a few years before they showed up locally. It worked great until the air pistons that make the seal bar pop up started to not work every cycle. I called VacMaster and they sent me to their parts wholesaler to buy a little solinoid valve. It is the most common point of failure for these units they told me. The part costs about $10 plus shipping and takes about 5 minutes to replace. The hardest part is getting the old part out since it is glued and screwed down to the base metal. Now my old unit seals with its original authority.

So, if you ever notice that the seal bar gets a little funky and creates a partial seal, or does not seal at all every 10 or 12 cycles, just give VacMaster a call and get a new part on the way. Might even be handy to have one sitting by incase in starts acting up when you have a cooler full of reds or a moose to process.

Comment

Originally posted by AK Ray View Post
      Stid and northway, I bought my VP112 a few years before they showed up locally. It worked great until the air pistons that make the seal bar pop up started to not work every cycle. I called VacMaster and they sent me to their parts wholesaler to buy a little solinoid valve. It is the most common point of failure for these units they told me. The part costs about $10 plus shipping and takes about 5 minutes to replace. The hardest part is getting the old part out since it is glued and screwed down to the base metal. Now my old unit seals with its original authority.

So, if you ever notice that the seal bar gets a little funky and creates a partial seal, or does not seal at all every 10 or 12 cycles, just give VacMaster a call and get a new part on the way. Might even be handy to have one sitting by incase in starts acting up when you have a cooler full of reds or a moose to process.
      Good to know thanks!!
      "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Thanks! That is good to know!

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-Port.../dp/B003YE8FG0

I've got this one, Its the smallest camber vac sealer out there. Love it and can keep it on the counter year round

Comment

Brian nailed it as far as Alaska Butcher Supply. We rented one of the smaller machines from them and did an entire moose in an afternoon. Rental cost me 60 bucks plus bags, and he'll take back all the bags you don't use. They're really great to work with.

I ran into something interesting the other day and maybe it will help someone else out there. Did you know about "canning" meat and fish with a chamber vac instead of using jars and cans? Nice thing is you don't have the weight and bulk of cans, and you don't have to freeze it! I'm going to look at this for some of our hunts. Takes up less space and weighs substantially less than cans and jars, and if it does freeze, you don't end up with ruptured cans and broken glass.

We use a 30-cu. ft. upright freezer for everything, and also have a smaller upright for overflow. We don't need that as much now with the kids moved out, but it is handy. I like uprights primarily because it's easier to find things in there. Keep in mind that when you first load your freezer with meat or fish, you need to rotate the packages for a few days, until everything freezes solid. I learned this the hard way many years ago, by loading the freezer plumb-full of fish, without checking it. The stuff in the middle never froze, because it was insulated by the packages around it, and it spoiled. Something to think about.

-Mike
            Michael Strahan
            Site Owner
            Alaska Hunt Consultant
            1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

The tape gun is way faster than hog rings. I only use hog rings for my 2" summer sausage now.

Originally posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
              Why are you using a tape gun? Bags and hog rings are the usual set up for burger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jensenhayes View Post
                I moved up here a year ago and would like to start hunting but I want to do it right, especially when it comes to processing and storing meat. I've owned a cheap vacuum packer years ago that never really worked right. So what manufacturer/ model do you guys recommend? I'm also going to need to invest in a freezer and I'm not sure how big I need to go. Any size recommendations would be appreciated. Ideally I would have a moose in the fall going on top of 50 lbs of salmon. Thanks in advance for any advice.
                PM me if you are interested in small chest freezer - Free, but you need to clean out.
                Its not mine but I can put you in touch. Maybe bring the guy a 12pk of Amber.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post
                  PM me if you are interested in small chest freezer - Free, but you need to clean out.
                  Its not mine but I can put you in touch. Maybe bring the guy a 12pk of Amber.
                  Offer no longer in effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

More for theOCD types with chest freezers. I had a bunch of 8" and 10" PVC drainagetubes that were 3' long that I turned on end and put in the 14' chest freezer.I used then to divided my burgers and other cuts as well as bagged veggies andfruit. Lost a little space but my OCD is satiated!
                    All paradise rests in the shadow of swords." ~K. Yates

Comment

Got on of these in my kitchen and really love it. However get Thom Dolder to give you a discount off the web price. http://vacupack.com/commercial-vacuu...ck-visaal.html

Comment

I borrowed my buddies VP 120, the little piston that you speak of has issues. It has done about 4 moose and some fish. I called Vacmaster and another place they recommended and the part is $6.50 but the shipping is $35-$55 cuz Alaska. The part weighs a couple ounces. Alaska Butcher Supply services the Vacmaster sealers but only the larger models, I believe 210 and above. I highly recommend talking with them before buying a sealer that you want to last. The nice thing about owning your own, rather than renting, is the option to seal a small amount of or fish/game, as needed. Also, the food saver bags are way overpriced at FM or anywhere.

Go to Alaska Butcher Supply and look at prices of sealers/ bags/ etc. first.

Comment

I have the Weston Pro-2300 and its done 3 moose and alot of fish and it works great with the Cabelas brand vac bags.

Comment

My cabelas cg-15 is starting to act up - taking more kits and sealing bars that it used to...adding up in maintenance costs; so, I am looking at chamber sealers now. Going to go in on one with my uncle. He likes the cabelas vpc115 because it has a lifetime warranty. I cannot determine whether it has an oil pump (stronger and longer lasting). I can find zero reviews on them. Does anyone have any time with one of these?? 800$

Also looking at a VP215. 1 year limited warranty. Oil pump. about 1000$ (or cabelas sells the vp215c for 900 or so).

I'd like to stay around $1K but yet have a life long lasting packer that gets passed on to the next generation.

Comment

I just got the VacMaster VP-210 from Amazon for $764 shipped free with prime shipping. As mentioned, chamber machines can vacuum seal liquids, so it is well worth it. I have used a FoodSaver type for years and it's been fine, but having used chamber machines in the past, I know the difference is huge. And, as was said, you can buy the bags for a lot less and they are better quality.

Also got the 1lb game bags and tape machine. Looks really fast and efficient. Excited to use it, hopefully for spring bear!

I agree with others and also recommend buying the largest upright freezer you can afford. I have a chest and an upright and the chest now only holds bulk items I find deals on, meat or fish I need to further process and can't finish, or overflow from the upright. When you want to have salmon one night, burgers the next, and halibut the next, you will quickly hate the chest freezer. I easily fit a whole large moose, a whole caribou, and all of the salmon and ocean fish I caught into it, with room for a ham, some smoked salmon candy, and about 50lbs of mackerel from a gulf trip down south. And I can get to all of it easily.

Picked up a 15lb sausage stuffer that gets great reviews and has some user photos that really sold me. If you've ever used one, you will love it compared to stuffing with the grinder.
                              (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) There is a patty attachment made by the same company for making formed burgers right out of the stuffer.

I also got a 24lb meat mixer by the same company. It isn't essential, but it sure will keep your hands from freezing when you're working with half-frozen meat all day.

I opted for a less expensive grinder from Sams or Costco - don't remember which. Might upgrade eventually, but if it's a huge amount I want done and I need it fast, I just take it to Pioneer Meats. They bulk grind (usually the spot) for $0.75/lb and that includes the fat for burger meat, so hard to beat sometimes.

Comment

Ended up with ak butcher supply's mvs 31x. I think i am going to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X