How Long will Caribou meat stay good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long will Caribou meat stay good

I harvested my first caribou this year. I had the meat processed and wraped and frozen. How long will it stay good for

Thanks for your opinion

Jim

Much depends on how well it was wrapped and the method used. In my experience wrapped only in paper, best if used in a year, vacuum sealed up to 3 years, but still best within a year.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

How Long will Caribou meat stay good

Also depends how quickly the temp was dropped on the meat in the field. If your field care was stellar, a year is no problem, assuming it was well wrapped. Two is pushing it unless vacuum sealed, but certainly still edible and perhaps even delicious if it was well Saran wrapped.

Comment

Hmmm, I regularly eat game meat (moose and caribou) for up to 10 years, sometimes longer if I find that stray package that got wedged in a corner. Wrapped in celophane first, then freezer paper. Never had a problem unless it is REALLY old. Don't even see a difference between 1 year old and 8 year old meat. I try to mix my meals, so don't just eat all of what I got on a particular year. I am still working on some parts of 2005 and 2006 moose that I mix inbetween more recent caribou (haven't gotten a moose for a while).

Comment

Mine never lasts a year... its all eaten long before the year is up.... but i have had meat over a year old given to me..with an edge burned or other... a trip through the grinder and sausage stuffer.. makes it all brand new.
          "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

I ground up about 15lbs of moose, caribou and deer that had some freezer burn, made awesome jerky. Had some today.
            "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

I found some '08 or '09 moose roast and a package of burger in the far reaches of the freezer while restocking it. Made jerky out of the roast and cooked up the burger, all tasted fine. Still have some black bear sausage from '10 and '11 that i'm finishing up. Most of our meat is saran wrapped than wrapped in paper. But most meat is well gone within a year at our house.

Comment

field care is key as was mentioned... I decided this year the fresh stuff really is better.. and have moved to a new strategy of eating the fresh stuff(crazy right?).. I gave away all the 08/09/10... most of the 11... and we are really enjoying the 12... lots of pressure this way as I'll be pretty low come next hunting season, but the wife and kids suddenly love moose meat.. who knew?

If you carve off all that is discolored...the core red stuff can be still awesome.. and your four legged friend will be happy to help out with the trim...

Comment

I have foundthat if you wrap in saran wrap and then waxed paper it will last for years andlook just as fresh as the day you wrapped. Vacuum packed is a bit different Ihave had it last 1 yr only unless it was a chamber vacuum that was used andthat will help it last much longer. If the freezer is cold and it got a goodfreeze and stayed frozen. Meat cutterswill know what the proper freezer temp to keep meat the best.
                  sigpic
                  Sweepint
                  Wasilla,
                  '' Livn' The Dream ''
                  26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Comment

Originally posted by fishingdiago View Post
                    I harvested my first caribou this year. I had the meat processed and wraped and frozen. How long will it stay good for

Thanks for your opinion

Jim
                    A few days ago i found a couple packages of caribou dated 2006, so I made some chili. The meat is just fine and the chili's great (i'm eating some as i type). (If memory serves, this caribou went from living to frozen solid in about an hour. It was then thawed only barely enough to butcher, was properly plastic wrapped with paper overwrap).
                    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Proper care in the field, Sealed well to prevent freezer burn. FREEZER TEMPERATURE not mentioned yet. I usually eat my wild game in a year or 2. Sometimes find some I missed that is older and it's still just fine.
                      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

one of my dogs got the same muscle tape worms found in moose and caribou (wolf are carriers). Didnt seem to bother him, but his turds just weren't right. Since then i'm careful about which meat they eat. Some of my moose have had it pretty bad so you find those little "tomato seed" cysts throughout meat cuts. nasty to think about, harmless to humans i hear. i never admit seeing one when my wife and i are cookin meat...just flick it in the trash boyz!
                        https://pristineventures.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X