Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palmer Creek Road

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Palmer Creek Road

    Does anyone know if the first gate on PCR is open yet? A friend told me it usually doesn't open till Memorial Day and I just want to do some exploring down there this weekend.

  • #2
    not sure if it's open yet, but last year I hunted it and passed a nice bear dumb mistake. itwas open on memorial day weekend with little snow way up high. the bear was all the way down near the creek. personally i'd drive to the second gate and walk in from there as there was quite a bit of vehicle traffic. the other gate won't open until way later.

    Comment


    • #3
      Was there last year around the 15th. Both gates were still closed. Th road was clear till about 1.5 miles past the first gate. Watch out for the guy with the white F250

      Comment


      • #4
        Confirmed...

        Seward Forest Service 224-3374
        I called and the lady said June. Avalanche danger and slides all through the road is what she said.

        Comment


        • #5
          i was there last friday. the gate is closed, not locked though...but i parked and walked up 3 miles...didn't see snow until after the first switchback...and thats when i decided to walk back down...only saw a few grouse, and sadly no bear

          Comment


          • #6
            Well went down on Saturday. I also walked into the switchback. I tried calling in two of the clearings that they have been working on with no results. I think all of the clearing that they have been doing has pushed the bears higher up.

            I tried to find bears just about everywhere I could think of and all it got me was 3 porcupines, 1 ptarmigan, and a stuck truck that someone with a winch was kind enough to pull out.

            Next weekend hopefully will yield better results.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by l@@kin_4_holes View Post
              Well went down on Saturday. I also walked into the switchback. I tried calling in two of the clearings that they have been working on with no results. I think all of the clearing that they have been doing has pushed the bears higher up.

              I tried to find bears just about everywhere I could think of and all it got me was 3 porcupines, 1 ptarmigan, and a stuck truck that someone with a winch was kind enough to pull out.

              Next weekend hopefully will yield better results.

              I'm in the same boat as you!
              I guess my excitement is mostly to blame here. I have been about 40 from Valdez to Chitna to all my possible honey holes around the valley. Spent a small fortune on the fuel bill so far and all I have seen is land Locked river otter, lynx tracks, rabbit and some stinkin spruce hens!
              I'm off to a bad start!
              Been having a blast trying to find em though!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by powderhound View Post
                Spent a small fortune on the fuel bill so far and all I have seen is...
                Golly, I hear ya....
                "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

                Comment


                • #9
                  guess someone saw my post...now the gate is locked!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by powderhound View Post
                    I'm off to a bad start!

                    Been having a blast trying to find em though!
                    You have got your head "Right". Bear hunting can and should be a profound experience of all the Majesty the wilderness offers.

                    Old Sourdough saying: "Bear hunting is a Process, NOT an End. If you don't enjoy the Process, you won't enjoy the end".

                    Good hunting.
                    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Biked up 5 miles no bear. Very little green showing. I did see 4 sets of bear tracks, looked like 1 brown and the other 3 were blacks. The bear should be moving in full swing any day now

                      Comment

                      Footer Adsense

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X