No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4merguide
    replied
    Yes......very pretty bull. Looked better in the last two pics...

Leave a comment:

• Grizzlykiller
    replied
    Yeah I often wonder what this bull's width was. I was out alone looking to kill a bear and ran into him. I only had one game bag and wasn't interested in killing him so I took a few photos. He was a pretty bull. Weak in areas but pretty

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Holy smokes.....can that last bull lay out any further...???!!!

Leave a comment:

• Grizzlykiller
    replied
    Yeah I'm still hunting the Seward Peninsula. As Mike said elsewhere here hunting the Seward Peninsula can be a difficult place to hunt without the help and knowledge of a local contact. The roads offer access into areas but like a lot of places in Ak. there are many places that are pretty lousy to look for moose. Add in the quota's that F&G has put on the moose in unit 22 due to an abundance of bears and wolves and you've got to take into consideration the feelings of the local dudes not too pleased to see non residents looking to carve off a slice of the quota. I dealt with some of that animosity over the years because I have a brother uncles and a dad who've killed numerous bulls over the past 25 years. I spread out my impacts on the resource by hunting various locations though, or I tried. Who knows.
    Anyway to answer your question I don't personally know anyone who'd be willing to take a non resident on a moose hunt. The issue of illegal guiding is probably something that is or should be in the back of anyone's mind who's been asked that.
    As far as I know Brian Simpson is still working 22D and the name of his business is Wittrock Outfitters. He doesn't advertise and may be hard to locate. Lives in Fairbanks.
    I'm not saying it can't be done. Lots of guys have and will continue to kill a nice bull out of 22. But there's probably better areas to focus on.
    You mentioned you're an "old" non resident. I am not old. Well I don't think I'm old. I'm a couple weeks from 53. But I have a lot less enthusiasm for hunting moose today than when I was 26. Moose hunting the Seward Peninsula is probably a lot like moose hunting all over the place. It's an endurance test more than anything else. At least it is in the method I use. Riding a four wheeler across the tundra is nothing like hunting moose from a boat. The tundra beats you into submission and usually wins. Maybe I just sound like an old moose hunter.
    We all know there are guys in their 60s and even 70s killing bulls every year. I just don't know many of them who are riding a four wheeler across the wide open spaces of unit 22. That country is a young man's game or at least one who's got some leathery buttocks.

There is some nice scenery though and some fairly nice bulls to be had if you're serious. Contact Simpson. He'd be happy to lighten your bank account I'm sure and his guys earn their pay I'm guessing. Good luck with your endeavor.

Leave a comment:

• deadeye9
    replied
    Seward Peninsula Moose hunts

Looking to do a Moose hunt out of of Nome, using 4 wheelers (quads) Anybody willing and knowledgeable that would take this old non resident hunter while he's still healthy enough to fill this item on the bucket list ?

Leave a comment:

• deadeye9
    replied
    grizzlykiller looking for someone to take me by 4-wheeler up to northern Seward Peninsula for moose are you still doing it or know somebody who does?

Leave a comment:

• bushrat
    replied
    Congrats on your success, that is a most beautiful hide. I'd have a hard time not using that for a sleeping pad for years to come!

Leave a comment:

• strangerinastrangeland
    replied
    Great photos, great perspective for them especcially, outta the den :topjob:

Leave a comment:

• cietrzew
    replied
    Very nice bear.Congrats.

Leave a comment:

• norsehunter
    replied
    Very nice bear. I like the color. Nice going.

Leave a comment:

• broncoformudv
    replied
    Congrats on a successful hunt and a great looking bear!

Leave a comment:

• sh
    replied
    very nice photos. thanks

Leave a comment:

• knikglacier
    replied
    Thanks GK, for the rifle info. I suppose the 'ole Weatherby could tell a few stories!

Leave a comment:

• 1Cor15:19
    replied
    I'm loving the blond bear... Nice pics.

Leave a comment:

• martentrapper
    replied
    Way to go guys. I was at Mosquito Pass that day. No luck. That is one beautiful bear. No matter what size.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X