Jet Boil or???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Boil or???

For the last 20 yrs or so I have used a MSR Whisperlight as my hike in type stove. I like it but it's not the lightest or most convient stove out there so I'm thinking about biting the bullet & going canister most of the time. Was looking at the Pocket Rocket & the Gigapower (or whatever the $40 Snow Peak is), & the salesman started pushing the Jet Boil. I hadn't been looking at them because I didn't think you could use a normal pan without a seperate adapter. He says not so, the new ones (I was looking at the Zip & Flash) have the adapter built in so they can use any pot.
    So... What stove is for me? I am "budget concious", but could do a Jet Boil.
    It would be used primarily for day trips & fast & light 1-3 night backcountry hunts, both lowland moose & timberline black bear, etc. Most cooking will be rehydrating, but I may occassionaly cook in the pot. 1 or 2 people.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Just another Idea to consider, the Swiss Army Volcano Stove for low country. I have two. One in my daily walk'about pack, and one in my 3-day walk'about pack.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

i have had the pocket rocket (the name makes me laugh everytime i hear it) for about 10 years now. its small and light at just a few ounces and works great it may not be the biggest or strongest but works everytime and unless your trying to heat a gallon or water in under 2 seconds or whatever else some stoves claim (as if you had to heat water at the speed of light because your so pressed for time in the outdoors) then it works great.

Comment

I love my jet boil and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's really easy to carry and super-fast.
        "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

I use the MSR superfly (auto-ignite) with a Ti pot. It uses the small butane bottle & generally lasts for an entire hunt and it fits into the ti pot with the stove and a couple of sporks, maybe some folded tin foil, etc.... light and tight.
          The last jet boil I lifted was pretty heavy for a minimalist....like the concept, hate the weight.
          Proud to be an American!

Comment

I've been using the Jet Boil for a few years and really like it unless the temperatures are lower than about 20F or so... it will work lower than that but you will use more fuel and the heating times are much longer. Cooking in a pot is aggravating but certainly possible. I find the burner just scorches the food on the bottom- even at relatively low settings unless you're diligent to stir. Mine has been really reliable and I've used it quite a bit.

I like the convenience of it more than anything else. There are several better (arguably) products on the market now but when it was introduced it was pretty unique. As someone else pointed out you can buy various components and go lighter. But, I can easliy do a three day trip and boil water several times a day for meals and coffee on a single fuel canister. Great for solo trips or with a partner...but in a larger group or on a longer hunt you could do better.
            "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Vance,
              I have all three of the ones mentioned. I was issued the Wisperlite international by the Army in the early 90's (93 or 94) and bought the pocket rocket for climbing. I was given the jet boil flash a few years ago. I've used the wisperlite everywhere; at elevation (15k feet), in the rain, cold, wind you name it. I get the bulk and mess thing, it sometimes can be a pain especially when you spill fuel all over youself. With that being said; It has worked everywhere, every time on every kind of fuel from white gas to dirty third world diesel.
              The pocket rocket is great too. it works very well for the size, heats water quickly and is a ridiculously small and light. It does not work so well at elevation though, you need to keep it out of the wind and pans fall off easily. It really sucks being hungry and spending time to cook a meal only to have the wind knock off the pot as soon as it starts to boil. It is however perfect for exactly what you described. For fast and light short trips it's hard to beat. The price also makes it an easy choice.
              the jetboil is nice. It works great for an individual meal that only requires heating water. It does not work as well as the wisperlite at elevation (especially when the fuel can gets low) and it's far more bulky than the other two. I use it and like it the least of the three.
              If I had to buy another light stove I would buy the pocket rocket again.
              Hope this helps, good luck.

Comment

Vance

I have had two since they came out and they have been hands down the best canister sotve I have used.
                Their is another model I will be trying soon.
                It is a SOTO Micro Regulator CAMPING STOVE OD-1R . It has had some great reviews.

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
                Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Comment

Originally posted by RANGER RICK View Post
                  Vance

I have had two since they came out and they have been hands down the best canister sotve I have used.
                  Their is another model I will be trying soon.
                  It is a SOTO Micro Regulator CAMPING STOVE OD-1R . It has had some great reviews.

RR

RR, are you saying the JB is the best you have used so far?

Thanks for all the comments guys. Keep them coming!
                  Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                  "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

Originally posted by Vance in AK View Post
                    RR, are you saying the JB is the best you have used so far?

Thanks for all the comments guys. Keep them coming!
                    Vance

For a canister stove yes . I have had a Whisperlite International that I take on hunts as a back up incase the Jet boils ever wet down and it is still new in the case , knock on wood.

RR
                    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
                    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Comment

I've had a pocket rocket for about 8 years now and love it. simple, light, cheap. fuel and lighter or matches fit into a pot that I use for everything from morning coffee to mountain house.

Comment

JETBOIL....there are many out there..have use some mentioned. Each has it's own advantage and disadvantage... IMO..JETBOIL rocks...fast and easy. Have used it high and low in altitudes cold and warm temps..does take longer when in extreme cold to get to boiling point..but dont spend many nights out there below 10F...lol
                        President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
                        http://akwaterfowl.com
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
                        AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
                        Gen.1:26
                        And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Comment

If you ever plan on flying in to hunt, most of the pressurized canisters can not be put on a plane, even a cargo only aircraft. Not bad mouthing any of them, just look around if flying might be an option.
                          I have used MSR for a long time and remain pretty happy. I know there are lighter ones, but the whisperlite and the XGK have worked well for me.
                          ARR

Comment

There are DOT approved canisters, just buy them during the summer before the fall rush and you won't have a problem. I like the jetboil, it is a great stove for boiling. It's a reasonable weight and nice handy package. Pretty hard to beat as a system. That said there are certainly other stoves out there that are lighter and faster to boil. The Soto stove is one that I plan on getting this year and trying out. I also have a whisperlite int that I will drag out for winter camping.

In the end, if you just want a simple, reasonably lite all inclusive stove package that works well together and doesn't cost a fortune then the jetboil is darn good. If your a geardo ounce counter like some of us though you can piece together a lighter faster system.

Comment

I've got a pocket rocket!(hehehe)! I actually purchased 2 so as to have a back-up. I have a small aluminum pot with a locking lid purchased circa '77. I place fuel and stove and stubby fork/spoon(I cut off the ends) inside and the entire thing weighs less than I could have imagined. I have used 1 can of fuel on a 10 day alaska float and come home with fuel remaining. Yes, I build fires when I can and only use the stove when necessary, not for convienience. I do think it is wise to plan to use the stove as a primary source. That way you have plenty of fuel, I just prefer to sit around a campfire. I've not used the other products. Perhaps they are better. I am happy with my PR.
                              Nick Clegg
                              Husband, Father, Hunter,
                              Usually in that order
                              http://nixoutdoorpursuits.blogspot.com/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X