45 ACP bear protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 ACP bear protection?

Hey, I was wondering if you guys would use a 45 auto for bear protection when fishing? My Pa has one, and I bicked up some "huntin bullets" for it today, and I plan on using it for spring steel head, I like it cause it it rugged, crazy accurate (dad can littlerally stack bullets) and I can shoot it really well too, and it has an 8 round clip.

Whatchya think?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

not me....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

I would, I often just take my Glock 22 RTF. And it has a 8 round "Magazine", not a "Clip".
      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
        I would, I often just take my Glock 22 RTF. And it has a 8 round "Magazine", not a "Clip".
        Oops, thanks for the correction. my dads M1 garand has a clip, the 45 has a magzine, its gets confusing.
        Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

Originally posted by FurFishGame View Post
          Oops, thanks for the correction. my dads M1 garand has a clip, the 45 has a magzine, its gets confusing.
          Sorry, Sometime I just can't help being an jackass.
          "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

The real issue with carrying a handgun for bear protection is not nearly as dependant on the caliber as most sales folks would have you believe. It is more about being able to stand your ground and place a shot at a very fast moving target in circumstances that would make even some real tough guys void themselves. Most folks who come here go through the handgun for bear protection thing and a heck of a lot of big caliber pistols are sold for that reason. The reality is most of those folks rarely shoot those guns (who would given the ammunition costs unless you reload). If you are an expert with a handgun then the .45 ACP using suitable loads would be a hellava lot better than using a handcannon that you canít hit a bull in the arse with at 10 feet. And yes, for the sake of not appearing completely out of the loop, call it a magazine!

Comment

if you are going to use a 45 acp for bear "protection" can i have your stuff?... i mean, like after you are dead and everything....:shot:
              Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
              http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
                if you are going to use a 45 acp for bear "protection" can i have your stuff?... i mean, like after you are dead and everything....:shot:
                LOL!!! That is what I was thinking! Although sameyer is correct in his statement, the kinetic energy required (outside of the miracle .22 lr perfect placement shot) is far greater than a .45 ACP. Not saying you wouldn't cause a lot of damage and probably in the end kill the bear. It's just you would probably be going down with it after it mauls you to death. STOPPING power is what everyone talks about. No you don't need a .500 or "hand cannon", but you need sufficient power. As far as what's enough, do a search in this forum and you will find weeks worth of reading on this EXACT subject. I like the .44 Mag personally as you can get a box of ammo just about anywhere in Alaska...

AZinAK

Comment

If you insist on using a 45acp, dont use hunting bullets, use hard ball. At least you will get as much penatration as the 45acp is capable of , which in my opinion is not enough.

Comment

Handguns are for people...shotguns and rifles are for critters.
                    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

If all I had was my 1911 I would take it in the woods with me and I would be stoking it with these. It would be far better than trying to choke out the bear.....

Caliber : .45 ACP+P

Bullet : 255gr. Keith Style SWC Hardcast Lead

Ballistics : 875fps - 434 ft./lbs. - 5" bbl.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=428

Comment

Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
                        Handguns are for people...shotguns and rifles are for critters.
                        +1 absolutley, if it really is an issue, I'll take a heavy rifle and suffer the inconvienence every time.

Comment

Originally posted by saint_nick3 View Post
                          If all I had was my 1911 I would take it in the woods with me and I would be stoking it with these. It would be far better than trying to choke out the bear.....

Caliber : .45 ACP+P

Bullet : 255gr. Keith Style SWC Hardcast Lead

Ballistics : 875fps - 434 ft./lbs. - 5" bbl.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=428
                          Dang, that is a hellava load for the ACP.

Comment

If it's impractical to carry a rifle or shotgun, I will carry bear spray... But that's just me....
                            Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                            http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Originally posted by sameyer View Post
                              Dang, that is a hellava load for the ACP.
                              less than 100 ft/lbs of energy over the .38 special. Not adequate, but better than a sharp stick!

Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.)
                              "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X