Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subsistence?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Allen

    Thank GOD you have not gone dry I love nothing more than to come in and indulge

    Comment


    • #17
      Hell Jon I gave up drinking 15 years ago when the price of freight cost more than the beer.

      Comment


      • #18
        You know exactly why that is being asked...

        "Then why do we have so many villages around Bethel telling us that we need to go dry when it comes to the issue of alcohol?" umm, what villages are asking villages to go dry there Mr. Glore? I know the villages are putting there input, per AVCP, about an alcohol delivery point, but not to go dry...& for that, Mr. Glore, you know exactly why that's being asked, because majority of the all the bootlegged liquor comes from & through Bethel.

        Thank god for Walmart, & Sports Authority where cheap prices allow me to afford firearms...

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by gogoalie
          Mr. Glore, you know exactly why that's being asked, because majority of the all the bootlegged liquor comes from & through Bethel.

          ...
          But weren't people born with the capacity of whether or not to buy booze from a bootlegger? Nobody ever put a gun to anybodies head and said you have to buy this bottle of booze for $50.

          Comment


          • #20
            only 50?

            Hey Allen you mean they only cost 50 bucks in Bethel? Wow, it is 4 times that much out here.

            Comment


            • #21
              Back to the Argument...

              Allen, what's your stance on subsistence?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by gogoalie
                Allen, what's your stance on subsistence?

                If it was done the way it was done 100 or more years ago I would support it 100% but being as how it is now only used as an advantage over other residents to keep them out of certain areas, I do not totally support it. Between my wife and I we make over $120,000.00 a year working 3 jobs. I qualify for subsistence as far as the game regulations go. Is it fair? Hell no. If a person had no other means of survival(read that to include any and all government programs) I would support it. But very few people live without some form of government assistance. It's Unamerican to want your cake and eat it too.

                Comment


                • #23
                  true

                  That is very True Allen, I wonder what will happen in the years to come when gas skyrockets out here. There are rumors here of gas being between 7-8 bucks a gallon. I love being able to subsist on birds and fish. But there is one thing that really bothers me, and that is watching the people from the villages "run and gun" birds. Anyone who has duck hunted in the bush has seen this done. They must burn 100 bucks in gas for every 10 birds they shoot. That kind of subsistance abuse needs to be dealt with.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Allen...

                    Obviously, you sell firearms in the delta, & I am sure many of your clients are subsistence hunters & fishermen/women, so of course your not wanting to alienate your customers, so with that of course your not totally against it...why wouldn't someone here want not to hunt beaver, muskrat, crane, swan, geese, duck, etc. to keep the food bills down?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I could care less how many customers I alienated. I have refused to order Savage firearms for people because I refuse to be involved in the purchase of an inferior product. Afterall I do reserve the right to refuse service to anybody.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Well, I will remind myself...

                        to vote with my pocketbook the next time I visit Bethel, in particular looking for Firearms for my next purchase...(Wonder if Anvil's Gun Cache is still in Business)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by gogoalie
                          to vote with my pocketbook the next time I visit Bethel, in particular looking for Firearms for my next purchase...(Wonder if Anvil's Gun Cache is still in Business)

                          They sure are if you want to pay his extorsionist prices.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            then you will see them sitting their butts down...

                            Originally posted by fishermann222
                            That is very True Allen, I wonder what will happen in the years to come when gas skyrockets out here. There are rumors here of gas being between 7-8 bucks a gallon. I love being able to subsist on birds and fish. But there is one thing that really bothers me, and that is watching the people from the villages "run and gun" birds. Anyone who has duck hunted in the bush has seen this done. They must burn 100 bucks in gas for every 10 birds they shoot. That kind of subsistance abuse needs to be dealt with.
                            I've seen it too, but I prefer to sit & call the ducks in, as so many do here on the Yukon, & only a small portion run & gun.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              If done right, there is nothing wrong with subsistance. I live in the city but spent some time in Kwethluk, hooperbay, chevak, tokotna, nikoli (sp) and a few other villages. good folks and I didnt exactly see a fred meyers or carrs around.

                              Unfortunately the system is so screwed up I dont support it. I've only had a limited exposure to the subsistance hunts. My wife was proxied a tier 2 hunt for bou for the nelchina herd. Now last I heard it was supposed to be a subsistance hunt. Now I make pretty decent money but most of the people I seen along the denali made me look like a pauper. its screwed up.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Blink
                                I live in the city but spent some time in chevak


                                When were you in Chevak? My wife was born and raised there.

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X