Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOG Approves nonres moose hunt in 16B - talk about stirring emotions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sameyer View Post
    We often speak of non-residents like they are the anti-christ or something. They are hunters and many are spending their hard earned money for that once in a lifetime hunt. I get that hunters in Alaska do not want non-residents infringing on their hunting grounds but at the same time, is it really right to screw them for the almmighty dollar?
    Well said, SAMEYER. Some of our Alaska resident forum members that contribute good information now, were once curious non-residents looking for advice. Let's keep our fraternity as united as possible!

Comment

There was a time when the area between Beluga and Drift River produced trophy bulls. Of course there was a guide outfit on every strip or navigable part of river, limiting the resident blue-collar harvest somewhat and what was not under guide control is under the control of the Tyonek Corp.

Then the brown bears thrived and the moose numbers fell into the abyss.

War was declared on the bears and what could be harvested as a moose was done only by Tier II recipients if they could find one.

The bears thinned somewhat, and before the moose could stage a comeback we have what we have now; an open invitation to non-residents and residents alike to take what you can of the legal moose that may be there and may not. I mean, couldn't we have opened it to the residents of Kenai and Anchorage for a while to test the harvest numbers and availability before we allow the non-resident to get his "fair share" of the Alaska resident full-freezer?

And before you question what the Tyonek Corporation has to do with any of this as they are the rightful inhabitants blah, blah, blah... Understand that they enter into agreements with guiding outfits who bring in non-residents to kill things on their land while denying access to Joe ****-the-rag-man.

Bummer for most, huh?

Anyway, feel free to snipe away, but I'm a counter-sniper so you better shoot straight!

Taylor

Comment

Trapak, while I can't speak for everyone. My worries are the message that it sends. They just made it 2 brown bear a year, bear snaring for brown and black bear, extended the brown bear season year around, just a year or two ago ADF&G encouraged black bear hunters to shoot sows with cubs. They were all saying the moose are in trouble and calf survival is low and the goal is to get more moose for maximum sustained yield. Now all of a sudden they opened up nonresident moose hunting, basically for the guides and transporters. The message is basically were going to kill as many bears as we can in an area and then once the moose population shows signs of rebounding it's gonna open up to nonresidents.

This just fuels the argument that Alaska is shooting bears and wolves to allow more moose and caribou for trophy hunting nonresidents. That's what I'm worried about and I think that's probably what other people are concerned about with this decision. I'm all for allowing the harvest of predators, but the motives for it need to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Chisana View Post
          akres will not take kindly to a suggestion that he is british.
          Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
          To be so civilized...I am humbled...beyond measure! LMAO

There are pockets of good bulls in 16B...wasn't long ago one of Mike S' friends was offering a cheap hunt over there...a guide that wanted to cull several good bulls a year from his area. Any chap with a cub and two hours can find a good bull there...even three years ago, when the moose were in dire straits it was easily doable.
          Cheerio
          "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
          ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

Being that it seems to be an "intensive management area", there should be no non-resident hunting there until the moose #'s are up. Can you smell SFW? I smell it all over this decision! $$ talks and bull**** walks. It is something that you will see more and more of....

Comment

I think if you dig into it you will find that the bull cow ratio is out of wack. There is not alot of moose but in order for them to do better they need to take more bulls. Non-res = guide and they seem to have better sucsess than most resident hunters. Well thats my logic.

Comment

I'm pretty sure 16b was/has been open to residents for a couple of yrs. We were down on the kahiltna and there was no shortage of moose we saw plenty one poor fella fell in the river and met his maker someone already chopped his a antlers off.

Comment

Originally posted by sameyer View Post
                  We often speak of non-residents like they are the anti-christ or something. They are hunters and many are spending their hard earned money for that once in a lifetime hunt. I get that hunters in Alaska do not want non-residents infringing on their hunting grounds but at the same time, is it really right to screw them for the almmighty dollar?
                  I don't blame the non-resident DYI hunter, I could see myself in that position 30 years ago. My problem is the BOG for buckling to political pressure. It seems to me the BOG wants their cake and eat it to.
                  Chuck

Comment

I'm not against non-residents. I was once one myself.

But what sense does it makes to have an open non-resident moose season in an area that has so few moose (allegedly) that we need to kill of some brown bear to support RESIDENT harvest goals. Unless I'm wrong and moose go from babies to full size in 6 months, just how exactly, is this supposed to work?

Did the moose numbers increase as soon as the BOG passed the snaring law?

Just where exactly did these extra moose come from? And so quickly?

I'm waiting to see a change in the high ticket hunts like Sheep and Goat.

Any ideas who pushed this?

P.S.
                    AKRES is definately British, I know it. His use of the Kings English is evident in his posts.

Comment

[QUOTE=AlpineEarl;921993
                      Any ideas who pushed this? [/QUOTE]

My guess would be SFW and APHA
                      Chuck

Comment

It looks like I'm going to have to get another profile since the people who argue with themselves are having all the fun.
                        Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Comment

Some of you act like we've never had magically appearing and disappearing animals before. Unit 13 caribou can increase or decrease by 20000 in two years. Moose in 13 can as well. How about 20a and 20d needing antler restrictions while a cow slaughter goes on. Us meat hunters act like these cow slaughters were not to appease us like this move in 16b is appeasing some one else. Appeaseing is great when you are being appeased.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
                          Unknown author

Comment

Originally posted by hiline View Post
                            My guess would be SFW and APHA
                            Exactly, you don't think they are spending all that $$ for nothing in return?? It will get uglier as the years pass. Watch and see how this plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by northway View Post
                              Exactly, you don't think they are spending all that $$ for nothing in return?? It will get uglier as the years pass. Watch and see how this plays out.
                              OHHHH..I hope this doesn't (d)evolve into another one of those Bash The Alaska Professional Hunters Association threads...again. Honestly now, who should really be allowed to reap the rewards of their efforts??? The Pro who has cultivated his local herd of moose and registered use area into a cullable state...or...the local who has sat around his woodstove wringing his hands for the past ten years?
                              :rolleyes:
                              Last edited by Akres; 04-06-2011, 09:18. Reason: Supposed to be a RollingEyes Icon..but you can't see it well.
                              "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                              ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

The whole 16 fiasco just irks me. First, we are sold a bill of goods as to why we "need" predator control to boost moose numbers for resident subsistence needs... Then after just a couple years we have the area opened to non-res hunting?
                                The efficacy of the bear control has hardly had time to be determined. If "bear control" is really the silver bullet we are being told it is, then let's just do it and be done. Lift the "must be guided" rule and get a bunch of out of state hunters to kill some grizzlies. Go ahead and allow gall sales, provide all the incentive possible and just do it, and do it right.
                                Then we can sit back and either see a success... Or not.
                                As it is we are just nickle and diming the issue into a half-assed program of perpetual control, with no definitive definition or expectation of success.
                                Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                                http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X