Umiat outfitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umiat outfitter

I'm curious to know the whereabouts of a guy named Ray and his Dad (last name escapes me) that had an outfitting/flying business based out of Umiat. He was doing the lower 48 show circuit awhile back. Last I remember seeing him was about 10 or so years ago, maybe more. I remember his big thrill was flying the rivers looking for fossil teeth and ivory after the spring meltoff. Very cool, some of the relics and stories he had.

Thanks!
    -Steve

Martentrapper?? I figured you would at least remember hearing of the guy, even if you did not know his current status. I also remeber that Ray used to do game surveys for g & f.

Info??

Comment

Don't know who your talking about. I've heard others tell of flying north slope rivers for fossil stuff, but never anyone named Ray.
      I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
      I have less friends now!!

Comment

I never was up there but I had friends who were regularly a number of years ago. I believe the man was OJ Smith and he had two sons who lived there also. They ran the weather station etc at Umiat.

Comment

Smith

Yes, it was O.J. Smith. He had two sons, one named Ray and I can't remember the other's name. O.J. died several years ago. I don't know what the boys are doing or where they might be doing it.

Rick

Comment

I flew with Ray Smith in '92, last i heard he went out of business a little while back as I was looking for him as well. I believe he use to fly a 207 on floats out of Umiat but lived in North Pole.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X