Alaska Big Game Stamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Big Game Stamp?

This may have been addressed in prior posts and I missed it, cannot find anything with the search. If so, I apologize for the duplicity.
    Wondering what the folks on this site think of implementing an Alaska Big Game Stamp. We all know that economics drives much of what ADF&G is capable of in terms of management. There is a fairly constant cry for this or that in terms of producing more animals, especially moose and caribou. In the case of moose it is largely a matter of habitat, more so than predators at least in most cases. With a stamp, which of course would need to be implemented by the legislature, the funds could be targeted specifically for enhancement of hunting opportunities via habitat development and predator control.
    It seems we are on the edge of an economic down turn that may last a fair amount of time. With that the odds of more funding for the sorts of things hunters want isnít likely. I know there is a lot of talk about harvest ticket fees, which is probably inevitable and probably should be in place. The difference, at least as I understand how these things work, the money generated from a stamp could be dedicated funds, as in duck stamps.
    Just my opinion but it seems borderline ridiculous that duck hunters pay more for a license and stamps than big game hunters pay to hunt, nine species of big game. Any thoughts out there?

You're right about one thing; We are approaching an economic downturn that people aren't expecting. It will be something larger than the 'great depression'.

With that said, I am against anything that takes more money out of my pocket and puts more money in the hands of the government. I'm Sorry but they've taken plenty of my money. Let them get more funds from the illegals they're about to grant amnesty to. When I hear about the federal government taking millions of our dollars and sending it overseas to rebuild mosques and provide internet access, it makes my blood boil. I'm keeping my money. Fish & Game can appeal for these funds from the federal government.

If people feel they want to 'donate' to fish & game on an individual basis, that's fine with me. Perhaps the folks who got two or three tags in the drawing may feel inclined to donate.

Comment

Well...If it proved out to be as (in)effective as the King Salmon Stamps...my vote would be a resounding "NO".

Figure if I want to lick stamps, I'd be writin' letters.
      "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
      ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

When the big down turn comes folks will leave and mother nature will handle the moose proper
        Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

"When the big down turn comes folks will leave and mother nature will handle the moose proper" - well said, IMHO the sooner the better! Mother nature established it's own equilibrium long before the hand of man started to "manage" that equilibrium into an unnatural but self serving balance. I am all for letting nature take it's course ... and let the cards fall where they may without excessive human interference.
          Prob not a popular stance, but honest never the less.
          "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Comment

Originally posted by shphtr View Post
            Mother nature established it's own equilibrium long before the hand of man started to "manage" that equilibrium into an unnatural but self serving balance. I am all for letting nature take it's course ... and let the cards fall where they may without excessive human interference.
            shphtr...........at what point in the past did human presence on this planet stop being part of "Nature"?
            I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
            I have less friends now!!

Comment

ADF&G is bucks up right now big time ..... because of all the Pittman-Robertson funds.
              johnnie laird

Comment

MT - "at what point in the past did human presence on this planet stop being part of Nature - I don't know, so hopefully you can enlighten me.
                "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Comment

Who is included in the "excess" count? Who's not?

Comment

this is a terrible idea, why would you want the fish & game to have more money, I have seen nothing productive come from what we pay already. if they would start transplanting sheep into some new mountain ranges like the ray's or fix the rex trail up so it's not a problem, then or lic money would be really helping us out. the duck hunters have to pay the money because the birds are traveling i.e. federal, I think every Alaskan should be in titled to go harvest a moose, caribou or sheep free of charge. why is it a tag for a Nevada bighorn is $1,200 dollars(non-res) & a dall sheep tag is $425(non-res) what's wrong with this price? your tag idea is a waste of time & money.

Comment

Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
                      shphtr...........at what point in the past did human presence on this planet stop being part of "Nature"?
                      When humans started hunting, to just hang it on the wall. :mad:
                      Shoot to kill, kill to eat!

http://adventuremongers.com/index.ph...id=40&catid=13

Comment

Originally posted by FullFreezer View Post
                        this is a terrible idea, why would you want the fish & game to have more money, I have seen nothing productive come from what we pay already. if they would start transplanting sheep into some new mountain ranges like the ray's or fix the rex trail up so it's not a problem, then or lic money would be really helping us out. the duck hunters have to pay the money because the birds are traveling i.e. federal, I think every Alaskan should be in titled to go harvest a moose, caribou or sheep free of charge. why is it a tag for a Nevada bighorn is $1,200 dollars(non-res) & a dall sheep tag is $425(non-res) what's wrong with this price? your tag idea is a waste of time & money.
                        Now that there is some funny %&$#.

Comment

If the USFS would let "Mother Nature" take her course and burn all the beetle killed spruce and pine throughout the U.S., habitat would be just peachy.

Why on earth would I want to pay another tax to hunt ?

Comment

Well about what I expected, the entitlment mentality of some hunters in this state never seizes to astonish me.

Comment

Originally posted by sameyer View Post
                              Well about what I expected, the entitlment mentality of some hunters in this state never seizes to astonish me.
                              There is a sense of entitlement (for me anyways) when it comes to paying extra to hunt in my own territory and the people who are coming from the outside dont pay their share. Im not saying hunting in Alaska is cheap to an outsider, but they should have to pay more before a single Alaska hunter pays even a cent more. How many tropy hunters come to Alaska for a rack and end up leaving the meat in state after they have flow out? Heck, Ill take the meat... How about instead of making Alaskans pay for a big game stamp you suggest adding $200 to every single out of state hunters game tags? Sounds fair to me if you really want to manage the game poplulation for generations of Alaskans to come (provided ADF&G would use the funds to improve the game populations).

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X