Single Shot's for Brown Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Shot's for Brown Bears

What are your thoughts on using a single shot rifle for brown bears? I just never heard of anybody using a single shot(Encore/TC) for the big bears. I really like the Encore and enjoy shooting mine and they have numerous calibers to choose from.

I will admitt having a 416 Rigby setup in a Encore is a pretty light rifle for that caliber. It's not as painful as I thought it would be but the 28" fluted SS barrel ported helps out.

I would use a single shot, expecially a 416! Lol, I wouldlove to get an Encore, so I could switch out the barrels, if I had the choice, I would go with 416, 375 or one of those.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

Carry a BUG and bring a buddy and I think you will be just fine. Good luck this year, I hope it's a hot one!
      "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

had several clients with encore rifles..just fine. often times you can reload them almost as fast as a bolt...just be comfy with the gun you shoot. its all suppose to be about one shot anyway...
        Www.blackriverhunting.com
        Master guide 212

Comment

My only single shot is a Ruger #1 in .458 WinMag. As I think about it, I would use nothing less. OTOH, I took it to Africa and my PH discouraged me from using it, in favor of my LH 700 in .375 H&H. My shooting with the .458 did not impress him. Today, I'd go with a controlled feed bolt in something like .338 WinMag, .340 Wby or larger for big bears.

Originally posted by 450HUNTER View Post
          What are your thoughts on using a single shot rifle for brown bears? I just never heard of anybody using a single shot(Encore/TC) for the big bears. I really like the Encore and enjoy shooting mine and they have numerous calibers to choose from.

I will admitt having a 416 Rigby setup in a Encore is a pretty light rifle for that caliber. It's not as painful as I thought it would be but the 28" fluted SS barrel ported helps out.

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
            had several clients with encore rifles..just fine. often times you can reload them almost as fast as a bolt...just be comfy with the gun you shoot. its all suppose to be about one shot anyway...
            Forum member Kotton used to shoot a Ruger #1 in 3006, then he moved up to a .300 win mag encore Pro Hunter.....he could reload just about as fast as I could with my bolt action and still hit with perfection....trust me, we put it to the test....you need to learn to have fast hands and fingers... you just gotta practice and have confidence in yourself and your firearm
            sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

people kill brown bears with a bow, so I would think a single shot rifle would get the job done too
              Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

I think hunting brown bear with a single shot would be fine provided an adequate cartridge was used and you didn't too close for your first shot. The bear should not know where you are even after the first shot. If the first shot is where it belongs the bear will be dead shortly and will never know what hit him or where it came from. If the bear knows you are there, a single shot may not be the best choice. I'm sure that in the 1800s most bear were shot with a single shot.

Comment

A single shot for big brown bears?
                  Consider any quality 54 or 58 caliber muzzle loader.
                  Heart or double lung shots only.

"Adventure...is relative"
                  Imagine (It's easy if you try)
                  …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
                  (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

Comment

The only downfall to the single shot is the pucker factor if a bear does not drop and heads into the bushes!Not my idea of fun looking for a wounded bear with only one round.I have done this and am still here but the bears have all been dead when found.Like TrueAdventure said,pick your shot wisely,and as BRWNBR said "it should only take one shot".

Comment

As long as you can out run your backup, I say go for it!!

Comment

All I use now and I have never taken a second shot at anything cept war time.
                        Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

I hunt them with a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H, never had any second thoughts about it. Even took a recent trip to Kodiak and didn't lose any sleep.
                          http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

I understand it should only take one shot but you never know. Most of the time you here of brown bears having to be shot more then one time. I will just have to wait until I get ready to go on a brown bear hunt and decide then which rifle I will take. That's the nice thing about having several to choose from.

Comment

I love my h-tropical No.1 for bear hunting- very nice handling, hangs well for off-hand shooting. I keep a blazer bullet holder on the reciever for easy access. I have let the air out of a number of big bears with it; .416 rem. is great bear medicine. I have guided on several promo hunts using T/C's in .375 H&H and a .416 Rigby; all performed well- in comparison the No.1 is faster to reload and aim the 2nd shot.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X