Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
    Why don't they just let us shoot em at Portage? I say turn em lose in Bear Valley hell w/ the bush, I don't have a plane. Why do the interior people get all the buff?
    That was my thinking when BR mentioned the possibility of euthanizing them. I would sign up for that and split the meat with someone or a charity.

But like the frozen muskies the feds wouldn't let anyone salvage meat from, the meat of these bison would probably go to waste after the animals were put down. That's how the bureaucrats roll.

Fullbush- sell your gillnetter and get a plane. Then you can take advantage of those "special" opportunities.

Comment

What a crying shame! The state has done a ton of studies and got these bison from Canada only to have govt. hold this up. Sure pisses me off. Get those **** buff's out to the Yukon Flats where they were originally supposed to go. They need to get over this endangered species crap and let them loose and see how they do. The buff's should have NO effect on future drilling, etc. Govt. is stupid at best.

Comment

FYI to all,

There were two bison bills recently submitted by Rep. Alan Dick. This one to block a two-decade plan and project for the reintroduction of wood bison, and another that seeks to fence in the Delta bison herd.

I would urge all hunters to oppose both of these bills. For the life of me I don't understand why Rep Dick, who is a hunter, has submitted these bills that completely go against what hunters and the hunting community have long said they wanted. I know of no hunting org up here that does not support wood bison reintroduction. I know of no hunting org up here or any working group or advisory committee that supports fencing in the Delta bison.

Pay attention folks...there is a likely reason these two bills were submitted together. I have concerns the overwhelming (and irrational) anti-fed ESA fears of the one may cloud the other.
        Mark Richards
        www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

Thanks Mark. I for one will contact Rep. DICK and let him know how I feel. He certainly will not get any support from me if he is pushing this crap.

Comment

Turn them lose on Wrangell,they will be gone by spring
            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

You can hear what he has to say about the issue here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTj476AD6WM

Comment

Is anyone besides me bothered by the fact that hunting opportunities for these animals will be non-existent for non-natives and urban residents?

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                  Turn them lose on Wrangell,they will be gone by spring
                  But I bet you there will be some full freezers!
                  "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

Originally posted by bushrat View Post
                    FYI to all,

There were two bison bills recently submitted by Rep. Alan Dick. This one to block a two-decade plan and project for the reintroduction of wood bison, and another that seeks to fence in the Delta bison herd.

I would urge all hunters to oppose both of these bills. For the life of me I don't understand why Rep Dick, who is a hunter, has submitted these bills that completely go against what hunters and the hunting community have long said they wanted. I know of no hunting org up here that does not support wood bison reintroduction. I know of no hunting org up here or any working group or advisory committee that supports fencing in the Delta bison.

Pay attention folks...there is a likely reason these two bills were submitted together. I have concerns the overwhelming (and irrational) anti-fed ESA fears of the one may cloud the other.
                    Spot on. +1
                    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Is the lower Innoko really decent bison country? These are wood bison I assume. Don't they still need grassland type of areas for forage? Seems like I heard the farewell bison were transplanted after fires around there destroyed some forest country, but are now decreasing as the forest comes back.
                      Isn't the agriculture around Delta the only activity that really keeps suitable habitat for those bison to exist in?
                      I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                      I have less friends now!!

Comment

Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
                        Is the lower Innoko really decent bison country? These are wood bison I assume. Don't they still need grassland type of areas for forage? Seems like I heard the farewell bison were transplanted after fires around there destroyed some forest country, but are now decreasing as the forest comes back.
                        Isn't the agriculture around Delta the only activity that really keeps suitable habitat for those bison to exist in?
                        They seem to thrive around the copper river valley
                        In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

I have only payed a bit of attention to this issue over the years. Or debacle, depending on where you stand? Labman asked a question that nobody has answered, so I'll ask it a bit differently. Is anybody concerned that the State of AK has spent this much of its resources to introduce a new species (in anybody's lifetime that is alive today) to a rural area whose residents it appears can start to subsistence hunt them from the day they are released?
                          What makes any of you think that there will ever be a viable herd for the rest of the state to have access to if subsistence users have unfettered sole use?
                          How does subsistence even come to play here? As I recall years back the management plan was that these animals will fit into and around existing species. They are not being introduced to replace animals already in the wild. I'm sure somebody has been following this closely and can explain it all, but at face value, this stinks.
                          On another note, the bison are supposed to be free ranging. That means they can roam right over to Corporation Land. It seems to me that has already happened w/ another bison herd in Alaska, why do it again?
                          I'm sure somebody will have some reasonable explanations, and I'll read them with an open mind,
                          ARR

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                            Is anyone besides me bothered by the fact that hunting opportunities for these animals will be non-existent for non-natives and urban residents?
                            Like you would not believe. If it turns out to be so it would be yet another illustration of entitlement, contrary to the State Constitution, and at the expense of taxpayers.

Comment

Originally posted by .338WM View Post
                              Like you would not believe. If it turns out to be so it would be yet another illustration of entitlement, contrary to the State Constitution, and at the expense of taxpayers.
                              Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Entitlement to Natives? All any of you have to do is read the proposal. ADFG has had a web page and literature dedicated for this for years. There is no conflict with hunters, it's a win for us. The only crazy opposition comes from some ESA stunt while completely ignoring the facts surrounding the release.

A few catch phrases thrown about with some fancy gubmint talk sprinkled on top and folks sure will support causes that are completely against their own self interest. It's amazing.

Don't take anybody's word for it, just look into for a few minutes. It's long been settled and clear.

Comment

As far as I know, there is no one that will be entitled to these bison. The ones they want to release are woodland bison and there are only a few spots in Alaska that they have identified for them to be released. The biggest one is the Yukon Flats, but with the exploration that Doyon is doing right now, has put that on hold. I have no issues with getting these animals released to wherever they will survive. NO ONE should be able to hunt them via subsistence at all. When the population is big enough to allow harvest, it should be by drawing permit only.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X