Goat judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goat judging

This is a tough one for me. Say you round a corner up in the alpine and this is staring at you. Shooter or no?

It obviously got the length but for the length minor base meaurements, early season little glands. Billy or Nanny? If nanny is it still a shooter?Click image for larger version

Name:	goat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	2509473

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2478964Vs. this one that is clearly a nanny.

Comment

nice bases on the first goat, younger billy, in the 8 in range would be my guess.
      his bases look lopsided, left horn (his left) looks like a better base than the other. but all in all a good size goat, not a monster but a good goat.
      Www.blackriverhunting.com
      Master guide 212

Comment

Agree that the billy is not a giant, NOT a nine incher, yet.
        Is it a shooter, or not?
        Depends on how mush physical and mental toughness remains within you. And how many more days you can hunt.
        Imagine (It's easy if you try)
        …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
        (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

Comment

Goat judging can be hard sometimes. Decent goat, not a shooter. If you get a chance, go to the local fish and game office and grab one of those free pamphlets on judging goats. It's a quiz with the answers in the back. Gives ya some great information and throws a few surprises in there too.

Comment

Here is a tough one for ya guys I took on a goat hunt a couple years ago:

Even at less than 50 yards I couldn't tell how big it was for a while .

Comment

nanny...about 8 inches, 4-5 years old...
              looks familiar....at least the snow does!!
              Www.blackriverhunting.com
              Master guide 212

Comment

Here is some good info on goat judging for those who have not seen it.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...ion_08Utah.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                  nanny...about 8 inches, 4-5 years old...
                  looks familiar....at least the snow does!!
                  Probably right. It should look familiar in those rock behind it is where I got schooled up on how to skin for a life size mount on a bruiser of an archery goat.

Comment

First pic looks like a younger billy...about 8 1/4''
                    shooter? Would depend on the situation/weather/pressure and if there are better goats to be found.

I'd probably let him walk early on, but make a mental note of where he calls home.

Good pics for goat judging!
                    Proud to be an American!

Comment

Bighorse pic is a 3.5 - 4.5 year old billy, and I would need to see the head of the other goat to make a call.

Comment

Awesome pic's! I have never done a goat hunt, but it is definitely one I have on the list. So, will you reveal the answers at some point??

Comment

Originally posted by Bighorse View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]47271[/ATTACH]Vs. this one that is clearly a nanny.
                          That was a good day. Did that first pic come from the same area/ same day??

Comment

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                            Here is some good info on goat judging for those who have not seen it.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...ion_08Utah.pdf
                            Great link, lots of good info.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X