Click image for larger version

Name:	P3160016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	2509424Click image for larger version

Name:	P3160013.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2509423Well, after 11 years in Alaska, and a few failed attempts at wolves, I finally connected. We were out shed antler hunting and I was sitting on a small hill glassing several caribou, some moose, and the surrounding ground for any glimmer of sunlight bouncing off an antler. Movement from my left and down the hill caught my eye and I threw my glasses back up to see a wolf walking through the small pass. My heart immediately did a flip flop as I realized that this opportunity was likely going to break my long dry spell. He was about 175 yds. away, so I grabbed my .222. I was like a kid on his 1st animal, breathing hard and shaking, but I got him in my crosshairs and pulled the trigger. He dropped but sat back up, I knew it wasn't going far so I got a little closer and finished him with my .22 because I had never shot an animal with my .222 and didn't know what kind of pelt damage it would do. Dang, I was shaking like a leaf when I walked up to him. It was incredible. Then I noticed something. He only had 3 feet. One of his back feet was gone about 2 inches below the hock. It wasn't a smoking fresh wound, but was from early this trapping season I would guess. He was healthy and fat, so he was getting a long. He was 6 1/2' from nose to tail and weighed over 100 lbs. though I didn't weigh him. I also found 4 caribou sheds, and my buddy found 2 nice ones as well as a huge skull of one. Even after killing a wolf I was a little jealous of him. I'm guessing it would score close to 400 B&C points and is in perfect condition. We left the truck at -10 and got back at +20, it was a perfect day. I guess the good Lord got tired of seeing me fail so he put a cripple in front me and said, "here, see what you can do with that."...I'll take it.

A couple more pix

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3160014.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	2478807Click image for larger version

Name:	P3160018.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2478806

Comment

That's awesome! I'm a little jealous.
      sigpic

Comment

Congratulations GOATY!,
        Killing a 100 pound wolf is sensational, something you will remember for the rest of your life!!
        I admire your good fortune and shooting skills under the pressure.
        Everytime a 100 pound wolf gets dead and harvested, Alaska gets a little bit better.
        So will it be a rug or a life-size mount?

AlaskaTrueAdventure/Dennis
        Imagine (It's easy if you try)
        …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
        (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

Comment

Very nice! Interesting animal to take also with the old injury. And dang, that was a nice caribou! I'd still take your day though. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Holy shoot! That is big time. Excellent description of the events, I felt like I was there. I have a feeling god had a big ol' smile on his face...
            "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

I'm going for a rug. I thought it would be pretty cool having 3 good legs and one stumpy.

Comment

That is a big ol' wolf!!!! Congrats, and enjoy it!!!
                Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Comment

beauty of a dog there goaty...that last line made me grin. lots of alaskan hunters out there without a wolf on the wall. good job.

Comment

Thats a beautiful wolf for sure.Bet a trapper has a foot and saying dang.
                    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Man, reading that just made my morning. I remember a handful of times feeling that same kind of excitement that you explained, and those are moments I'll treasure forever. Congratulations, sir, and thank you so much for sharing that with us.

Comment

congratulations on the wolf & the antlers!!

Comment

Originally posted by ninefoot View Post
                          lots of alaskan hunters out there without a wolf on the wall.
                          That's me. This story reminds me of the one opportunity I had at a wolf, got all excided, chambered a round, flipped the scope caps, and as I brought the rifle to shoulder I exhailed into the scope, fogging it up. By the time I got it cleaned where I could see thru it, the wolf was gone. Oh well, maybe next time. Congrats, and thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by AK Troutbum View Post
                            That's me. This story reminds me of the one opportunity I had at a wolf, got all excided, chambered a round, flipped the scope caps, and as I brought the rifle to shoulder I exhailed into the scope, fogging it up. By the time I got it cleaned where I could see thru it, the wolf was gone. Oh well, maybe next time. Congrats, and thanks for posting.
                            lol, yeah man, they just dont hold still very often.

wolf and wolverine, hands down the two hardest game animals to collect using hunting methods in our state (including calling) that i am aware of...a good hunter can spend LOTS of time in the field and still only have a handfull of experiences with either (when compared to other species)...taking advantage of opportunity is what its all about, as goaty proved here...but as always, thats only my opinion and observations

Comment

Congrats Goaty!

You should forward a copy of the second pic to Pricilla Feral. The sight of you giving that wolf a big hug like that will make her day!
                              If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X