Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lake or float hunt??

Going on a unguided hunt for moose.
    Not sure weather we should do a float or a lake hunt with a small boat?
    It would be our first hunt in Alaska.
    Would be hunting for moose (and hopefully a chance at a passing caribou??)
    We would be renting most of gear once we get to Alaska.

Thanks for any advice

I liked the lake hunt .Could be a longer pack but you will not be unpacking and packing camp all the time.Do you have an area picked out?Transporter? I could tell you a good lake 1 out of 3 will shoot a bull ,If you know what your doing you can score better.Where do you live in montana?

Comment

Don't have an area picked out yet, I live 60 miles west of Billings.

Comment

check into papa bear adventures lake drops or floats

Comment

I suggest a lake hunt unless you are an experienced rafter. talk to the transporters, they will be able to give you good advice
          Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

East of big timber? Nice deer hunting .Hunted western Montana over a dozen times.

Comment

ultramag3:

If you do extensive float hunt planning I think you would not have a problem at all. When we (4 of us who had zero rafting experience) decided to do a float hunt for moose and caribou last fall we heard some of the same thing about needing some experience first. We decided to get our experience on the river. We picked our river with a class 1-2 rating and had a terrific time. We were glad we did it and would do it again.

Check out our trip in the float hunt thread for more info.

Good luck.
              Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

We have floated several times here in Montana, fishing etc. But not with real heavy loads or in remote locations.

Comment

Read Mike straham's book "float hunting alaska wild rivers" and then make the decision. It's available through this web site.
                  Semper Fi and God Bless

Comment

ultramag,
                    i second tom's opinion there is alot of great info in mike's book. i know what you are going thru because we went back and forth for months trying to decide which one. a common theme we heard was it is very hard on a float hunt not to focus on what might be around the next bend and by the time you see it is to late to go back. however our decision came down to one thing meat care. if we killed early in the hunt we didn't want to have to move that big sucker in and out of the boat every day. one thing we heard over and over from every successful hunter was that packing an alaskan/yukon moose is something you will never forget. some actually told us after they killed 1 their partners didn't even want to hunt anymore.
                    i do think it is realistic that y'all could kill 2 moose on a lake hunt. although if your looking for 2 55"+ bulls i think that will be tough.
                    a float hunt on a wilderness alaskan river is definitely on my bucket list but it will be for caribou. good luck with your decision and hunt.

Comment

I highly recommend Joe Shuster w/Sportsman's Air Service. He runs self-guided/guided float trips in a few areas. Super nice guy and has it together.
                      Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Comment

I got the "float hunting alaska's wild rivers book" hopefully that will help us with our decision.

Comment

One thing that you didn't mention is time. Are you looking at this year? If so you are running short of time. I know that sound crazy but you will learn that. Charter services are filling up NOW and you will need to make some decisions and make reservations soon. You could DIY or you could hire Mike for his hunt consultation services. It's not required but for your first trip it would be a good idea.

One other thing is to spend the next week reading for hours past treads. You can learn alot. Just use the search function and read read read. Best of luck.
                          Semper Fi and God Bless

Comment

planning for a hunt in 2013

Comment

Two video you must watch legal bulls [AF&G]and calling [Thunder something]
                              Worth the money then some.
                              Look at fresh water adventure's web site out of dillingham.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X