Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.257 wby mag for Ak goat and sheep? Help a southpaw...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .257 wby mag for Ak goat and sheep? Help a southpaw...

Okay, after 25 years of cheap arse improvising I'm looking for my first left handed rifle.
    I'd like a high quality, all-weather lightweight mountain gun at a reasonable ($1200-1500+/-) cost and it has become painfully obvious that very few companies offer these mountain guns in left handed actions. What's up with that?! If Tikka can do it, why can't others?
    Right now it looks like the Weatherby Mark V ultra lightweight is the answer. I had a righty in .30-06 I got in a trade; I loved the build quality and action on that gun, but it was a righty and I sold it.
    WBY offers only two LH loads in their ultra lightweight six pounder: .257 wby mag and .300 wby mag. I have no clue why they won't offer .30-06, .308 etc, other than they want to sell factory ammo.
    I'd like less recoil and I do have my trusty .300wm ruger righty for moose, bear etc. so it looks like the .257 is my choice. I can buy a new one reasonably.
    Aside from ammo cost, the .257 looks like a great load with bullet choices between 87 grain (varmint) and up to 120 grain with wicked fps speeds of 3800 to 3400 respectively.
    I'm wondering who has used one for sheep and/or goat?
    Will it without a doubt do the job? I know the obvious bullet placement thinking, I just want to believe that it is enough gun for my upcoming AK goat hunt. This could be an all-weather rife for my yearly high country deer and occasional elk hunts here as well...
    Appreciate all thoughts....
    Proud to be an American!

I just watched a sheep hunting vid where they killed 6 or 7 with the 257 wby. They all died a good death. The ballistics are incredible on that cartridge, more mountain laser than mountain rifle...

Comment

Frank, I shot a .257 Ackley Improved exclusively for a number of years and killed everything with it. Lost it to the river. Couldn't afford to replace it. I'm confident the .257 Wby is enough for what you want to do with it.

IIRC, I shot the 100 and 117grain partitions most of the time, don't think nosler had a partition in 120 back then. Still have dies etc. If you go that route, let me know, may still have a bunch of .257 bullets we could swap for.
      Mark Richards
      www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

You will definately like it! I've been running mine for 30 years. Will also be an awesome caribou and black bear rifle. It will take down a moose as well....it might pizz off a big griz tho.

Comment

I was just looking at this caliber in a Kimber. Another good choice to consider in your price range.
          "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Comment

Frank,

My sheep hunting partner has a Weatherby .257. It is a BAD *SS cartridge! I've been seriously thinking about going that route. Seriously flat shooting and very accurate.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the great input, guys. Good stuff.
              I've never been one for 'less popular' rounds, but this really sounds like one great cartridge.

Roger, Kimber makes a fine rifle, but doesn't make a LH lightweight--put 'em on the long list.
              Proud to be an American!

Comment

Frank, the .257Wby was reportedly Roy Weatherby's favorite cartridge- he claimed a killing power substantially out of proportion to it's recoil level. He even went so far as to kill a few things very much out of its league...like a Cape Buffalo.

The single animal I've witnessed shot with a .257Wby was a whitetail- it went down like it was pole-axed.
                "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

My buddy just got the 270 win in the accumark v, I was just on the weatherby site, the 270 win in the Accumark is lighter than the .257. What am I missing?
                  But his is a sweet gun, if you can compare them I'd recommend it.
                  sigpic

Comment

T'would be nice, HnB, but....The .270 is not available in LH in any Weatherby configuration.
                    And it is 7 1/4 lbs in the RH accumark ...the .257wby mag ultra light is 6 3/4 lbs. (8 3/4 lbs. in Accumark)
                    Proud to be an American!

Comment

Last time I was in Great N. Guns, they had one of the ultra light weatherby in 300 whby mag ~ left handed version.

I sure wish Browning would make the mountain ti in lefty.
                      In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Originally posted by fullkurl View Post
                        T'would be nice, HnB, but....The .270 is not available in LH in any Weatherby configuration.
                        And it is 7 1/4 lbs in the RH accumark ...the .257wby mag ultra light is 6 3/4 lbs. (8 3/4 lbs. in Accumark)
                        Sorry about the left hand, I would have thought both model's offered it. Either way they are nice guns.
                        Is the light weight also made in the U.S.A ? I know the Accumark is... just curious
                        sigpic

Comment

I think the only issue is finding a model of your desire, the cartridge is a fine choice for what you intend and more. I have not looked into the cost of components for some time now, but I think you may be able to build a rather nice rifle for that price including a premium barrel and stock. It may worthwhile to look into that, or a barreled action and stock.

Comment

I like loading up and shooting my 25-06. It's deadly on goat without an issue. I'm only getting a few hundred less fps than that weatherby round. I like 120g Nosler Partitions but 110 Accubonds are more accurate in my iron. Don't hesitate on the round, it's gonna work fine.

Comment

I hunted with a couple of guys who love the .257 Wby. I watched them shoot big Wyoming mulies and a couple of Colorado elk with them. I was impressed. I would like to have one myself.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X