Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackpowder
    replied
    I too got a letter in the mail today...was probably in route since we have been having weather issues and not getting mail. Tried the link to the map...would not connect... found it at the following:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/dm766.pdf

Looks like ther will be several of us looking for access come November...

Leave a comment:

• ramdap
    replied
    Curious who the transporters are? Weighing my otions. Wouldn't think any pilots would commit this early that time of year?

Tried accessing this area several times before without much luck. Once from the Parks Highway, Rex Trail mid Novembe and once from Birch Lake,Tanana River at high water which was an interesting experience! November should creat entirely different beast, looking forward to the oppurtunity to try again. Not one to give up that easily. Hear there's some nice bulls!!

Leave a comment:

• squab
    replied
    Well, one thing i have found Tromping around this state over the years, is that people really dislike change.

Leave a comment:

• stid2677
    replied
    Originally posted by twodux View Post
    It could leave them liable if something wierd like stalking occured. Say Someone was hiding from a deranged ex and they found them through this list. In this day of identity theft, it isn't a good idea either.

The only reasonable reason I can come up with for them doing it is so that someone might see a name they recognize as a non res who is claiming residency and hopefully they would turn them in. But even that doesn't justify throwing people's addresses out there into internet land.
    One reason they do it is so all the transporters and land owners can contact and try to get your business. I already got two letters from transporters.

Leave a comment:

• twodux
    replied
    Originally posted by FamilyMan View Post
    There is no good reason that F&G has for posting everyone's addresses in the public, that applied for a hunting permit.es!

But, not a good reason, imo. But I'm just one guy. F&G should keep our personal info private, not public, I say. What say you?
    It could leave them liable if something wierd like stalking occured. Say Someone was hiding from a deranged ex and they found them through this list. In this day of identity theft, it isn't a good idea either.

The only reasonable reason I can come up with for them doing it is so that someone might see a name they recognize as a non res who is claiming residency and hopefully they would turn them in. But even that doesn't justify throwing people's addresses out there into internet land.

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    I second that

Originally posted by COtoAK View Post
    Maybe a letter to F&G requesting that they not post our addresses. Thank goodness mine's our PO Box.
    There is no good reason that F&G has for posting everyone's addresses in the public, that applied for a hunting permit. Likely (I'm guessing) the reason they do it is so that that don't get overwhelmed by people that would ask them for the info anyway, for the purposes of soliciting said people for guide services, gear, etc..... What a great mailing list to use for someone doing mass solicitation of outdoor goods/services!

But, not a good reason, imo. But I'm just one guy. F&G should keep our personal info private, not public, I say. What say you?

Leave a comment:

• COtoAK
    replied
    Originally posted by LuJon View Post
    6. Is what "reportable to fish and game"? Fish and feathers is the ones that posted the addresses for all to see beyond that they are not a law enforcement organization. How would they "monitor" the situation? A call to homeland security for a wire tap is probably out of their jurisdiction....
    Maybe a letter to F&G requesting that they not post our addresses. Thank goodness mine's our PO Box.

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    a bit tto much conspiracy theorists here?

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
    You are right that it is EXTREMELY CREEPY when someone tracks down your address and then mails you stuff!!!!
    While I have not seen the letter, I doubt it to be 'creepy" to send a letter to an address that was clearly posted on the internet.

Anyone that takes exception to such should not take exception to the person sending the letter, but to the public agency that made this personal information public info.

Leave a comment:

• LuJon
    replied
    Originally posted by COtoAK View Post
    Consider yourself blessed that you got drawn for that area. He's upset because he's upset. Don't get drawn into his cause for his upset. Think about it. He probably reproduced that letter and sent it to every single person that drew your same tag. Who has the time to do that anyway?? Someone who is rigid, has too much time on their hands, and has a little bit of a grudge against people who work for F&G and draw tags. Whatever. So be it. They work for Fish and Game and they draw tags, too. Boo hoo. They are people just like you and myself.

I think that I would be upset if someone sent me a letter like that. I wonder if there is a way to regenerate the listing for your draw tag and find out how many people did this guy really send this letter to? I suppose it wouldn't be hard to pull up that information, but depending on how many people drew for that area, the cost of postage might be a great deal. I don't know why someone would go to that extent to gain support in your draw tag area.

I wonder if it's reportable to Fish and Game so that they can monitor it?
    You are right that it is EXTREMELY CREEPY when someone tracks down your address and then mails you stuff!!!!

That said most of your other questions are pretty easy to deduce.

1 yes the listing is easy to reproduce, it was an excel file that was downloaded from the ADF&G website and had every winners address listed. Simple Excel sorting tools can make you all sorts of lists in about 2 minutes.

2. There were 75 tags given out for that hunt. I would hazard to guess he sent out 74 letters...

3. With printing technology these days it is easy to reproduce a letter numerous times. Just punch 74 into the "number of copies" field and there you go.

4. With modern software it would be pretty easy to copy the list of addresses from the excel document and automatically print address labels. Worst case you hand write them and really it is only 75 addresses to write. Well 74 since you probably don't need to send one to yourself.

5. Nothing wrong with a guy that cares about something looking to drum up support for it. If they moved the hunt boundary from what was posted in the supplement then I would expect them to provide an explanation.

6. Is what "reportable to fish and game"? Fish and feathers is the ones that posted the addresses for all to see beyond that they are not a law enforcement organization. How would they "monitor" the situation? A call to homeland security for a wire tap is probably out of their jurisdiction....

Leave a comment:

• twodux
    replied
    You have to admit tho, it is interesting Corey Rossi drew 4 tags this year.

Leave a comment:

• COtoAK
    replied
    Originally posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I get a letter today from a guy in fairbanks. The letter opens by congratulating me on winning a DM766 muzzleloader permit, which the area is east of the wood river.

For years the boundary has been a little west of the wood. In fact the supplement shows the boundary the way its been for years. But when you look online they changed it.

Anyway the guys is a little upset over the change and urges me to contact all the commisioners and the area biologist. he even points out the assistant commissioner even drew 4 tags this year including delta sheep. Also he is ticked that the original tag numbers for the area was supposed to be 40 but then they ended up awarding 75

I could care less really. I heard the best hunting is east of the wood any way. Should I help this guy stir the pot? Should I be ticked this guy tracked my address down and contacted me? Id like to know how he got my address.
    Consider yourself blessed that you got drawn for that area. He's upset because he's upset. Don't get drawn into his cause for his upset. Think about it. He probably reproduced that letter and sent it to every single person that drew your same tag. Who has the time to do that anyway?? Someone who is rigid, has too much time on their hands, and has a little bit of a grudge against people who work for F&G and draw tags. Whatever. So be it. They work for Fish and Game and they draw tags, too. Boo hoo. They are people just like you and myself.

I think that I would be upset if someone sent me a letter like that. I wonder if there is a way to regenerate the listing for your draw tag and find out how many people did this guy really send this letter to? I suppose it wouldn't be hard to pull up that information, but depending on how many people drew for that area, the cost of postage might be a great deal. I don't know why someone would go to that extent to gain support in your draw tag area.

I wonder if it's reportable to Fish and Game so that they can monitor it?

Leave a comment:

• mod elan
    replied
    Oh darn. Go ahead and stay at home guys. Looks like it's impossible.:nyanya:

And what supplement are you all looking at? I've got mine right here and knew from the beginning it was in a different area. The only surprise was the bump from 40 to 75 like it used to be. Not worried about it though. Oh well I'll see ya'll out there. Oh wait.... no I won't!

Hey jpost, congrats on drawing again!

Leave a comment:

• Truenorthed
    replied
    Originally posted by jpost View Post
    I just looked at the hunt area changes and that is BS! Here's the map: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/dm766.pdf

You can't access the hunt area from the Rex and like STID said I doubt you can cross the Tanana at "Stan the Mule Mans" place in November! What the heck, it's now an airplane hunt? I also got a letter from that feller in Fbks. I think I will call ADFG and give them my .2 cents. This is ridiculous, that tag appears useless given the dates and logistics now. Hmmmm.
    Anybody got a plane?

Leave a comment:

• jpost
    replied
    I just looked at the hunt area changes and that is BS! Here's the map: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/dm766.pdf

You can't access the hunt area from the Rex and like STID said I doubt you can cross the Tanana at "Stan the Mule Mans" place in November! What the heck, it's now an airplane hunt? I also got a letter from that feller in Fbks. I think I will call ADFG and give them my .2 cents. This is ridiculous, that tag appears useless given the dates and logistics now. Hmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• stid2677
    replied
    Mr Matt,

I have crossed the Tanana by the Mule Man's place and can say that I don't see that as a possibility until Jan or Feb. Like I said never been on the Rex but would be willing to give it the old college try. Planning and preparing is half the fun, enjoy it.

Good luck

Steve

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X