Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frazier Lake Kodiak

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Frazier Lake Kodiak

    has anyone here hunted from Frazier Lake, just want to know if hip boots are needed or is it dry enough to use your regular hunting boots?

  • #2
    I havent hunted it but have flown over it several times and saw LOTS of bears, your gonna have a great hunt, good luck!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Hip Boots + snowshoes
      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

      Comment


      • #4
        I've spent about 300 days at Frazer Lake and know the area well. It's not particularly swampy, but there are a lot of creeks you will need hip boots to cross. Snowshoes would be good as would an inflatable with motor. Some really nice bears have been taken near Frazer Lake over the years so be patient and plan to take the time needed to do this hunt right.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the info, I drew Dog Salmon creek area for next sping, my buddy drew Frazier for this fall, will snow shoes be needed for the fall hunt, I plan on taking them for my spring hunt

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by akhunter02 View Post
            Thanks for the info, I drew Dog Salmon creek area for next sping, my buddy drew Frazier for this fall, will snow shoes be needed for the fall hunt, I plan on taking them for my spring hunt
            Probably not likely to need snowshoes for a fall hunt. Frazer is a much better spring area than fall. For a fall hunt I would focus on the flats above Pinnell Creek. Should be a few deer and some goats around too.

            I like the east fork of Dog Salmon for a spring hunt.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              akhunter02...............Those are some big bears down there on Kodiak. You should at least take a 25-06. If you would like to pay my way I will gladly back you up with my 17 HMR. Just let me know.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hunted it for 10 days with a friend who drew the tag in the fall a couple of years ago. We spent a lot of time glassing and hiked into 5 separate valleys including Pinnell Creek. During that time we only came across two bear tracks and did not see a bear until we were flying out. There were goats along the north side of the between Pinnell and Frazier. Also saw a few deer. According to the biologist, the bears are pretty unpredictable in the fall, can be high, low or somewhere in between. I used a pair of Muck boots that worked great. For the fall hunt, I would get in there on the opener. A guide normally operates in there the first week and he took a Booner just prior to our arrival.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You will need hippers to get out of the floatplane. We didn't use them much at all after that. I used some tall Schnees with liners and my bud had rubber muck boots with liners. It's nice to have removable and extra liners to dry out at night. We packed the snowshoes everyday and wore them often. Have FUN! Here's an old thread:
                  http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ess?highlight=

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I did this hunt last fall. The earlier you go the better. The bears were hard to find later on in the year. If you need any info PM me and I would love to help. Here is the story I posted last fall.

                    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...010?highlight=

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by slickwilly30 View Post
                      I did this hunt last fall. The earlier you go the better. The bears were hard to find later on in the year. If you need any info PM me and I would love to help. Here is the story I posted last fall.

                      http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...010?highlight=
                      That is correct - early in the fall is best for Frazer. No salmon enter Frazer Lake after mid-August or so. Bears will still be scrounging up the remains of sockeye up Pinnell Creek and that is a good travel corridor to other drainages. There is good denning habitat around Frazer as well.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i am going in to Frazier lake in kodiak the week of 4 october, hunting out of the north cabin for deer. any suggestions on where to begin? two massachusetts military veterans celebrating our birthdays and my brothers return from afghanistan. i was think the ridgelines north of red lake. any help would be much appreciated. we will also have an inflatable


                        Originally posted by Chisana View Post
                        I've spent about 300 days at Frazer Lake and know the area well. It's not particularly swampy, but there are a lot of creeks you will need hip boots to cross. Snowshoes would be good as would an inflatable with motor. Some really nice bears have been taken near Frazer Lake over the years so be patient and plan to take the time needed to do this hunt right.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've killed more deer on the southwest side of the lake than anywhere else. I think the west side of the lake is easier to hunt, but there are deer on all of the mountains surrounding Frazer Lake.


                          Originally posted by sardog55mark View Post
                          i am going in to Frazier lake in kodiak the week of 4 october, hunting out of the north cabin for deer. any suggestions on where to begin? two massachusetts military veterans celebrating our birthdays and my brothers return from afghanistan. i was think the ridgelines north of red lake. any help would be much appreciated. we will also have an inflatable
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            well thank you for the reply sir. I will post some pics when i get back. i spoke with my friend who is a kodiak deer biologist and he said the karluk region has exploded with deer population. so i am thinking of hunting the ridgeline between karluk and frazier. we were going to hunt very southern portion of kodiak island but i prefer a base camp with some wooden walls to come back to and dry out. thanks again

                            Comment

                            Footer Adsense

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X