No announcement yet.

PWS Spring Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PWS spring bear hunt is always the highlight of my year. We do well out there every year and I realy enjoy taking friens of family members out that want to but have not had a chance to take a black bear. The meat is great I will usualy just make it all into sausage because you do have to cook it well done and I think thats the worst thing a person can do to a good steak!

One thing we also do is make sure you bring rubber gloves for use while field dressing incase you have any open cuts or sores on your hands and bring a bottle of peroxcide to wash any cuts that may happen durring dressing because you can get trichinosis this way as well.

Good luck out there and don't forget the shrimp pots!

Comment

Russ Knight teaches a 2-hour bear skinning class at the Sportsman's Show every year. Great opportunity to see slides, talk to a taxidermist, and ask all your questions. He talks about where to make cuts, what knives to use, salting, whether to remove knuckles, turn ears, split lips, etc. I recommend it, even my wife (fiance at the time) walked out of the class saying "I could do that, I wanna go kill a bear." Score!

Comment

I recommend gloves as well, they have saved me more than a few cuts. Even a small nick can allow for infection. I'm not sure you can get trichinosis from skinning, However you can get a condition also known as "seal finger" and a few on the forum have had it. Very nasty stuff so be careful. I find a roofing blade in a utility knife to be awesome for making the long cuts. Be careful when making your long cuts to avoid the "ghetto booty look" that happens when you cut the back legs too far forward. It will make your rug look like it has a big booty. Try to avoid leaving your kill unattended as the eagles will strip a carcass in no time.

Make sure to leave proof of sex on the hide.

Havlon and Cutco knives make the skinning a breeze.

Good Luck

Steve
        "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Wow Steve, another great idea. I'm going to have to drop by Lowes and pick one up.

Thanks Bullelkkr, JakeAK49 and Mort for the advice and excitement. I've forgotten all about the draw now and I'm stoked to get out bear hunting. Can't wait for spring to get here. Awesome source of info here so thanks again to everyone time.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
            I recommend gloves as well, they have saved me more than a few cuts. Even a small nick can allow for infection. I'm not sure you can get trichinosis from skinning, However you can get a condition also known as "seal finger" and a few on the forum have had it. Very nasty stuff so be careful. I find a roofing blade in a utility knife to be awesome for making the long cuts. Be careful when making your long cuts to avoid the "ghetto booty look" that happens when you cut the back legs too far forward. It will make your rug look like it has a big booty. Try to avoid leaving your kill unattended as the eagles will strip a carcass in no time.

Make sure to leave proof of sex on the hide.

Havlon and Cutco knives make the skinning a breeze.

Good Luck

Steve
            Looks like you are right Steve I was told you could get trichinosis from blood contact in an open cut but looks like its only from ingesting undercooked meat. I will stick with the gloves though seal finger don't sound too plesant. Thanks for the info

Comment

There are some really big bears out in mid to late May. Not lots of bears that time but most of them are just bruisers. I killed a nice one on the 18th of last year by just sitting on the beach in a secluded, quiet bay for a few hours. There was lots of sign around and I'd seen a few bears in there the night before. Low and behold out stepped a fat blackie at 50 yards. Gave him the .375 Ruger treatment and I'm awaiting the rug to get finished right now. Did not square him out but he is well over 6'.
              "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X