No announcement yet.

Rifle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the .30-'06 will do everything you ask it to and more. no hesitation hunting coastal brown bears with it for me. the .30-.30 worked over its fair share of kodiak bears back in the day. if i had one gun in the safe and didn't back clients up, it'd be either a '06, 300 win or .338 win.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by yukon254 View Post
      338 I am recoil sensitive, probably more so than most. I also like heavy bullets and have no problem with a 45/70. A 338 federal DOES shoot 225 grain bullets. I loaded some last spring, before I had a chronograph so dont know the velocity but they were very accurate.
      I agree with the above statements. The 375 is more tolerable (for me) than 338s. Granted my 338 has a muzzlebreak on it, but others I have shot with the same stock as my 338 have proven to be quite a wallop. I actually like my shoulder and don't enjoy a mule kick to my shoulder so I will stay away from the RUMs

IMO there is no better excuse to buy a 375 than drawing a bear tag. Heck I just applied for Kodiak brown bear and justified my need for one If I could do it all over again I would have gone with the 375 for all my wheeler and bear hunting and my 308 for all my backpack hunting for sheep, goats, caribou, and black bears. I would have skipped the 338 all together. That said if I could just have one rifle it would be in 338 over the other two and that was my thought back then, but I found that rifles tend to reproduce in my safe and before you know it you have more than just one go to rifle. Good luck in your search.

Comment

I would take the -06 because if your range for bullets. You could hunt 'bou's with 150 grainers, or you could hunt grizzlies with 220's. The advantage to a '06 has mild recoil, they are WAY cheaper than 300's or 338's ammo wise, they are REALLY common they don't break you bank, and you can get them for cheaper so you can spend more on a scope.
        Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

I have fired 400-500 or so Barnes 225 grain bullets through my Browning BAR .338.
          with 76 grains H4831, it chronies at 3011fps.
          on the other hand the BAR recoil is NOTHING related to the above chart.
          It recoils far less on my shoulder than my .264 Win Mag, shooting a Sierra 100 grain pushed by 72 grains H4831 at 3721fps.

charts lists recoil of .338 (225) at 35.2; lists .264 (140) at 19.2....and I shoot 100 gr booolit
          just sayin....

The BAR action reduces recoil by a HUGE margin.

Comment

had a client with a BAR 338 on kodiak for bear, jammed four times in a row...basicly the elements turned it into a single shot.
            now is where i hear "shot it tons never had a problem"...thats the same thing he said when it jammed.
            Www.blackriverhunting.com
            Master guide 212

Comment

Quality guns hold their value, buy a 375 H&H for you bear hunt, take care of it and sell it after your hunt if money is an issue. It has been said over and over, that killing a big bear and stopping one are two different things. It only took one close encounter to bring me over to the big bore camp.

My go to rifle is a 325WSM and I have taken most Alaskan game with it to include Grizzly, however my 375 H&H will be going to Kodiak this year. I own a 30-06 and would hunt anything in Alaska with it except big bears.

When it comes to big coastal bears I'm in the shock and awe camp, get close, shoot straight and repeat as necessary. Once it is all over shoot once more to make sure. It will only take one time to have to go into the alders after one to change your thinking, or worst yet have a wounded one get away to suffer or possibly hurt someone.

Same goes for your Caribou hunt, buy a used quality rifle and take care of and it will sell for what you have in it or just use the 375 if you don't mind the extra weight. Besides can you really have too many guns????

Congrats on the tags and enjoy this part of getting ready for the hunts, it can be very rewarding.

Foreplay is just as important as the happy ending! Just consider this hunting foreplay and enjoy the entire experience.

Steve
              "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! Y'all have definitely given me some directions to look harder at. Once I decide, I'll be sure to let y'all know.

Comment

If your wife ask why you need another rifle show her this photo, worked for me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                    had a client with a BAR 338 on kodiak for bear, jammed four times in a row...basicly the elements turned it into a single shot.
                    now is where i hear "shot it tons never had a problem"...thats the same thing he said when it jammed.
                    i agree one hundred percent and have absolutely zero tolerance for autos of any kind where bears and harsh elements are considered. i've seen it as well, in both bars and remingtons (jams) and have no use for them.

lots of good considerations here, the only thing i'll add is that if you choose the lesser calibers for bears: load the gun accordingly...ie: 220 grains in a bonded bullet for the 30's. have fun. jake nailed it on his first post, and i wouldnt have a problem carrying an 06 around stoked with the right loads...but i wont. i've got bear guns.

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                      If your wife ask why you need another rifle show her this photo, worked for me!!!!

That may have worked for you Steve, but my wife would more likely decide that we didn't need a bear hide any more.

BTW, is there a story to go with the pic?
                      Use of product voids warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Yagonyonok View Post
                        That may have worked for you Steve, but my wife would more likely decide that we didn't need a bear hide any more.

BTW, is there a story to go with the pic?
                        Don't want to hijack his thread, but this photo has made the rounds on the forum a few times and really speaks to me. I have tried to research it and have came up empty handed and know only what was posted on here. There was a thread on it recently and someone mentioned that the hunter and his wife had a spat and he went bear hunting and never returned. The guide in the photo and a client found what you see in the photo.

However, for me the pictures alone speaks volumes.....This photo and a close encounter changed my way of thinking.

Be safe

Steve

Comment

Pretty sure it was a "Staged" photo by P&T. For reasons unknown...

Comment

Since you are used to shooting with iron sights.. I'd get a 30-06 and a stack of blue box ammo. Hit the range often for the next year, and take it caribou hunting to get very familiar with the rifle. When it comes time for your big brown bear hunt, invest in some high quality 180gr ammo (tbbc, a-frame, tsx) and don't worry about not having enough gun.
                            Alaska Wide Open Charters
                            www.alaskawideopen.com
                            907-965-0130

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                              I am the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamerofdreams View Post
                                I am the wife.
                                Well, that does change things a bit. I don't think my wife could handle the weight and recoil of the 375. I would go with the 30-06 for you and have your backup use the larger 375. I'm not afraid to admit that I like having a backup with me when in close to big bears.

I like having a plan "B" other than just hoping plan "A" works. Especialy if it means I might get chewed on.

Be safe

Steve

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X