Rifle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Question

Well, now that the draw's out, looks like I need a new gun.

Currently, I have a 30-30 with iron sights. I drew DC481 and also DB 257. Obviously I'm not going to use the 30-30 on a brownie!

I don't really want to buy two new guns, so I see a couple of options.

1. Buy a 30.06 and use it on both. It's on the light side for the bear, but I'm also pretty small...
    2. Trick out my 30-30 with a scope for the 'bou and get something bigger for the bear.
    3. Something else that I haven't thought of, but you have!

If it were you, which way would you go?

Ain't nothing wrong with shooting a 'bou with a .338... it'll do the trick I bet. Lot of one gun hunters are using a .338 or .300 for both those species with good results
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Door number 1. 30-06 is the Alaskan do all caliber. I am in the market also, if anyone has an extra layin' around collectin' dust.
      FWIW, I don't have magnum fever, and some are gonna say you need no less than an ultra mag for brownies. To each their own.
      "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

I would buy the 30-06, scope it, and use loads with 180 grain bullets.

I think you don't need anything bigger than a 30-06 for the grizzly.

Midwayusa has a sale on Bushell Elite 3200 3X9 scopes.

Smitty of the North
        Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
        Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
        You can't out-give God.

Comment

You could also get a heavier CZ 550 375 HH or a Browning Abolt 375 HH with a muzzle break and load up to it. A very heavy 375HH has more of a shotgun push and the ABolt with a muzzle break is very doable if you get very good hearing protection. It might kick less then an ultralight 06.

Sincerely,
          Thomas

Comment

After much research and loading data and balistic reviews, I am personally going to buy a 338 win mag. plenty of knock down not to much kick and in comparisonto the 338 RUM or the 375 H&H or many of the other large magnums, the 338 will not break the bank our your shoulder and still provide devistating down range energy. Aslo if hand leaded can be loaded with anywhere from a low 100 grain to 250 grain bullet.

Comment

I have both the 300 win mag and the 300 RUM and have taken brownies, moose, blacks and caribou with both. I think I would go with the 300 win mag though if you are not that big of a guy. A lot of people like the 30-06 but it has almost the same exact recoil as the 300 win but you get just a little more out of the 300. I personaly like the ultra because its flatter shooting and you can get a little extra range out of it, but the down side of the ultra is it kicks the heck out of you. I had it muzzle broke and now my wife can shoot it just fine but it is loud as hell. There are plenty of bullet choices for the 30 cal if you hand load you can get a 220grn for the brownie and drop to a 160 or so for the bou.
              Another option is the 300 short mag balistics wise it is in between the 300 win and the ultra but unless you hand load the bullet selection is a little slimmer, and finding bullets is not as easy as they are for the -06 or the 300. Either way you cant go wrong with a 30-06 or a 300.

Good luck on both your hunts congrads on the draw I am hoping for better luck next year but I still have lots to hunt without the bonus tags.

Comment

In my experience the .338 WM kicks harder(sharper) than the .375 H&H.. I have both, built to almost the same specs, and I prefer the recoil of the .375 H&H.. I've shot both ALOT. Now, UM's are whole different ball game!

I'm in the process of building a "lightweight" .300 Wby (no brake). It's gonna be a handful!!

Comment

Check out this recoil table by Chuck Hawks. Interesting to see the scientific data behind the recoil debate.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Comment

You might want to look at the 338 federal. Very light recoil,yet shoots the same bullet as the 338 winchester. Shoots flat and is easy on powder. I have used one for a few years now and love it. This table gives you an idea of this calibers merits... 7mm Rem Mag..175-grain, TKO 20.3, 3180 ft-lbs, 2860 fps
                    - 338 Win Mag.......200-grain, TKO 28.5, 3866 ft-lbs, 2950 fps
                    - 30-06 Spg............180-grain, TKO 21.4, 2915 ft-lbs, 2700 fps
                    - 30-06 Spg............200-grain, TKO 23.1, 3060 ft-lbs, 2625 fps
                    - 308 Win................180-grain, TKO 21.7, 2743 ft-lbs, 2620 fps
                    - 308 Win................200-grain, TKO 21.7, 2690 ft-lbs, 2461 fps
                    - 338 Federal.........180-grain, TKO 24.6, 3200 ft-lbs, 2830 fps
                    - 338 Federal.........210-grain, TKO 26.7, 3224 ft-lbs, 2630 fps
                    (TKO and energy at muzzle) The 338 W with a 200 grn bullet is 2950 vs the federal with a 210 grn bullet at 2630 a measly 300 FPS difference with a LOT less recoil and powder!

Comment

I love the .30-06', I own a few of them, but taking one with the intention of hunting coastal brown bears is where I draw the line (presumably your DB257 is such a tag). I suggest the .338WM loaded with 225 or 250 grain Premium bullet for the task, IMO it the best "one rifle caliber" for all of North America, of course that gets debated frequently around here.

Comment

338 speaking strictly from a ballistic point of view you are probably right, although if you take a real close honest look at the ballistics of some other calibers (like the Federal) you will see the advantage in real world hunting situations is negligible. If you then look at the recoil and powder consumption of the 338 W it is even less appealing. I got a good deal on a Remington 700 left hand version a number of years ago and did a fair amount of hunting with it, but the recoil bothered me. I traded it off for a BLR in 358 winchester and I am of the firm opinion that out to 250 yards it puts critters down with more authority. The federal round is even better at the longer ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by yukon254 View Post
                          338 speaking strictly from a ballistic point of view you are probably right, although if you take a real close honest look at the ballistics of some other calibers (like the Federal) you will see the advantage in real world hunting situations is negligible. If you then look at the recoil and powder consumption of the 338 W it is even less appealing. I got a good deal on a Remington 700 left hand version a number of years ago and did a fair amount of hunting with it, but the recoil bothered me. I traded it off for a BLR in 358 winchester and I am of the firm opinion that out to 250 yards it puts critters down with more authority. The federal round is even better at the longer ranges.
                          Recoil tolerance is a personal perspective that no one can argue, in my case, the worst experience with recoil I have had was from a .300WM, the recoil velocity of that round is uncomfortable, some/many like you I imagine, feel that way about the .338WM though I am not bothered by it, and I find the .375HH even easier to shoot. Generaly speaking, the larger the bore the less recoil velocity, the greater ft/lbs of recoil. As for the .338 caliber or any caliber for that matter, I tend to favor heavy for caliber bullets as I am a fan of momentum.

Comparing the .338Fed to the .338WM with a 200 and 210 grn pill respectively they are very close, put a 225grn pill in the mix (which a Fed does not shoot) and the energy at the muzzle in the WM is 700ft/lbs+,20+%greater, and at 300yds still more than 400ft/lbs ,25% greater than the Fed capability and nearly identical to a 250grn pill in the WM.

That being said, I agree the .338Fed would be a reasonable choice. Had the .338Fed been developed 18 years ago when I purchased the WM, I may have opted for it instead.

Comment

338 I am recoil sensitive, probably more so than most. I also like heavy bullets and have no problem with a 45/70. A 338 federal DOES shoot 225 grain bullets. I loaded some last spring, before I had a chronograph so dont know the velocity but they were very accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by yukon254 View Post
                              338 I am recoil sensitive, probably more so than most. I also like heavy bullets and have no problem with a 45/70. A 338 federal DOES shoot 225 grain bullets. I loaded some last spring, before I had a chronograph so dont know the velocity but they were very accurate.
                              Good to know about the 225grn bullet, I had not seen that on tables I have looked at. I will have to look further and satisfy my couriosity about that load.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X