Is this sheep legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this sheep legal?

Hi all. I posted a picture of a ram here: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/~pcotter/P5301103.JPG for you all to take a look at and let me know if you think this is legal under the full curl definition. I have yet to actually shoot a ram although I have passed up a couple that were really similar to this guy. Thanks in advance!

Nope

Doesn't look legal. It looks close, but not legal. It appears to be an eliptical (oval) circle instead of a round circle. Don't take it from me though, I've only sheep hunted once and didn't get anything! I'll be out there again this year though.

Tim

Comment

I'd pass on this one. Letting a nice ram like this walk away is always tough to do, but it's not worth the risk. From my working knowledge of full-curl regulations, he seems to be just short (not 360 degrees, and just barely short of the tip coming up to the base.) Furthermore, although I don't think I'd ever shoot a sheep based on rings, he seems to only have 6-7 definite annuli. Let him grow for another year.

-Brian

Comment

close call

The photo is too blurry to accurately count annuli. I think this ram would get a green tag if you took him in to be sealed. Remember you have up to 1/2" of horn base that is covered by hair and is not visible right now but will be when you have him caped out.

On a related note, has anyone checked out the sheep sealing portion of the ADF&G web site recently? Looks like there has been a change (for the better) in interpretation of full curl since last year.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes..

if he was in the right unit, otherwise I would pass on him. If he is ina a full curl unit then I would be back there next year looking for him!

Comment

legal

yes, this ram is legal. with the cape off, the horn tips will meet the base.

Comment

absolutely legal.

Good points chisana and others, and the photo itself is somewhat skewed at an angle also. You can see the other curl and certainly if the view was absolutely straight on from the side one wouldnt see the other horn and the curl would 360* wrap.
              This ram would pass muster and he'd be in my game bag without hesitation.
              Too tough to count annuli in that photo, however.
              Frank
              Proud to be an American!

Comment

Good thoughts posted here, and even though I'd feel 90% confident that he's legal, I still wouldn't shoot. Mostly sure isn't good enough for me, nor is being sure that he'd be legal once the cape is off. Not worth the headache and worry...and besides, if I pass him up I get to keep hunting sheep, which after all is my favorite pursuit!

-Brian

Comment

Sheep

In years past I would have taken him with no questions asked. Somewhere along the line the old time ADF&G guys departed and the new breed don't seem to know what a full curl is. They use to just take a quick look. They did not measure because with a quick look the 7/8th curl would stand out. That being said, I would probably still take him. Jim

Comment

Looks like a 7/8 curl to me. Have to let him go.

AkBillyBow
                    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Comment

Based on this picture, at this angle, I would say no, let him go. Close but not 360 and not legal in a full curl area. It would be tough to do but ....

Comment

Chisana

"On a related note, has anyone checked out the sheep sealing portion of the ADF&G web site recently? Looks like there has been a change (for the better) in interpretation of full curl since last year."

What are the change's to the sheep sealing requirement? I didn't notice any change, maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Can you post a link to it?

Comment

Close

It doesn't look like a full curl to me, at least based on the pictures from the ADF&G website.

Tim
                          Attached Files

Comment

Full Curl

If it was me he'd be a dead sheep, at least if he let me get drawn back on him he would be... no hesitation.

Comment

tccak71...

Tim, if you notice in the first sketch you posted the horn is seen straight on from the side.
                              The picture in question is slightly from above and the front, This is why it looks a bit less than 360*. And as was mentioned a straight edge along the base edge (below the hair) would probably reveal a ram slightly PASSED full curl-albeit slightly, who knows, maybe a 1/4 inch or so?
                              I always give props to guys who pass on sheep for sake of certainty. We all know sheep are shot sublegal every year.
                              But I would add that MANY get passed over because guys have not studied them long enough to confidently know what dictates a legal ram. (Like the the one in the picture).
                              Regards, Frank
                              Proud to be an American!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X