No announcement yet.

Sharing My Elk Draw with Bear, on Raz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That valley on Raspberry is referred to as "Purgatory" by a few people I know... I will find out soon enough. The stuff on Kodiak here is down right atrocious to get through. Almost indescribable. I too have made the "well, it doesn't look THAT bad" mistake.
    TrappHouseOutdoors@HuntFishAK

Comment

This was better than reading my favorite hunting magazine! You should be paid to tell your stories. Thanks for the write-up, as I felt I was walking beside you in those wet Danner boots. Looking forward to your next hunt!

Comment

Thanks for be a hunter I salute you.Best modern story I have read
        Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

A huge congratulations on your solo elk. Got a good chuckle out of the Ketch rain and the pucker brush, almost felt like S.E.. Any guess on how many miles you put in solo? Way to go on pre hunt scouting and getting the job done!
          Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Comment

what a great writeup and photos. you have an interesting writing style that makes it all the better.

Comment

Great bull, congrats Rain!!

Comment

Awesome write up. I was locked on from start to finish. Great hunt!

Comment

You are one tuff S.O.B,soloing a elk and stealing some of your meat back,your a tougher man than me.That was one of the best reports this year and awsome pics to.That bull is a wall hanger,hopefully I can draw a tag one day.

Comment

A great saga! The pictures were superb as well.

Comment

Note to self: Leave Rasberry Island elk alone (and their bear buddies too). Fantastic write-up - you ought to submit that one for publication somewhere.

Comment

Missed this one last fall......KR that has to be one of the best write-ups i've read.....congrats on your hard earned success.....thanks for taking the time to write this up with the fanastic photo's also....

Comment

Very nice write up! Sounds like quite the adventure.

If you were going to do it over again, would you leave the boat in onion bay, or use it to run em down around the island?

I drew this year and am planning on heading down with my boat. Now to make a game plan!

Thanks for sharing your expierince!

Comment

Wow... thanks to Excav8tr for digging this one back out.. Great read, excellent photos..

Comment

Great write up KR!
                              Cool to see a successful AK Elk hunt. Kudos to you for the decisions you made.
                              Solid Hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesjq View Post
                                Very nice write up! Sounds like quite the adventure.

If you were going to do it over again, would you leave the boat in onion bay, or use it to run em down around the island?

I drew this year and am planning on heading down with my boat. Now to make a game plan!

Thanks for sharing your expierince!
                                Hey James, I just saw this now, wandering around old threads,....to answer your question,

without a doubt, I'd have stayed in Onion with the boat soundly anchored,
                                there just aren't good enough anchorages on the other sides of this island, in the shifting winds of Fall

Onion Bay, is very solid, you can leave the boat for the immense amount of packing trips,
                                potential overnights in the woods, etc. with peace of mind.

On the Raspberry Straits side, it's tempting, and I did a fair amount of work out of that side,
                                it's a Very Steep initial climb, off the get-go tho, and nearly too steep to bring heavy pack loads back down

It could be done, but the winds down Raspberry Straits, especially, if out of the North at all,
                                are just too intense and squirrelly for the little anchorages available

Don't spend toomuch time considering safely anchoring on the Shelikof side,....that's crazy country,...
                                maybe you could get dropped off there, or picked up with pack loads, but

there were other guys nearby as I finished my packing, that brought their Elk down to a Shelikof side beach,
                                and got blown off for a while, then totally had to risk their lives
                                between Bear traffic, and Surf Zone skiff landings to get it out of there later

Good Hunting to ya,....... it's an Exotic Hunting Field,.... you're gonna have a blast
                                Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X