Sharing My Elk Draw with Bear, on Raz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely fantastic!!!

I can't wait to get out there this weekend... Counting the hours now!!
    TrappHouseOutdoors@HuntFishAK

Comment

Great report, I've never lost meat to a bear but I've lost a bear hide to a bear, and a bear hide to a river felt bad about those but feel good knowing I did the most I could to protect it.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

heres a Question for all you kodiak hunters...

Has anyone ever carried mothballs to spread over the kill? we use them up here to keep bears out of camp with good success...
        "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

AWEsome

Wow! What a great read, thanks for writing in such detail and sharing with the forum! I felt like I was there with you, agonizing over the decisions and working through the hunt.

Thanks also for sharing your family with us, great to see the whole family involved in taking care of the bounty and giving thanks. Thise boys will be humping game out for you, and for themselves, in no time! I can remember the happy look on my Mom's face, when we came home with moose or caribou.

Comment

Congratulations on an epic hunt!

Now, some criticism:
            You had a brown bear who had claimed your property on a dead run at you and you spared his life!? Now that takes discipline! Good for you, but I may have done things a little differently, even if he would have to be surrendered to the state. Gotta think of that next hunter, you know! ;-))

Congratulations again, and thanks for sharing!

Taylor

Comment

Man, I heard a few weeks ago that you were successful out there on Rasperry, I've been waiting ever since for one of your fantastic reports!! Great job and a great looking Elk, congrats on your success!!!

Comment

Great write up and pictures - Thanks for taking the time and sharing the country and trip. I have wanted to hunt down in your area for quite some time.

Comment

KodiakRain,

Thanks for such a wonderfully written hunt. Becca and I read it together (we have some unexpected down time together as of late ) and thoroughly enjoyed the whole story. The amount of detail and pics are awesome. Looking at some of those pics the top of Raspberry Island is somewhat akin to Stonehenge.

Sorry our path's were not able to cross this go round, but Lord willing Becca and I will be back and would sure enjoy to meet up for a cup of coffee at the least.

Thanks again for such as wonderful story and pics.

Comment

Great story, & congrats on your trophy as it was well earned. I am envious on how you can use your boat & get to everything available on the islands down there without having to use an aircharter.
                    Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Taylor View Post
                      Now, some criticism:
                      You had a brown bear who had claimed your property on a dead run at you and you spared his life!? Now that takes discipline! Good for you, but I may have done things a little differently, even if he would have to be surrendered to the state. Gotta think of that next hunter, you know!
                      Taylor
                      Yeah that's not easy to explain even to myself, At the time, the decision seemed easy, "I have my share of this meat, a serious amount for the size of my family and even friends hungry for a taste of Elk, I'll let him have his....."

"As a long time resident of Kodiak and the Coast of the Peninsula I have a lot of respect for the Brown Bears, don't see them as marauding meat stealers or fawn killers, but the Original Residents of The Land down here.

So, in comparing to the value of an animal that was introduced to the Archipelago for the meat basically, both Elk and Deer, and knowing my freezer will be full this winter of both those animals as well as fish, to kill that Bear for the sake of diggin through the claimed meat for something to salvage....... I'd let him live again if in the same position."

Wasn't so easy the day after, when eyeing those 4ft long backstraps and especially the hindquarter I had (maybe 100lbs on bone gorgeous meat in that leg muscle alone) I was not so cool with letting him have so much. I talked with some other well experienced Elk and Bear hunters in the Bay I was anchored in and asking whether they thought maybe he would have just buried it all after eating that tremendous pile of entrails, etc. leaving at least that other hindquarter still salvageable (?)
                      they assured me there would be nothing left that hadn't been stomped on, covered in mud and pissed all over as he claimed it.

Then there's the part on property, as I understand it the State does not consider it my property at that point, can't kill a Bear as Defense of Life and Property over game meat so it is not mine until I have it in my hold on the boat, I guess? And he had charged but not to the point of threatening my life so, pretty sure I can't go blazing in there for "My Meat." and the idea of "Surrendering to the State" a Brown Bear, still means I have to skin and pack out that 80-100lbs of hide and skull only to give it to the state, and I imagine after filling out a bunch of paperwork and assuaging their suspicions........ Definitely not worth it to me.

Now if I'd had a tag? That was a Beautiful Bear thrashing around in the brush over "My Meat" not a question for a second, if that were the case, I'd be fleshing and salting and pretty happy about it too.

As for the next hunters, "Be Aware Boys," is one of the intentions of this thread, "Those Bears Still Own This Country"
                      We're just "Visiting" make no mistake about it.

Sorry MTrapper, no photos of Bear, not sure I could have even got my camera "turned on" in that amount of time, I later wished I could somehow show what that is like,

"It's an experience with Bear that all those shooting from boardwalks over Salmon streams have no conception of," should be required for a Bear photographer I think, like a Hazing thing maybe,
                      "Go in and photo a Bear on a fresh killsite,
                      then if you live we'll oohhh and awww over your other stuff."
                      Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Comment

Congrats on an awesome hunt...what a great write up...I hope to get back to kodiak for a couple hunts next year...been about 27 years since I was there in USCG...thanks again for sharing...

Comment

Well if we are voting on best line from the OP, I will go with this one:

Boom....... The Fed 215 LR Magnum Primer blasts into 62 grains of RL-17 powder and launches 160grains of John Nosler Genius at a speed of 3056fps....

Comment

Sounds like you will have a story for the rest of your life !!! Great hunt ,story and pictures .
                            How was leaving the guts in while butchering the Bull work out ???? I have tried it once on a Bull Caribou but ended up
                            removing the guts . I still need to learn that technique .
                            Thanks again and big congrats on a very fine Bull Elk.

RR
                            Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
                            Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Comment

I have to ask... How was it that night? knowing your meat was on the hill? when My daughter and I hit our GO time like you did... i fretted ALL NIGHT long... dreaming of wolf and bear, and mud slides... and was near sick by the time i got up at 5 am to ready for the day. with the reputation of that island and those bears i would ( personally) be hard pressed to not grab a bivy and sit it out that night.

If you had been able to bag it all up.. how far do you think you would have had to pack it to allow mr bear the gut and maybe leave the meat alone? they say that only 30% average is recovered what can a person do to get better success or is Elk hunting always going to be bear baiting?

I ask cause you know i want to draw one of those tags one year...
                              "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Congrats on an incredible hunt. I love the pictures and the story. The only thing you should have done different was to take me. I would have loved to be a part of that hunt.lol
                                I have to make it over there soon.
                                Thanks for sharing!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X