No announcement yet.

Sharing My Elk Draw with Bear, on Raz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabulous trophy and you lived to tell...great solo adventure with plenty for all of us to think on.
    Thanks for posting...
    Proud to be an American!

Comment

Thats an amazing hunt report! I have no comments and think you did everything right so stop beating yourself up about it. Murphy is always out there and anything can happen no matter how well one prepares for things. Its nice seeing you and your family enjoying that well earned elk meat! Love the pic of your boys with the antlers, hunters for sure.
      http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Great write up!
        Sounds like an awesome hunt and memories that will last a life time. Thanks for including the family in your story... the ones we love play such a big role in our success as hunters whether or not they are out in the field with us makes no difference. There's nothing in this world that works better to bring life into perspective and remind us as to what is truly important than venturing afield.

"Thankfulness pours out of my soul."

This is the best line in the whole thing really sums it up ....

glad you made it back in one piece!

Comment

Very well done sir, thanks for taking the time to right it up and stopping to take the pictures!

Comment

Wow, what a read that was!!!!

That was one heck of a story. You definitely earned that elk, nice to see the story from beginning to meat in the freezer end.
            Getting those boys involved is great. Soon you will have your little packers trained but be careful or they'll be out-shooting you dad.

Congratulations!

+1 if I could, but I have to spread it around some more.

Comment

RAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! out freaking standing dude!!!!!!! if i ever draw that tag i am calling YOU... as for socks... Bother if you can get some Seal skins... get them!! if not let me know i will send you some from here... at 40 bucks a pair they are WORTH IT>.. 1000% great write up brother...
              "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Originally posted by broncoformudv View Post
                Murphy is always out there and anything can happen no matter how well one prepares for things.
                Thanks bronco, that is the line I was looking for basically in "overhauling my decisions" not really beating myself up, just thinking aloud, the realities we all deal with. Giving the Whole Story, maybe to help others coming to the area in the future, etc.

and icb, Waterproof socks ? Tell me more...
                I do try stuff like this, that next morning I tore pcs off the space blanket and wrapped my dry feet/socks in that before reinserting them into the frozen Danners then cranked the laces tight. Probably not what you mean right? Kinda worked

as for the Danners, Akray I shouldn't really whack on them, they're second set I've owned after taking many years and miles to wear out a pair mostly in the Talkeetna woods. I'm impressed yours wrked well in Adak, and I actually believe they are simply the Best Boots out there. Just maybe not for Kodiak. These have that Goretex in 'em which I am not too big on, but I think the problem was I actually had to muck my way across Bog in the bottom of the valley enough that I literally had black water coming over the tops quite a bit. They still held my feet well but once that leather is wet, they're just wet, and cold

Thanks for comments folks

Oh yeah, King, I actually really enjoyed "Ketch Rain' when I lived there, and it is the most descriptive term at least for those who have lived there much, "Just nothing else like it when it really gets going"
                You know when it literally bends your head over as you walk, that sheets of water deal? Mmmm yea
                Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Comment

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by kodiakrain View Post
                    Thanks bronco, that is the line I was looking for basically in "overhauling my decisions" not really beating myself up, just thinking aloud, the realities we all deal with. Giving the Whole Story, maybe to help others coming to the area in the future, etc.

and icb, Waterproof socks ? Tell me more...
                    I do try stuff like this, that next morning I tore pcs off the space blanket and wrapped my dry feet/socks in that before reinserting them into the frozen Danners then cranked the laces tight. Probably not what you mean right? Kinda worked

as for the Danners, Akray I shouldn't really whack on them, they're second set I've owned after taking many years and miles to wear out a pair mostly in the Talkeetna woods. I'm impressed yours wrked well in Adak, and I actually believe they are simply the Best Boots out there. Just maybe not for Kodiak. These have that Goretex in 'em which I am not too big on, but I think the problem was I actually had to muck my way across Bog in the bottom of the valley enough that I literally had black water coming over the tops quite a bit. They still held my feet well but once that leather is wet, they're just wet, and cold

Thanks for comments folks

Oh yeah, King, I actually really enjoyed "Ketch Rain' when I lived there, and it is the most descriptive term at least for those who have lived there much, "Just nothing else like it when it really gets going"
                    You know when it literally bends your head over as you walk, that sheets of water deal? Mmmm yea
                    Rain man... here ya go... http://www.eangler.com/product/MP81110365msk.htm
                    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Originally posted by kodiakrain View Post
                      There's nothing like Ketch horizontal rain.
                      Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

Great story and write up Mr Al, I was hanging on each word. Could even feel your wet feet, been there too. It is always easier to look back and "Monday morning quarterback" however, it sounds like you learned a ton and are smarter for it.

Congrats on a great hunt, very well written and absolutely awesome photos. I would suggest that you save these stories, they will be precious to your boys one day. Check out http://www.smilebooks.com/ they make great photo books and you can include text. I have done a few of my hunts this way.

You should check out Rocky goretex socks, I use them on every hunt. Even the best leather boots will get wet sooner or later. I keep a pair of Rockys in my pack and when my boots get wet I just throw them on and my feet stay dry. With these and gaitors I can cross streams and walk through brush and keep my feet dry.
                        http://www.botachtactical.com/rocgorsoc.html

I have to say that it has been great to see you gather info from this site and to hone your skills with what you have picked up. Nice work on the reloading, it would appear that you have it dialed in.

Awesome Sir, well done...

Steve
                        "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Kodiakrain,

That was an outstanding read, Sir!

You have a way with words and did an incredible job of chronicling your hunt.

Great photos too and congrats on a great bull.

Now that is a hunting report!

Really, really enjoyable read.

Glad it all worked out and you made it back safe and sound.

A tip of the hat to you!

Chris

Comment

Man, what a great read! Thanks for sharing that. You really captured the intensity of the hunt, and as usual, your writing skills are only surpassed by the quality of your photos. Thank you!

On the note of meat care...not a criticism, but a question to help those who might do this hunt in the future (as this will be read and re-read for many years to come when draw results come out): Were there any trees in the area that would have been tall enough to hang meat bags from? I see some trees downhill from you in the photo showing the dead bull with the other elk in the background, but it doesn't look like they're tall enough to hang meat out of the reach of bears. What's the detail with those?

Comment

Good read, enjoyed it.
                              No pics of the bear or the mess he made?
                              I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                              I have less friends now!!

Comment

Most excellent!

I like your style very much.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X