Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Your "all around" AK hunting rifle-caliber?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by walk-in View Post
    I take "all-around Alaska hunting rifle" to mean out of the rifles I personally hunt with, which one is the best for the widest variety of animals and conditions. That being the case, theoretically I would have to go with my 35 Whelen. I wouldn't feel under-gunned against anything in Alaska with it, and it isn't so big as to be overkill on anything down to deer. In reality, however, if I look back over the last several years, I find that I have done more killing with both my '06 and my 270. The 30-30 doesn't make anyone's list of all-around Alaska rifles, but I've done a fair bit of killing with that as well.
    It wasn't that many years ago that the .30.30 was on many people's list of all-around rifle in Alaska. Great deer gun in SE, great trapper gun and caribou gun in SW. My wife's uncle told me of a shot in which he killed a very distant beaver by holding well above it. Many guys would have a .30.30 and a .22 Colt Woodsman as their go-to guns. I've seen some REALLY rugged looking old lever guns out in the villages, but I'll bet the .223 is the new .30.30.

Comment

• I use my Marlin 336ER the most. .356Win. Now that I no longer live in Alaska. Light and easy to move around. Taken... Bou, elk, deer,blacks
      When in Ak. I caried .458 with hand loaded 350 gr HP (I know). Still trying to get an excuse to use my 30-378. Hope to take my son to a sheep hunt when he gets a little older. The most amo burned is the Ruger 10/22. good fun and cheap to shoot.

Comment

• Out of the choices on the poll that I have in my safe and bearing in mind I'm still working on getting up there permanently, if I could only use/bring one, I would be inclined to go with my LH 700 in 338 Magnum. I would switch from the 3-12 Sightron I have on it to a 1.5-4.5 or 2-7 of some sort on Wagner QD rings, and put on the XS trituim big dot express iron sights I got for it awhile back, with up close work on things that bite in mind. Even my slightly aged eyes can pick that big white front sight up. This rifle has a Gentry Quiet Brake on it, which reduces the recoil to or maybe a bit less than a 270 with 130 grainers. As it is blued I would have it re-finished in something more weather/salt spray proof...

If I could bring two, the decision on the second would be is easy; it would be the Remington 700 LH SS in 270 that my wife gave me as a wedding present. Have bumped off everything from p-dogs to a moose with it. God alone knows how many deer & goats have fallen to that rifle from up close to a couple shots over 400 yards. I have utmost confidence in it. Depending on where we end up living (ie, the chances of running into big bear), this rifle could easily remain my number one choice, as it has been for over a decade...

Both these rifle have been glass bedded and have the triggers set to 3.5lbs, and both shoot MOA or better.

If we're talking wish list here, I might be inclined to have Remingtton's Custom Shop build me a LH Alaskan Wilderness Rifle or Safari KS in 338 or maybe even 375. I would have them put a quiet brake on it, set the trigger to 3.5lbs, and use the above scope set up. Rather than Remington's iron sights put on a set of those XS tritium express sights. In fact if I can land a job, I might skim a couple thousand off the top of my severence pay & order this rifle up. Tough choice between the two...

Comment

• I can't pick just one, but my Kimber Montana in 300WSM and Kimber Talkeetna in 375 H&H will do it all.

Comment

• For me it's .350 rem mag. Especially in my Remington Mo.600. I've never owned a more accurate rifle. Bumble Bees are in danger when I'm in the woods with my "Lil Buddy" Caribou, Moose, Black-tail, Black Bear, Wolf, Sheep, and Goats too.

Comment

• 300 win mag gets my vote, although I love my ruger 7mm rem mag

Comment

• 338 wm i'm going to kodiak on a fall and spring brown bear hunts. I plan on using the 225 tsx. Any thoughts on the 250 ttsx. It will be my first time i think the 225 tsx will be ok. Any suggestions or opinions?

Comment

• Originally posted by BAJABRI View Post
                  338 wm i'm going to kodiak on a fall and spring brown bear hunts. I plan on using the 225 tsx. Any thoughts on the 250 ttsx. It will be my first time i think the 225 tsx will be ok. Any suggestions or opinions?
                  The 225-grain TSX should be fine, but the 250-grain TSX has a greater SD and the potential for more penetration. You can always take both with you, and use whichever load you like.

Comment

• .45/70. It's the only caliber rifle I've owned for the last 16 years, and all of my game has been taken with it. I am extremely comfortable with it, and confident in it in brown-and-fuzzy territory.

Comment

• The only two that will really do it all very well and don't kill on both ends are the .338 WM or the .325 wsm. A charging Brown Bear takes the others off the table.

Comment

• The .338 win mag is my favorite rifle for all around game in Alaska. I can load 160 gr tsx's for deer and light game and then the 225 fir everything else. Love the round.

Comment

• This pic with the 30-06 Handi-Rifle, dog, and zebra kills me.
                          Thanks for posting that AWill, makes me feel good about my new 06.

"When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

• Well, you know what they say - things change. I originally voted for the .300 WM because that's what I had at the time. I have since given that rifle away, and I just ordered a Marlin XL7 in 30-06. I've think I can hand-load for it to be ideal for a wide variety of game, and it is going to take the place of several other rifles. I'll still carry the S&W .460 in brown bear country as a back-up though.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Comment

• I shoot 250 TSX's out of my 338-06 ackley improved at around 2625fps your 338wm will do around 2725 with them, man they hit hard and deep shot a 1700lb Bison in SD broke shoulder and ribs going in and ribs going out walked 5 steps and rolled over. GO 250!!! if you want 225s you arent gaining hardly any on a 300wm with a 200 pretty much the same SD and the BC will be better on the 300wm. Just my opinion you got the 338 for a reason so use the reason its picked for.
                              RLTW
                              HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
                              WILL

Comment

• I voted for the 300 winny mag, but only because there wasn't the option for the .325WSM.
                                In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
                                _________________________________________________

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X