Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Your "all around" AK hunting rifle-caliber?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Your "all around" AK hunting rifle-caliber?

As we all know, every one of us has opinions on which rifle caliber is best as an "all around" big game hunting in Alaska, and just about every week somebody asks a question about the best rifle caliber for Alaska big gamehunting. I have created this poll once more, hoping that the web master can make it a "sticky" perhaps two or three months from today. This poll applies only to Alaska hunters. The idea is for newcomers, or just out of State hunters, to become informed by just looking at the poll results. Since these polls allow only for ten questions (10 calibers in this case), I will list the ten I believe are the most popular or common with Alaska hunters. But if I haven't listed but ten calibers, you can post whichever is you favorite all around big game hunting rifle.
    .30-06
    21.19%
    7mm Magum
    5.53%
    .300WM
    28.07%
    .338WM
    26.05%
    .45-70
    3.24%
    .35 Whelen
    2.43%
    .338-06
    1.75%
    .340 Weatherby
    2.29%
    .338RUM
    1.48%
    .375 H&H
    7.96%

The poll is expired.

.30 caliber.

(Wheres the .243W?)
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

wow no .270?
      "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

By the way, previous polls I have conducted in this and other Alaska forums have pointed to these four as the most common: .338WM, .300WM, .30-06, and .375 H&H. Lets see what happens this time

Comment

Originally posted by Vince View Post
          wow no .270?
          Only had room for ten calibers. while the .270 is quite a nice caliber, as a big game hunting rifle it may not be the best in bear country. Now, pared to a .338WM or a .375H&H it's just a wonderful cartridge.

Comment

And the race is on. Go 300WM!

Comment

I think it would be interesting if you had a pole with: .30, .338 , .375, etc

I don't understand why some people say 30-06 is better than 300 win mag or vice versa. A little velocity or recoil difference? Possibly a little difference of performance on game?

Comment

And where's the .308 Winchester? Oh well another poll it didn't make, But I still use it.

Comment

Originally posted by RayfromAK View Post
                  Only had room for ten calibers. while the .270 is quite a nice caliber, as a big game hunting rifle it may not be the best in bear country. Now, pared to a .338WM or a .375H&H it's just a wonderful cartridge.
                  In that case, I would have made choice 10 "Other". There are a whole lot of others.

Comment

I'm not sayin it's MY Choice, because it ISN'T.

Howsomever, I'd jist about betcha, 300 Magnum is the most popular here in the Greatland.

You'll see.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Beeg Deel.

Smitty of the North
                    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                    You can't out-give God.

Comment

I chose the .300 WM since it's the only one on the list I currently own. I will most likely use my 450 Marlin more for big game than the .300 though. There's another vote for Ralph's favorite though.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Comment

Soldier only my favorite on the list, you forget I'm an O'Conner die hard.

Comment

I might as well add my .02. I really like both the 30/06, and the 300wm. My go to rifle is my 280 remington from sheep to moose. I wouldn't use it on the big bears, but I don't hunt them very much anyways. So mine vote has to be for the 280 or even better a 280 AI.

Comment

I believe the 30-06 can do it all and probably a better choice than what I have used the last twenty years 45/70.
                            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

I voted what I carry each fall....375H&H. However, if I only had to have one rifle it would be the .30-06.

Doc

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X